Thread: Grandpas boning knife scale replacement project.

Threaded View

Grandpas boning knife scale replacement project.

I posted this knife up in another thread at Prepper Forums so you've seen how bad the wood was its been that way for a few decades as Grandpa had it wrapped with electrical tape :vs_shocked:

So one of members from PF contacted me and offered to help me out with some really neat knife scale stock
    Common Name(s): Purpleheart, Amaranth

Scientific Name: Peltogyne spp.

Distribution: Central and South America (from Mexico down to southern Brazil)

Rot Resistance: Purpleheart is rated as being very durable, and resists both decay and most insect attacks, though it has been reported to be susceptible to attack from marine borers.

https://www.wood-database.com/purpleheart/

I just got them in the mail yesterday so the project begins and nope I've never done this before so here we slowly go.

Step one I peeled off the old wood and then.....

Did a bunch of research on how I was going to attach the new scales. I think after seeing several ways to pin them or use Cutlery Rivets I think Im going to use epoxy and brass rod pins. Ive got lots of cleanup to do so this will be a slow ongoing project while I fit it in with my day job and my after work leather work and other duties. I'll post up the progress as it happens.

and a HUGE thanks to the kindness of that PF forum member who provided the wood stocks and sent them to me no charge.
    (I'd name him but I didn't ask him if I could so unless he pipes up its a secret)
    "The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath." W. C. Fields

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to hawgrider For This Useful Post:

Big Ken (01-22-2020),Inor (01-22-2020),Ricekila (02-05-2020),RubberDuck (01-22-2020)