Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Review: Cabela's Commercial-Grade Meat Slicer

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 34,019 Times in 10,450 Posts

Review: Cabela's Commercial-Grade Meat Slicer

Mrs Inor and I have been wanting a meat slicer for a couple of years. We have looked at bunches of them, from the cheap plastic crappy "home use" models for $80 to the full commercial grade deli slicers for $2000. This year for Christmas, we decided to take the plunge on the 10 inch Commercial-Grade Meat Slicer from Cabela's. We went over and bought it today because they were having a good sale and it was about $50 off the normal price.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabel...RI%3BIK-541003

My initial impression is that it is a really well made machine. It is heavy with the 10 inch model weighing about 35 pounds. Also, the entire machine is made of cast aluminum or steel, except for a small plastic guard. The feet are made of rubber, so it does not slide around on the counter when in use. Overall, it just feels like a very solidly built machine. It even included a nice canvas cover for it.

Running it, the motor starts a little slower than most kitchen appliances and it takes a second or so to come up to speed. I assume that is because it is wound to deliver torque rather than speed. Once it is up to speed, it runs pretty quietly. The slide table for the meat glides back and forth nicely and is obviously riding on bearings rather than just a slide track like some of the cheap models.

Clean up is really easy. The slide table is just held on with a single nut as is the blade guard. The blade itself is held on with three phillips screws. We were able to clean it well without removing the blade which is a good thing because the blade is insanely sharp.

We tested it by shaving up some prime rib that was left over from Christmas supper into very thin slices for sandwiches. It worked great and had no issues at all.

The thickness of the cut can easily be adjusted with a knob on the side and goes from 0 all the way out to just over an inch thick. That will be an added benefit we did not plan on as we like to buy high quality roasts and slice them into steaks ourselves to save money. (With standing rib roast going for $12 a pound and ribeye steaks going for $17 a pound, we just saved ourselves $5 per steak right there!)

The one negative so far is that the "push handle" to feed the meat into the slicer does not get close enough to the blade in my arrogant opinion. That means after the last slice, you are still left with about 1/2 or 3/4 inch of meat that cannot be sliced. I tried even putting another chunk of meat on top of the chunk I was trying to slice. But all that did was make the piece I was trying to slice fall down between the slide table and the blade. It was more of a minor annoyance than a drop dead issue though.

Finally, the instruction manual was also very well written. It was all in English and had good tips on how to use the slicer for meats, cheeses and breads too. So overall, we are very pleased with it. Now it is just a matter of trying to figure out where to keep it.
    Last edited by Inor; 12-26-2014 at 07:36 PM.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Inor For This Useful Post:

bigwheel (12-26-2014),Unclefred (06-14-2017)

Little Miss Chatterbox

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 1,623 Times in 767 Posts
    I'm jealous, I've wanted one for a while. I borrowed a cheap one from a buddy a while back and did up some london broil sandwiches for a party, worked great but the blade was serrated which I don't care for. Does the Cabela's slicer have a sharpener? I didn't see one in the picture but there may be an optional one you could buy, figured I'd ask.

Great review by the way.

-Infidel
    Custom Leather goods, check out the facebook page
    https://www.facebook.com/StuMillerLeatherWorks

Etsy Store:
    http://StuMillerLeather.Etsy.com

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Infidel View Post
    I'm jealous, I've wanted one for a while. I borrowed a cheap one from a buddy a while back and did up some london broil sandwiches for a party, worked great but the blade was serrated which I don't care for. Does the Cabela's slicer have a sharpener? I didn't see one in the picture but there may be an optional one you could buy, figured I'd ask.

Great review by the way.

-Infidel
    It includes a stone on a little plastic jig for sharpening. Obviously I do not know how well that works yet. But it seems like it will be pretty easy to do.

Nice! I could easily put ones of those to work. Looks like a decent one.
    "The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath." W. C. Fields

Little Miss Chatterbox

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 1,433 Times in 679 Posts
    Thanks for the report on that machine. I used to have an el cheapo model which really made me mad. Have come close to snagging a good one a few times but just aint made the leap yet.

New Kid on the Block
    Thanks
    Looks great! Keep it up.

Little Miss Chatterbox Unclefred's Avatar

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 2,574 Times in 1,186 Posts
    Two critiques here- half of the manual, the first half, should have been in Spanish. Secondly, it's the plastic piece that will get you.

I would love to have one of those!

I just noticed Cherry revived a necro-thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Unclefred View Post
    Two critiques here- half of the manual, the first half, should have been in Spanish. Secondly, it's the plastic piece that will get you.

I would love to have one of those!

I just noticed Cherry revived a necro-thread.
    If that one doesn't come clean soon its going to get its cherry popped!
    "The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath." W. C. Fields

10. The Following User Says Thank You to hawgrider For This Useful Post:

Unclefred (06-14-2017)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    I wrote that review right after we bought the thing and had only used it once. So I suppose I should do an update...

That machine was the biggest piece-of-crap-waste-of-money that we have bought in a LONG LONG time! We ended up giving it to my sister-in-law who sold it in her garage sale for about $12.

The dogs loved it. I was slicing up a venison roast to make jerky and the damn thing threw more meat onto the ceiling than it did on the plate. The dogs sat under it as it was raining meat, thinking "manna from heaven".

If you are thinking of buying one of these pieces of shit, do yourself a favor and just send the money to me instead. You will save yourself all kinds of frustration.
    Admin for the most politically correct site on the web. Welcome to the OTP!

Follow our house build: http://www.mtacres.net/

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Inor For This Useful Post:

Dwight55 (11-25-2017),hawgrider (06-14-2017),OSFG (11-25-2017),Unclefred (06-14-2017)

Little Miss Chatterbox Unclefred's Avatar

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 2,574 Times in 1,186 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hawgrider View Post
    If that one doesn't come clean soon its going to get its cherry popped!
    Cherry is in 'Alaska'.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast