Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Selling All of My Reloading Equipment

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 14,186 Times in 4,307 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Innkeeper View Post
    Once I am happy with my reloading skills I will get a progressive. But I am still learning and trying things so I love the single stage.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    I'm on my second progressive Hornady . . . my niece and her husband talked me out of my first one.

I built an automatic case feeder for this one . . . makes things go super fast.

Rather than spend the money on a single stage . . . let me encourage you to go the Hornady progressive route up front. You can do anything on the progressive you can on a single stage and do it so much faster. You can also be a bit more precise . . . the repeatability in my progressive is more predictable than in any of my three other ones.

For example . . . I decap all my MT's then toss them in the cleaner . . . come back and inspect them . . . resize them . . . prime them . . . put them in containers. Then when I'm ready for another batch . . . all I have to do is add powder . . . add bullet . . . crimp . . . done.

On a single stage . . . for each rifle bullet reloaded you handle each case at least twice as many times as with a progressive . . . and if you are doing 500 rounds . . . that's 500 extra steps to get the same result I did . . . with 500 less steps. For .45 ACP . . . I put em on . . . then stack em in the containers . . . handle em twice in the progressive . . . single stage means you handle each one 5 times at least before you stack em in the containers.

It does not take long for a single stage reloader to get old hat.

If you do go progressive . . . personal opinion I would not buy a Lee . . . I had one . . . never again. Hornady and Dillon are great products.

May God bless,
    Dwight
    If you can breathe, . . . thank God.

If you can read, . . . thank a teacher.

If you can read in English, . . . thank a veteran.

www.dwightsgunleather.com

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dwight55 For This Useful Post:

Innkeeper (07-11-2020),shootbrownelk (08-05-2020)

Don't get too close, I bite! Innkeeper's Avatar

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 7,310 Times in 3,090 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwight55 View Post
    I'm on my second progressive Hornady . . . my niece and her husband talked me out of my first one.

I built an automatic case feeder for this one . . . makes things go super fast.

Rather than spend the money on a single stage . . . let me encourage you to go the Hornady progressive route up front. You can do anything on the progressive you can on a single stage and do it so much faster. You can also be a bit more precise . . . the repeatability in my progressive is more predictable than in any of my three other ones.

For example . . . I decap all my MT's then toss them in the cleaner . . . come back and inspect them . . . resize them . . . prime them . . . put them in containers. Then when I'm ready for another batch . . . all I have to do is add powder . . . add bullet . . . crimp . . . done.

On a single stage . . . for each rifle bullet reloaded you handle each case at least twice as many times as with a progressive . . . and if you are doing 500 rounds . . . that's 500 extra steps to get the same result I did . . . with 500 less steps. For .45 ACP . . . I put em on . . . then stack em in the containers . . . handle em twice in the progressive . . . single stage means you handle each one 5 times at least before you stack em in the containers.

It does not take long for a single stage reloader to get old hat.

If you do go progressive . . . personal opinion I would not buy a Lee . . . I had one . . . never again. Hornady and Dillon are great products.

May God bless,
    Dwight
    Thanks for the info, I always enjoy education here. I have actually had my Hornady single stage for about 4 years now, being single, and doing nothing in winter but work and a little hunting I have had the free time to play around. My early practice was in using fresh brass so less steps. I have been eyeing progressives just as you say to save work. I save a lil here and there to pay it is just deciding which and then the follow through.

"Firearms are second only to the constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth"
    George Washington

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 5,604 Times in 2,016 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Innkeeper View Post
    Once I am happy with my reloading skills I will get a progressive. But I am still learning and trying things so I love the single stage.

One of the smartest damn things I've ever read on a gun forum!
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Innkeeper again.

Joe

5. The Following User Says Thank You to red442joe For This Useful Post:

shootbrownelk (08-05-2020)

Little Miss Chatterbox

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 1,623 Times in 767 Posts
    A turret press is a good compromise between a single stage and a progressive. It's what I use for all my volume reloading (all handgun & .223). Everything else is done on a single stage so I have more control over it.
    Custom Leather goods, check out the facebook page
    https://www.facebook.com/StuMillerLeatherWorks

Etsy Store:
    http://StuMillerLeather.Etsy.com

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Infidel For This Useful Post:

Innkeeper (07-14-2020),shootbrownelk (08-05-2020)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 33,021 Times in 14,691 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Keep Your Head Up, And your Stick On The Ice.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BucketBack For This Useful Post:

Innkeeper (07-15-2020),shootbrownelk (08-05-2020)

New Kid on the Block
    Thanks
    Myrtle Beach, SC. You are in Michigan?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12