Thread: Major shop upgrades

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 34,121 Times in 10,468 Posts

Major shop upgrades

Now that the house is done, Mrs Inor's She Shack is done, most of my irrigation system is done, all of the fruit trees we were planning on planting are in and mostly growing, the pasture is setup and working well, it is time to start setting up my wood shop for real. For the last 3 1/2 years, I have been working in it as a mess just to get the stuff built that I needed to complete my other projects. But now it is time to spend some time (and money) getting it set up for real.

Last week, I got some wall cabinets built and got them hung last weekend.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	00000IMG_00000_BURST20201130223924531_COVER.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	87.9 KB 
ID:	12807

My Christmas holiday will start in a couple weeks and I think I am going to break down and finally buy a dust collector. I have been woodworking for over 40 years and have never had anything for dust management. I think it is finally time to get that under control.

The dust collector is going to end up costing me about 1/3 of what I was planning on spending, so I am also going to spend some of the extra money I save on it to get a new fence for my table saw. The saw is about 20 years old and I use it A LOT. So the original fence system is just plain wore out. I was originally planning on getting a Biesemeyer fence, but after doing some research, I think I am going to go with a Vega fence. I do not know much about them, but their reviews have been outstanding and it sounds like the Biesemeyers seem to have gone way down in quality since they were bought by Delta.

http://vegawoodworking.com/product/table-saw-fence/

If any of you guys know anything about the Vega fences, I would sure appreciate an opinion.

Lastly, I think I am going to take the time I have off over the holidays and build a new router table. My current one got pretty beat up in the move down here and the use it has had since starting the build has not helped it any.

Needless to say, I am pretty dang excited and I think these upgrades will take my wood shop to the next level. So expect a few more photos as I get further into this!
    Admin for the most politically correct site on the web. Welcome to the OTP!

Follow our house build: http://www.mtacres.net/

2. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Inor For This Useful Post:

A Watchman (12-01-2020),Big Ken (12-01-2020),Broncosfan (12-01-2020),Dwight55 (12-01-2020),Gambit (12-01-2020),hawgrider (12-01-2020),Innkeeper (12-01-2020),juskom95 (12-01-2020),MountainGirl (12-01-2020),Sasquatch (12-01-2020),Slippy (12-01-2020)

Don't get too close, I bite! Sasquatch's Avatar

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 13,112 Times in 3,902 Posts
    Nope. Not gonna happen. Because if Mrs. Inor is anything like Hot Nursey the garage/shop is the dumping ground. Everytime I get it cleaned up I come home from work to find new crap in it.

Dust collector is a great addition. I don't have one but hope to in the future.
    "That guy has the right idea, he wore the brown pants today!"

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Sasquatch For This Useful Post:

Big Ken (12-01-2020),Innkeeper (12-01-2020),Inor (12-01-2020),Piratesailor (12-03-2020),Sparkyprep (12-01-2020)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 13,209 Times in 4,803 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch View Post
    Nope. Not gonna happen. Because if Mrs. Inor is anything like Hot Nursey the garage/shop is the dumping ground. Everytime I get it cleaned up I come home from work to find new crap in it.

Mrs Sparky takes my stuff, and gives it away to her friends. Then she says "I didn't know you needed that". Aggravates the hell out of me.
    Friends don't let friends shoot Glocks.

Proud Deplorable

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Sparkyprep For This Useful Post:

Big Ken (12-01-2020),Innkeeper (12-01-2020),Inor (12-01-2020),KnuteFartne (12-01-2020),Sasquatch (12-02-2020),Slippy (12-01-2020)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 25,044 Times in 7,031 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Inor View Post
    Now that the house is done, Mrs Inor's She Shack is done, most of my irrigation system is done, all of the fruit trees we were planning on planting are in and mostly growing, the pasture is setup and working well, it is time to start setting up my wood shop for real. For the last 3 1/2 years, I have been working in it as a mess just to get the stuff built that I needed to complete my other projects. But now it is time to spend some time (and money) getting it set up for real.

Last week, I got some wall cabinets built and got them hung last weekend.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	00000IMG_00000_BURST20201130223924531_COVER.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	87.9 KB 
ID:	12807

My Christmas holiday will start in a couple weeks and I think I am going to break down and finally buy a dust collector. I have been woodworking for over 40 years and have never had anything for dust management. I think it is finally time to get that under control.

The dust collector is going to end up costing me about 1/3 of what I was planning on spending, so I am also going to spend some of the extra money I save on it to get a new fence for my table saw. The saw is about 20 years old and I use it A LOT. So the original fence system is just plain wore out. I was originally planning on getting a Biesemeyer fence, but after doing some research, I think I am going to go with a Vega fence. I do not know much about them, but their reviews have been outstanding and it sounds like the Biesemeyers seem to have gone way down in quality since they were bought by Delta.

http://vegawoodworking.com/product/table-saw-fence/

If any of you guys know anything about the Vega fences, I would sure appreciate an opinion.

Lastly, I think I am going to take the time I have off over the holidays and build a new router table. My current one got pretty beat up in the move down here and the use it has had since starting the build has not helped it any.

Needless to say, I am pretty dang excited and I think these upgrades will take my wood shop to the next level. So expect a few more photos as I get further into this!
    You are a true Master Craftsmen my friend!

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Slippy For This Useful Post:

Big Ken (12-01-2020),Innkeeper (12-01-2020),Inor (12-01-2020)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 33,119 Times in 14,734 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Nice work
    Keep Your Head Up, And your Stick On The Ice.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to BucketBack For This Useful Post:

Inor (12-03-2020)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 6,421 Times in 1,822 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch View Post

Damn if that isn’t the truth. I had a clean organized garage and work shop with cabinets, etc..and slowly but surely the wench has turned it into a dumpling ground....oh well..
    "Erosion of our rights just takes a few good men doing nothing"

Who is John Galt?

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Piratesailor For This Useful Post:

Innkeeper (12-03-2020),Inor (12-03-2020),Sasquatch (12-04-2020),Sparkyprep (12-03-2020)

Don't get too close, I bite! Sasquatch's Avatar

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 13,112 Times in 3,902 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Piratesailor View Post
    Damn if that isn’t the truth. I had a clean organized garage and work shop with cabinets, etc..and slowly but surely the wench has turned it into a dumpling ground....oh well..
    PS I always knew I liked the cut of your jib!
    "That guy has the right idea, he wore the brown pants today!"

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Sasquatch For This Useful Post:

shootbrownelk (12-05-2020)