Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Hawg Hens

Don't get too close, I bite! Innkeeper's Avatar

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 7,310 Times in 3,090 Posts
    Yeah we are probably going to add a half a dozen chickens this spring I just am not sure where I want to put a coop, plus with the 2 bird dogs not sure I want the chickens free range like JL wants. Luckily old man winter still holds sway , plenty of time to decide what to do.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Innkeeper For This Useful Post:

hawgrider (03-05-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by Innkeeper View Post
    Yeah we are probably going to add a half a dozen chickens this spring I just am not sure where I want to put a coop, plus with the 2 bird dogs not sure I want the chickens free range like JL wants. Luckily old man winter still holds sway , plenty of time to decide what to do.
    My daughter and son inlaw have a German short hair. It was harassing their chickens so much they were stressed and quit laying. It would run around the penned in area just harassing the hell out of them. They had to tie the dog and get a shock collar to control the barking. Then it took a good 3 weeks for the chickens to slowly start laying again.
    "The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath." W. C. Fields

4. The Following User Says Thank You to hawgrider For This Useful Post:

Innkeeper (03-06-2015)

Here's the new motley crew. Every body got some frost bite on the combs this year. Wicked cold in the north this year.

Last edited by hawgrider; 03-07-2015 at 06:56 PM.
    "The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath." W. C. Fields

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hawgrider For This Useful Post:

Arklatex (03-08-2015),Reptilicus (03-07-2015),Slippy (03-08-2015)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 8,673 Times in 3,616 Posts
    That's a nice setup.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Arklatex For This Useful Post:

hawgrider (03-08-2015)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 25,161 Times in 7,062 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hawgrider View Post
    Here's the new motley crew. Every body got some frost bite on the combs this year. Wicked cold in the north this year.

Mrs S's dad is getting too old to tend to his chickens so he has promised us some whenever we are ready. Your thread has motivated me. Nice job Hawg!

Plus fresh eggs are DEE-Lishous!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Slippy For This Useful Post:

hawgrider (03-08-2015)

Occasionally Replies Back jeff70's Avatar
    Thanks
    We got 3 new chicks yesterday, so in a few months we will have 6 total in the coup.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to jeff70 For This Useful Post:

hawgrider (03-08-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by Slippy View Post
    Mrs S's dad is getting too old to tend to his chickens so he has promised us some whenever we are ready. Your thread has motivated me. Nice job Hawg!

Plus fresh eggs are DEE-Lishous!
    Its cool to have the chickens around its kinda fun. And like you said the eggs are the best.

Fired up the rototillers today.

The other ones are mowing the grass.

Got 7 eggs today. The new hens are starting to earn their keep.
    The pic is the first 5 eggs at about 8:30 am the other two eggs were afternoon.

Once there were 9 now there are 7
    Culled 2 birds. Reason- Egg yolk peritonitis in one bird. Drop egg no shell from another. Problem solved.
    The laying season is in full swing over 14 hours of natural daylight now. 7 chickens 7 eggs most days. Life is good.

And so are the eggs!

Bird flu is running wild. It now hits Mi. and eggs and chicken meat prices are going up fast.
    Ive been told by my better half that store bought egg prices have already doubled.

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast