Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Hawg Hens

Hawg Hens

Yep Ive got chickens....

Here is the coop and kennel run.

Inside view
    Notice the poop board that makes keeping my pine shavings cleaner. Pull the board out scrape into wheel barrel then to compost pile.
    This is the winter set up. Food inside coop and water fountain on a hot plate to keep from freezing.

This coop originally had 6 nesting boxes. Removed 2 nesting boxes to make room for inside feeder.

Had 6 hen's. Now Im down to 3 hens had to cull a couple birds for various reasons.

This bird at the time of the pic was going into a molt Damn thing didn't give me any eggs for weeks and weeks. It was doing the drunk walk And losing feathers.

As the amount of light shortened per day as winter was approaching the other 2 hens started to quit laying. So I added artificial light in the coop to keep these broads laying. Finally just today the molting hen started to carry her weight again. 3 hens 3 eggs today. Isa brown lay over 300 eggs a day.

"The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath." W. C. Fields

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to hawgrider For This Useful Post:

Gambit (08-03-2016),Innkeeper (03-05-2015),MI.oldguy (03-04-2015),RWalls (08-13-2015),slewfoot (01-25-2016),Slippy (03-08-2015)

Site Addict

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Nice set up, where did you find the nesting boxes

Quote Originally Posted by Jeep View Post
    Nice set up, where did you find the nesting boxes
    Thanks.
    I bought the coop used. They were in it. I have seen them at tractor supply they aren't cheap $19.00 a piece last time I looked at them.
    "The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath." W. C. Fields

5. The Following User Says Thank You to hawgrider For This Useful Post:

Gambit (08-03-2016)

Site Addict

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Still if its long term, thats not bad, most hobbies and stuff are front end heavy for cash

Found my way back to the barn. Baglady's Avatar

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 4,163 Times in 1,868 Posts
    I like the coop! It's always a challenge to find options to keep water from freezing, without electricity.
    That's one of my issues for the dogs. Temps here this week below freezing.
    Nice size eggs too.
    Being cremated...my last chance for a SMOKING HOT BODY!!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Baglady For This Useful Post:

Gambit (08-03-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by Baglady View Post
    I like the coop! It's always a challenge to find options to keep water from freezing, without electricity.
    That's one of my issues for the dogs. Temps here this week below freezing.
    Nice size eggs too.
    The only improvement I could do to the coop is add a clean out door on the oppisite side of the nesting boxes. As it is now ive got to reach way in with a rake to clean out the chips and chicken poo. Ive kinda gone to the deep litter method for winter im just going to keep adding some fresh pine chips once in a while on top and let the poo brew for the winter it will give the hens some warmth as the poo brews.

They have heated water dog dishes but if there is no juice available where you keep the water dish how are you dealing with the freezing issues?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to hawgrider For This Useful Post:

Gambit (08-03-2016)

Found my way back to the barn. Baglady's Avatar

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 4,163 Times in 1,868 Posts
    We use 5 gallon buckets for water for the dogs. I use a hoe to bust the ice.
    I actually have a 5 gal. horse watering bucket that has a cord and heat element, but no electricity..

I thought of one thing you could do to keep your shavings expense to $0. Rake up pine needles.
    Being cremated...my last chance for a SMOKING HOT BODY!!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Baglady For This Useful Post:

Gambit (08-03-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by Baglady View Post
    We use 5 gallon buckets for water for the dogs. I use a hoe to bust the ice.
    I actually have a 5 gal. horse watering bucket that has a cord and heat element, but no electricity..

I thought of one thing you could do to keep your shavings expense to $0. Rake up pine needles.
    My better half was just telling me the chickens supposedly like to eat white pine needles? She read it somewhere probably pinterest or that dreaded facebook thingy

Good idea with the pine needles as bedding. Just so happens I have a white pine and a red pine and 2 blue spruce

14. The Following User Says Thank You to hawgrider For This Useful Post:

Gambit (08-03-2016)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 34,019 Times in 10,450 Posts
    Cool thread! Thanks Hawg. Mrs Inor wants to get into chicken and goat ranching once we get moved. I am little on the apprehensive side just due to the amount of work involved and my travel schedule.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Inor For This Useful Post:

Gambit (08-03-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by Inor View Post
    Cool thread! Thanks Hawg. Mrs Inor wants to get into chicken and goat ranching once we get moved. I am little on the apprehensive side just due to the amount of work involved and my travel schedule.
    Its honast work but its work especially in the winter

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast