Thread: Urban and Suburban Flight to the Country

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 4,426 Times in 2,020 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Slippy View Post
    South Dakota OR Wyoming for sure.
    Wyoming or Alaska for me.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    "Firearms are second only to the constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth"
    George Washington

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Innkeeper For This Useful Post:

Prepared One (08-04-2020),Slippy (08-03-2020),StratMaster (08-04-2020)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 7,664 Times in 2,690 Posts
    Thankfully . . . my 10 acres is in front of 80 some odd that will never be broken up further.

My west neighbor is the local State hunting preserve / state park . . . it ain't gonna change in my life time.

My east neighbor has about 10 acres as well . . . it'll stay as is.

The only question mark is the south neighbor . . . a 200 acre field . . . that could be subdivided into upscale plots. . . . except it is on the border of two "lesser" counties . . . and all the snooty folks really don't want there . . . so for at least my lifetime of less than another 25 years . . . my humble abode is safe as long as the property taxes don't skyrocket.

Sometimes I sit out front with a cup of coffee . . . biggest sound is a crow in the distance . . . a hummingbird passing thru . . . or my flag flapping in the breeze.

I like where we are . . .

May God bless,
    Dwight
    If you can breathe, . . . thank God.

If you can read, . . . thank a teacher.

If you can read in English, . . . thank a veteran.

www.dwightsgunleather.com

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Dwight55 For This Useful Post:

Innkeeper (07-31-2020),Inor (07-31-2020),MountainGirl (08-03-2020),Slippy (08-03-2020),StratMaster (08-04-2020)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 23,570 Times in 8,202 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Slippy View Post
    When we bought Slippy Lodge, the closest town (3 miles away) was a 1 Stop-Light town with a Hardware Store, BBQ Restaurant, 1 Fast Food Restaurant, 2 gas stations, 1 Auto Repair Shop and 1 Seasonal Farmers Market Stand. The next closest town was approx 8-10 miles away.

Farms, Recreational Hunting Property, Single Family homes on acreage and undeveloped land were our neighbors. The immediate land around me (approx 2000 acres) was owned by Weekend Recreational people and Forestry Owned land. My land was Zoned Agricultural (AG) when I bought it, and we petitioned it to be zoned Agricultural PRESERVE (AG-P)and it was approved.

The research that I did made me believe that Ag Preserve would help me from being surrounded by Developments and growth

Well, this week I received a certified letter from the town nearest me that the land that borders mine (forestry land also zoned Ag-P)) was just bought by a developer and the town was going to vote to change the land's zoning to Residential/Development from Ag Preserve (as mine is).

So I called the mayor to ask what will happen and if I am screwed. The mayor assured me that he was committed to keeping all the AG Preserve Land as AG-P not Residential.

Regardless, my land is outside the city limits but growth is coming. At this point I am safe but awaiting the results of the vote.

FUBAR!
    Just because developer owns the land and has big plans for it, does not really mean anything yet...

The land we built M.T. Acres on was owned by a developer. Back in the 1960's and 70's they bought it and intended it to become the next Sun City. The land was all subdivided into 1 1/2 acre lots and dirt roads were put in. In the 80's, the phone company even ran phone lines to each lot. Back then, the little town about 4 miles from us (no stoplights) was booming. It had 3-4 restaurants, a couple of gas stations and various other businesses and even a golf course.

Nothing ever happened with the developer or their plans. The developer eventually went bankrupt and much of the land around us went into tax default. (We have been buying small bits and chunks as we discover a piece at a decent price and we have the cash on hand to pay green cash for it.)

Anyway, as far as the town goes... We do now have 2 restaurants (a new one just opened a few months ago), no gas stations, an auto repair shop, a gun store and a hardware store. The golf course closed and the land was bought by a rich doctor outside Tucson who is in the process of turning it into a vineyard. In other words, the developer lost his shirt on the land and we and several others were able to benefit from it by getting some land cheap.

So all hope is not lost.
    Admin for the most politically correct site on the web. Welcome to the OTP!

Follow our house build: http://www.mtacres.net/

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Inor For This Useful Post:

Innkeeper (07-31-2020),MountainGirl (08-03-2020),Slippy (07-31-2020),StratMaster (08-04-2020)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwight55 View Post
    Thankfully . . . my 10 acres is in front of 80 some odd that will never be broken up further.

My west neighbor is the local State hunting preserve / state park . . . it ain't gonna change in my life time.

My east neighbor has about 10 acres as well . . . it'll stay as is.

The only question mark is the south neighbor . . . a 200 acre field . . . that could be subdivided into upscale plots. . . . except it is on the border of two "lesser" counties . . . and all the snooty folks really don't want there . . . so for at least my lifetime of less than another 25 years . . . my humble abode is safe as long as the property taxes don't skyrocket.

Sometimes I sit out front with a cup of coffee . . . biggest sound is a crow in the distance . . . a hummingbird passing thru . . . or my flag flapping in the breeze.

I like where we are . . .

May God bless,
    Dwight
    I like your spot a LOT! You have a great plot of land in a great area.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Inor For This Useful Post:

Dwight55 (07-31-2020),Innkeeper (07-31-2020),Slippy (07-31-2020)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 7,664 Times in 2,690 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Inor View Post
    I like your spot a LOT! You have a great plot of land in a great area.
    Maybe when this wuhan flu thing is past tense . . . I may have to come and pet that donkey . . .

