Thanks
    Thanked 14,273 Times in 4,332 Posts

Limed Eggs???

A friend shared this with me . . .

Just passing it on.

May God bless,
    Dwight
    ______

No. These are not pickled eggs. These are homegrown, unwashed eggs stored in lime water. The lime water fills in all the pores of the egg and encases them in a shell of "glass". Water glassed eggs can last stored at room temperature like this for up to 2 years. This method of preserving raw eggs has been used since the 1800s and was common even into the 1940s and 50s. When refrigerators became a standard kitchen appliance, water glassing almost became a lost art.
    You cannot use commercial eggs for this because they have all had the protective coating (bloom) washed off the shell and will quickly go bad. I recently scrambled up 18 eggs that had been stored in lime water for 7 months on an unrefrigerated cupboard shelf. They tasted perfectly fresh (although the yoke seemed a bit thinner than fresh eggs).
    Anyhow, if you have an abundance of fresh, unwashed eggs, you might want to try putting some away for later. The ratio is one ounce (by weight) of lime (calcium hydroxide) to one quart of water. Calcium hydroxide is a completely natural, organic ingredient, although the powder is very fine and may irritate your lungs if you breathe it in. You can find pickling lime (see picture) wherever canning supplies are sold. The lime water also quickly dried out the skin on my hands and I had to apply lotion to get them back to normal. The jars do not need to be sealed in any way, other than to keep the water clean. If you can't drink your culinary tap water, use filtered water. When you do use the eggs, be sure to rinse them thoroughly before you crack them or they will taste like lime.
    FYI: a gallon size container will store about 40 eggs. It can be plastic or glass and should be covered with some sort of lid to keep out dust and bugs. Lime is also known as calcium hydroxide or hydrated lime. You can buy it in 50 pound bags in the masonry section of the hardware store, or in 1 pound bags in the canning section of the grocery store....often labeled as "pickling lime". Original post by Holly Jessop
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails limed eggs.jpg  
    If you can breathe, . . . thank God.

If you can read, . . . thank a teacher.

If you can read in English, . . . thank a veteran.

www.dwightsgunleather.com

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dwight55 For This Useful Post:

Broncosfan (10-17-2020),Innkeeper (10-17-2020),Ricekila (10-18-2020),Sparkyprep (10-18-2020)

Don't get too close, I bite! Gambit's Avatar

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 13,042 Times in 5,248 Posts
    egg farts
    It happened before, it can happen again.
    It happened there, it can happen here.
    It happened to that person, it can happen to you.
    No one is immune to the trials and tribulations of life.

I'm not allowed at the Zoo anymore...

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Gambit For This Useful Post:

Ricekila (10-18-2020)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 5,643 Times in 2,025 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gambit View Post
    egg farts
    Poop jokes!
    You went right to poop jokes!
    LOLz

Joe

6. The Following User Says Thank You to red442joe For This Useful Post:

Ricekila (10-18-2020)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 17,534 Times in 6,092 Posts
    Egg-zack-lee --

NRA Instructor / RSO & NRA Life Member / NYSRPA member / GOA member / S.A.F.E. Armorer / 03-FFL / Moist Nugget gun nut / Venturing Crew COR / Ammosexual / Wayne County PA - visitors CCW holder / And a right wing Republican Jew with guns

The word liberal is a misnomer ( look it up )

And Epstein didn't kill himself

Μολών Λaβέ