Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Small comms advice needed

VIP Member!

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 1,253 Times in 400 Posts
    If you can establish line of sight WIFI could be an option. Point to point radios that can easily cover a couple miles would cost about <$250.00 each. Attach local omni radios to cover whatever area of each homestead desired.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to MoreAmmoOK For This Useful Post:

MountainGirl (11-11-2020)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 34,121 Times in 10,468 Posts
    I don't know what the hell this radio they gave me is. But it is the same Motorola hardware that our Sheriff's department and the Border Patrol use. The guy that gave us the radio knows this stuff and pre-programmed it with 3 channels. Channel 1 is "The Community Channel". It sends the signal to an antenna about 8 miles from M.T. Acres and the antenna broadcasts it to the other radios. That one seems to be good for about 20-30 miles and seems to even do pretty well when you get into the mountains.

Channel 1 also has the ability to do encryption. From talking to the guy, the encryption setup is pretty cool and really the only part of the conversation that I really understood. He used an algorithm that is a knock-off of the 256 bit PGP algorithm that is used on a lot of computer networks. But the cool part is he seeds the algorithm with a key that is automatically generated from atmospheric noise and the seed is regenerated every minute.

Channel 2 is just a radio-to-radio channel. It works, but only right in the valley and only has a range of a couple miles. Basically, it is a glorified walkie-talkie.

Channel 3 is some other channel that is set up for emergencies only (whatever that means).

The only other thing I know about it is you really do NOT want to let the battery get low! When the battery gets too low it starts playing this little electric tune that sounds like it was composed by a manically depressed Japanese guy! It started that about midnight the first night we got it. I damn near shit myself thinking the smoke alarm was trying to take over the house!
    Admin for the most politically correct site on the web. Welcome to the OTP!

Follow our house build: http://www.mtacres.net/

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Inor For This Useful Post:

Broncosfan (11-12-2020),Innkeeper (11-12-2020),juskom95 (11-11-2020),MountainGirl (11-11-2020),Slippy (11-11-2020)

Got butthurt in August 2021 Back Pack Hack's Avatar

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 3,166 Times in 1,182 Posts
    Maybe something like wireless mesh communication systems such as GoTenna.
    Keep calm and try setting SCE to AUX.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Back Pack Hack For This Useful Post:

MountainGirl (11-11-2020)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 15,352 Times in 5,125 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MoreAmmoOK View Post
    If you can establish line of sight WIFI could be an option. Point to point radios that can easily cover a couple miles would cost about <$250.00 each. Attach local omni radios to cover whatever area of each homestead desired.
    Hi MoreAmmo - Not sure how a WIFI setup would work without internet or cell service... what am I missing? Thanks!

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Back Pack Hack View Post
    Maybe something like wireless mesh communication systems such as GoTenna.
    Wow. I'll need to explore that site again; atm the mesh concept for this would take some thought. I recall some time back reading about a lost pet app that works on a similar idea. Thanks for the link, most appreciated

9. The Following User Says Thank You to MountainGirl For This Useful Post:

Innkeeper (11-12-2020)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Inor View Post
    I don't know what the hell this radio they gave me is. But it is the same Motorola hardware that our Sheriff's department and the Border Patrol use. The guy that gave us the radio knows this stuff and pre-programmed it with 3 channels. Channel 1 is "The Community Channel". It sends the signal to an antenna about 8 miles from M.T. Acres and the antenna broadcasts it to the other radios. That one seems to be good for about 20-30 miles and seems to even do pretty well when you get into the mountains.

Channel 1 also has the ability to do encryption. From talking to the guy, the encryption setup is pretty cool and really the only part of the conversation that I really understood. He used an algorithm that is a knock-off of the 256 bit PGP algorithm that is used on a lot of computer networks. But the cool part is he seeds the algorithm with a key that is automatically generated from atmospheric noise and the seed is regenerated every minute.

Channel 2 is just a radio-to-radio channel. It works, but only right in the valley and only has a range of a couple miles. Basically, it is a glorified walkie-talkie.

Channel 3 is some other channel that is set up for emergencies only (whatever that means).

The only other thing I know about it is you really do NOT want to let the battery get low! When the battery gets too low it starts playing this little electric tune that sounds like it was composed by a manically depressed Japanese guy! It started that about midnight the first night we got it. I damn near shit myself thinking the smoke alarm was trying to take over the house!
    ROFL!! Who needs Alexa when a smoke alarm will do!

Sounds like you really got hooked up there; not only with the radio but with all the Galts. I re-read an old thread of mine (What's the best way to listen?) and we've really changed our thinking about 'listening only' and handling everything solo. We've established really good relationships with two of our neighbors and I can see where it'll be beneficial to act/react with help. We won't be nearly as setup as Mt Acres, but that's okay and I'm glad you got invited to jump down the rabbit hole.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MountainGirl For This Useful Post:

Innkeeper (11-12-2020),Inor (11-12-2020)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by OSFG View Post
    I recommend CB's with base station at each house and mobile units or hand helds for traveling. Can buy amplifiers that will get you greater range. They operate right in the 30 MHz range and with the right antennas (which you can build using regular single strand wire elevated in a tree, you can really get out there. It will also get less absorbed into the earth and vegetation than higher VHF or UHF frequencies.

They are cheap, easily replaced, easily upgraded, and easy to install. Plus no license needed.

So each house has a main HF radio, each car has a vehicular HF radio, and everyone carries hand held. Somebody should hear everyone and be able to relay to everyone else who can't hear them directly.
    This is probably what we'll end up doing. Thank you

Tom ordered a couple of cheapie pre-owned Motorola TA280s off the net tonight, for us to play around with up here, it'll be interesting to see how far apart we can be and still connect. Hell, I'd be happy just having a way to connect with the backside of our own Mountain LOL.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to MountainGirl For This Useful Post:

Innkeeper (11-12-2020)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Love you guys for helping me. Just sayin.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to MountainGirl For This Useful Post:

Innkeeper (11-12-2020)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 20,730 Times in 8,455 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MountainGirl View Post
    Hi MoreAmmo - Not sure how a WIFI setup would work without internet or cell service... what am I missing? Thanks!
    Computer network, depending on your needs/desires. I know with some work, you can get a few miles out of wifi.
    "Every person’s life is theirs by right. An individual’s life can and must belong only to himself, not to any society or community, or he is then but a slave. No one can deny another person their right to their life, nor seize by force what is produced by someone else, because that is stealing their means to sustain their life. It is treason against mankind to hold a knife to a man’s throat and dictate how he must live his life."

COFFEE!

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by juskom95 View Post
    Computer network, depending on your needs/desires. I know with some work, you can get a few miles out of wifi.
    So... a completely stand alone offline computer can still send out wifi?
    Huh. Didn't know that.
    Told ya I'm clueless, lol.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MountainGirl For This Useful Post:

Innkeeper (11-12-2020),juskom95 (11-12-2020)

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast