Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hog killin time

Hog killin time

Haven't had time to post about it until now but we killed 3 hogs between Christmas and new years. Hams and bacons are down on salt curing now. The shoulders were destined for sausage. Made 164 pounds of sausage in total. Curing the hams and bacons in a couple old refrigerators that don't run, I'm just using them like giant coolers. I have a bunch of jugs full of water frozen and on days it's gonna get above 50 degrees or so, I stuff the ice jugs all around the meat and shut the door... seems to be working good. I have done this for several years now since the weather is so sporadic that it's hard to cure anything anymore.
    Daughter bought me a new grill and I tried it out this past Sunday with fresh ribs. They were awesome!
    "I'm a walking contradiction, partly truth and partly fiction"
    Kris Kristofferson
    "The American farmer is the only person who buys everything at retail, sells everything at Wholesale, an has to pay the freight both ways "
    JFK

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to hag For This Useful Post:

hawgrider (01-08-2021),Innkeeper (01-08-2021),MountainGirl (01-08-2021),shootbrownelk (01-15-2021),Slippy (01-08-2021)

I haven't got the lard rendered yet, I just put the leaf fat and skins in bags and froze them. It's been raining forever but I think I will get a chance to thaw it out and render lard this weekend
    Kris Kristofferson
    "The American farmer is the only person who buys everything at retail, sells everything at Wholesale, an has to pay the freight both ways "
    JFK

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hag For This Useful Post:

hawgrider (01-08-2021),shootbrownelk (01-15-2021)

Ferrell or raised hogs? Im guessing raised hogs.

Too cool I can see those salt encrusted hams Now .... great visual

I've got 20 lbs of belly curing right now. Today I think is day 9 or 10. I should be cold smoking some this weekend.
    "The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath." W. C. Fields

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hawgrider For This Useful Post:

hag (01-09-2021),shootbrownelk (01-15-2021)

Some raised... l am thinking of building a new smokehouse... one with an outside stove to get a colder smoke... got ideas in my head but no time to get started on it lolol
    Kris Kristofferson
    JFK

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hag For This Useful Post:

MountainGirl (01-08-2021),Slippy (01-08-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by hag View Post
    Some raised... l am thinking of building a new smokehouse... one with an outside stove to get a colder smoke... got ideas in my head but no time to get started on it lolol
    When I think of Kentucky and old smoke houses curing hams I think of Bill Dixons smoke house.

"The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath." W. C. Fields

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hawgrider For This Useful Post:

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hawgrider For This Useful Post:

He is a sharp old timer but I hope my smokehouse will be a little tighter than his hahahaha..l want it weevil skipper and bug proof but that's almost impossible
    Kris Kristofferson
    JFK

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hag For This Useful Post:

hawgrider (01-08-2021),shootbrownelk (01-15-2021)

He is a sharp old timer but I hope my smokehouse will be a little tighter than his hahahaha..l want it weevil skipper and bug proof but that's almost impossible
    Yeah he's got some big gaps in the smoke house. No stack needed. I think the bug issue was mentioned in one of his vids? Does he just depend on the salt to keep the bugs off? I can't remember I'll have to watch them again.

What do you guys do ? Tight shack with a stack?

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hawgrider For This Useful Post:

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 25,043 Times in 7,030 Posts
    Haven't had time to post about it until now but we killed 3 hogs between Christmas and new years. Hams and bacons are down on salt curing now. The shoulders were destined for sausage. Made 164 pounds of sausage in total. Curing the hams and bacons in a couple old refrigerators that don't run, I'm just using them like giant coolers. I have a bunch of jugs full of water frozen and on days it's gonna get above 50 degrees or so, I stuff the ice jugs all around the meat and shut the door... seems to be working good. I have done this for several years now since the weather is so sporadic that it's hard to cure anything anymore.
    Daughter bought me a new grill and I tried it out this past Sunday with fresh ribs. They were awesome!
    Heck Yeah! Slippy Approved!!

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Slippy For This Useful Post:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210109_144308.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	95.2 KB 
ID:	12961
    Picture of my scalding pot
    Kris Kristofferson
    JFK

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hag For This Useful Post:

hawgrider (01-09-2021),shootbrownelk (01-15-2021)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast