Thread: Anyone start and maintain a sourdough starter?

Experimental User
    Thanks

Anyone start and maintain a sourdough starter?

I started one and it seems to be developing slower then it is suppose to. It's about two weeks old.

Feeding it every 12 hours. It smells right. It bubbles, but it doesn't grow.

It's kept a few degrees below what is ideal, but still seems slow. Do I just need more patience? Should I start over?

More info, started it with unbleached flour. 1/1 part flour/water by weight. Consistency seems right.

Fed it with whole wheat flour this morning and put it on a heating pad at the lowest setting for the day.

VIP Member!

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Grow? I have starter in the fridge in a glass "crock" and forget to feed it for months. Take it out and throw some flour and water in when I remember and it is fine. It never gets bigger or "grows".

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    This was posted earlier if it will help any.

http://www.theoutdoortradingpost.com...ead.php?t=1344
    What's the difference between a crackhead and a tweaker?
    The crackhead will steal your shit and bounce--the tweaker will steal your shit and then help you look for it.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to James m For This Useful Post:

Eagles700LvL (01-09-2015)

Experimental User
    Thanks
    MrsInor:

So I'm in idiot. When I look at the information I started it with I was assuming it would grow because everyone warned of it become too much quickly. What they meant was when you are feeding it to start it, if you don't get rid of some you will have to much too quickly. For some reason I expected it to rise like dough.

That being said, do the bubbles indicate it's ready to go? I liked to make some bread then put in the fridge so I can stop actively maintaining it.

James: Thanks for the link!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Eagles700LvL For This Useful Post:

James m (01-09-2015)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    You're welcome for the link.

You forgot about something in the fridge for a month or two? What else is in there, is there any Chinese take out left over from the boxer rebellion?
    What's the difference between a crackhead and a tweaker?
    The crackhead will steal your shit and bounce--the tweaker will steal your shit and then help you look for it.

Little Miss Chatterbox
    Thanks
    When I feed my starter the night before I am going to use it I add the amount that the recipe calls for.
    My bread recipe calls for two cups of starter so, I add two cups of flour and two cups of warm water. I put it on top of the fridge in the winter months because it is warmer there but during the rest of the year it just sets out on the counter. By the next morning it has risen to almost double the volume it was when I fed it and it is ready to make bread. I always remove one cup (after stirring it down) to keep for the next time. I actually use two starters. I use it often enough that I have to alternate between the starters to let them age a little. The longer it ages the more sour it befomes. If you are constantly using it and feeding it the starter will lose its sour and taste like yeast bread instead of sourdough.
    ==============================
    live, work, love and be all you are meant to be.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pauls For This Useful Post:

Dwight55 (01-12-2015),Inor (01-12-2015)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 14,346 Times in 4,344 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by James m View Post
    You're welcome for the link.

You forgot about something in the fridge for a month or two? What else is in there, is there any Chinese take out left over from the boxer rebellion?
    If it don't turn green or grow hair, . . . probably still good.

And if it is a kinda blue green , . . . ain't that the stuff pennicillin is made out of???

May God bless,
    Dwight
    If you can breathe, . . . thank God.

If you can read, . . . thank a teacher.

If you can read in English, . . . thank a veteran.

www.dwightsgunleather.com

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Dwight55 For This Useful Post:

James m (01-12-2015)

Dinky Dau

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Mine sits out on the counter and I add a little flour and water every week or so. When I decide to use it, like Paul, I add what I need to it and let it sit overnight. If I don't use it for quite some time and keep feeding it, it does get quite a bit in my crock and I just make up a batch of bread. Not that it's a bad thing to make fresh bread (I don't eat enough bread to ever buy it, but I do enjoy it).

After a while mine gets a liquid on top of it, just mix it back in.

VIP Member!

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    I went ahead and dumped the old stuff and started anew. It is doing just fine. I keep it in the fridge just because I hate to lose the counter space. And this time I made the starter with wheat flour.

Little Miss Chatterbox
    Thanks
    That dark liquid on top of the starter is from the "sour bugs"! it gives the sour dough its "sour". Just stir it back in and feed it.

If too much forms then you should use it as soon as possible. There is a balance between the yeast and the sour that you want to keep right. Too much sour and the yeast starts to die - that is why you feed it after stirring it back in.
    ==============================
    live, work, love and be all you are meant to be.