Man . . . I got a case of cabin fever like you ain't never seen.

This is THE LONGEST time I've stayed put since I was a senior in HS . . . and that was over 50 years ago.

Ugh.............

May God bless,
    Dwight
    If you can breathe, . . . thank God.

If you can read, . . . thank a teacher.

If you can read in English, . . . thank a veteran.

www.dwightsgunleather.com

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dwight55 For This Useful Post:

Innkeeper (07-31-2020),Inor (07-31-2020)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwight55 View Post
    Maybe when this wuhan flu thing is past tense . . . I may have to come and pet that donkey . . .

Man . . . I got a case of cabin fever like you ain't never seen.

This is THE LONGEST time I've stayed put since I was a senior in HS . . . and that was over 50 years ago.

Ugh.............

May God bless,
    Dwight
    Anytime you want, of course you are welcome!

Even the virus is not bad here. AZ is one of the "hotspots", but our little valley is largely untouched. No masks, no restrictions to speak of... The only thing I do notice is when we got to the city once per month to go shopping; it is virus hyper-crazy there and they are periodically sold out of the weirdest things. The last time we were there (about 2 weeks ago) dog food was hard to come by. TP and people-food was all fully stocked, but dog food was very low. The time before that, you could not get pre-made iced tea to save your soul. Go figure...

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Inor For This Useful Post:

Dwight55 (08-01-2020),Innkeeper (07-31-2020),Slippy (08-03-2020),StratMaster (08-04-2020)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 6,317 Times in 2,828 Posts
    I feel for you all. NOT!
    I live on a 1/4 Acre postage stamp, have aircraft on Final flying oer my head, and, I see they are putting in ANOTHER Amazon Distribution Center 1/2 mile down the road. The State has just shoved throught a bill (which No-Brain Ned signed) that takes away personal liability protection from the cops, which basically means that they are open to lawsuit for doing their jobs. How long do you think they will stay on the job?
    Yes, I would love to get the hell away from here, but honestly, its not happenning in my near future.

The moral of the story?
    As bad as you THINK you have it, someone is in deeper shit than you. Be happy.
    My retirement plan is: Civilization will probably crumble before I'm 65 and money will be meaningless anyway.

14. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to TJC44 For This Useful Post:

Innkeeper (08-03-2020),Inor (08-03-2020),Prepared One (08-04-2020),Ricekila (08-03-2020),Slippy (08-03-2020),StratMaster (08-04-2020)

Don't get too close, I bite! Ricekila's Avatar

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 10,433 Times in 4,006 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TJC44 View Post
    The moral of the story?
    As bad as you THINK you have it, someone is in deeper shit than you. Be happy.
    I'm in NY --

NRA Instructor / RSO & NRA Life Member / S.A.F.E. Armorer / 03-FFL / Moist Nugget gun nut / Venturing Crew COR / Ammosexual / And a right wing Republican Jew with guns

And Epstein didn't kill himself

Μολών Λaβέ

16. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Ricekila For This Useful Post:

hawgrider (08-04-2020),Innkeeper (08-03-2020),Inor (08-03-2020),Prepared One (08-04-2020),Slippy (08-03-2020),StratMaster (08-04-2020)

VIP Member!

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 2,515 Times in 888 Posts
    We live on 2 1/2 acres which will change in the nest 2 months. When we settle the estate we will have 35 acres. Now I don't feel land locked and a little more conformable. We will have a new neighbor when the estate house sells. I'm hoping for a retiring couple but who knows who I will end up with. Which is several hundred feet away. There will be a new pond built between the houses this fall or early spring. I have no other neighbors for now. South of me I doubt they ever sale its supposed to be give to her grandson as his Dad is buried on the property. West of me is a large tract that is leased for hunting and one day could be developed but I live in a rural county so maybe not. West of me is another tract that the owner might build on one day but after taking with him he has his doubts he will build on it. He uses it for hunting. So for now I'm happy where I'm at but who knows what the future brings. I would have never predicts losing both my Mom and Stepdad in the same year and then the Corona Virus on top of that.
    Last edited by Broncosfan; 08-04-2020 at 06:10 AM.

18. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Broncosfan For This Useful Post:

Innkeeper (08-04-2020),Inor (08-03-2020),MountainGirl (08-03-2020),Slippy (08-04-2020),StratMaster (08-04-2020)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Broncosfan View Post
    We live on 2 1/2 acres which will change in the nest 2 months. When we settle the estate we will have 35 acres. Now I don't feel land locked and a little more conformable. We will have a new neighbor when the estate house sells. I'm hoping for a retiring couple but who knows who I will end up with. Which is several hundred feet away. There will be a new pond built between the houses this fall or early spring. I have no other neighbors for now. South of me I doubt they every sale its supposed to be give to her grandson as his Dad is buried on the property. West of me is a large tract that is leased for hunting and one day could be developed but I live in a rural county so maybe not. West of me is another tract that the owner might build on one day but after taking with him he has his doubts he will build on it. He uses it for hunting. So for now I'm happy where I'm at but who knows what the future brings. I would have never predicts losing both my Mom and Stepdad in the same year and then the Corona Virus on top of that.
    You have had a damn rough year. You deserve a few breaks going your way. I will be keeping my fingers crossed for you.

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Inor For This Useful Post:

Broncosfan (08-04-2020),Innkeeper (08-04-2020),Slippy (08-04-2020),StratMaster (08-04-2020)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast