Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Small comms advice needed

Hybrid View

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 15,428 Times in 5,139 Posts

Small comms advice needed

Here's the situation.

Need 2-way with 3 neighbors, all within 1/2 mile of us around the peaks as the raven flies (2 miles if driven, less if hiked).

There is no line-of-site but we've got a good high spot for an antenna? if that would help at all.

So walkie talkies? Old school CB's?

Thanks much for any suggestions you can give.

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 20,730 Times in 8,455 Posts
    Budget?
    Redundancies?

I don't know ham very well, but I know a few hand-helds that don't require licenses.
    "Every person’s life is theirs by right. An individual’s life can and must belong only to himself, not to any society or community, or he is then but a slave. No one can deny another person their right to their life, nor seize by force what is produced by someone else, because that is stealing their means to sustain their life. It is treason against mankind to hold a knife to a man’s throat and dictate how he must live his life."

COFFEE!

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to juskom95 For This Useful Post:

Innkeeper (11-11-2020),MountainGirl (11-11-2020)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by juskom95 View Post
    Budget?
    Redundancies?

I don't know ham very well, but I know a few hand-helds that don't require licenses.
    Budget is whatever it takes to get what we want. Redundancies? None.
    Not sure about the Ham route for this... but still open maybe if that's the only option.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to MountainGirl For This Useful Post:

Innkeeper (11-11-2020)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MountainGirl View Post
    Budget is whatever it takes to get what we want. Redundancies? None.
    Not sure about the Ham route for this... but still open maybe if that's the only option.
    -Without line-of-sight, you're looking at UHF/VHF for any sort of range. GMRS/FRS will push maybe 2 miles in perfect conditions.
    -If you're willing to invest iCom's with encryption chips will guarantee you silence, but they are in the UHF/VHF range; not cheap though, we used them on FOBs in Iraq.
    -CB could be a way to go, but keep in mind those frequencies are %100 open and are often stepped on.
    "Every person’s life is theirs by right. An individual’s life can and must belong only to himself, not to any society or community, or he is then but a slave. No one can deny another person their right to their life, nor seize by force what is produced by someone else, because that is stealing their means to sustain their life. It is treason against mankind to hold a knife to a man’s throat and dictate how he must live his life."

COFFEE!

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to juskom95 For This Useful Post:

Innkeeper (11-11-2020),Inor (11-11-2020),MountainGirl (11-11-2020)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by juskom95 View Post
    -Without line-of-sight, you're looking at UHF/VHF for any sort of range. GMRS/FRS will push maybe 2 miles in perfect conditions.
    -If you're willing to invest iCom's with encryption chips will guarantee you silence, but they are in the UHF/VHF range; not cheap though, we used them on FOBs in Iraq.
    -CB could be a way to go, but keep in mind those frequencies are %100 open and are often stepped on.
    I appreciate your words, Juskom. Strangely, we're not that concerned with security so 100% open wouldn't be a problem; we just need to be able to communicate information quickly, if necessary.

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    I appreciate your words, Juskom. Strangely, we're not that concerned with security so 100% open wouldn't be a problem; we just need to be able to communicate information quickly, if necessary.
    Bear in mind, under the law, you do not need a license during an emergency situation. It is also legal to own the equipment, even have an antenna, without a license.

CB works, but you are range limited even with an antenna. You can also purchase a multiband system, capable of CB, UHF and VHF for options.

COFFEE!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to juskom95 For This Useful Post:

MountainGirl (11-11-2020)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 8,729 Times in 3,591 Posts
    May be able to run with FRS or GMRS. They share some channels, difference is in power. Both are UHF short range. FRS are handheld with integrated antenna. You could go CB. Those are HF, AM modulated, which means they could be noisy on a bad day, but 5 watts may give you more range. FRS are FM. I'm guessing that no one in your group is licensed, or wish to get a license. There are also cell phone apps for "direct comm" but you still go thru the tower.
    BAH FUCKING HUMBUG!

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TJC44 For This Useful Post:

Innkeeper (11-11-2020),MountainGirl (11-11-2020)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TJC44 View Post
    May be able to run with FRS or GMRS. They share some channels, difference is in power. Both are UHF short range. FRS are handheld with integrated antenna. You could go CB. Those are HF, AM modulated, which means they could be noisy on a bad day, but 5 watts may give you more range. FRS are FM. I'm guessing that no one in your group is licensed, or wish to get a license. There are also cell phone apps for "direct comm" but you still go thru the tower.
    You're right no one in the group will be getting a license. And the option of cell phone apps are out. This will be for when and if phone communications etc go down, or we choose to not use them.

I wonder if the 3 locations put up towers so that the tips of the towers were line of sight with each other, and if walkie talkies could be used in that manner. Is it even possible for a walkie talkie to bounce off something on the tower?

As you can tell I'm pretty clueless, lol.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to MountainGirl For This Useful Post:

Innkeeper (11-11-2020)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 8,729 Times in 3,591 Posts
    You're right no one in the group will be getting a license. And the option of cell phone apps are out. This will be for when and if phone communications etc go down, or we choose to not use them.

I wonder if the 3 locations put up towers so that the tips of the towers were line of sight with each other, and if walkie talkies could be used in that manner. Is it even possible for a walkie talkie to bounce off something on the tower?

As you can tell I'm pretty clueless, lol.
    Let me direct you to someone who can help. I've been talking with Nick Meacher for a few months now. He is good people, laid back. He works for Denver Emergency management by day, and by night he has been building up his website "Fortune Favors the Prepared" . Here is a link to his comms page.
    https://fortunefavorstheprepared.com...adio-services/

TJC
    BAH FUCKING HUMBUG!

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TJC44 For This Useful Post:

Innkeeper (11-11-2020),Inor (11-11-2020),juskom95 (11-11-2020),MountainGirl (11-11-2020)

Got butthurt in August 2021 Back Pack Hack's Avatar

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 3,166 Times in 1,182 Posts
    Maybe something like wireless mesh communication systems such as GoTenna.
    Keep calm and try setting SCE to AUX.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Back Pack Hack For This Useful Post:

MountainGirl (11-11-2020)

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast