Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gardening 2021 Be prepared

VIP Member!

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 5,205 Times in 1,558 Posts

Gardening 2021 Be prepared

Usually I order my seeds just before the first of the year. Running a little late. I'm finding that a lot of the types of seeds I want are already sold out. Some not even available. I actually had to order from 2 different companies to get most of my seed. I figure more people will garden this year than last. Last year you couldn't even get canning jar lids in my area. I will start converting to reusable lids. So for those that don't plan ahead I think this is another year you could easily end up doing without.

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Broncosfan For This Useful Post:

BucketBack (03-09-2021),hawgrider (01-09-2021),Innkeeper (01-09-2021),Inor (03-08-2021),juskom95 (01-09-2021),MountainGirl (01-09-2021),shootbrownelk (03-09-2021),Slippy (01-09-2021)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 20,730 Times in 8,455 Posts
    Probably a combination between a greater demand and less workers available.
    "Every person’s life is theirs by right. An individual’s life can and must belong only to himself, not to any society or community, or he is then but a slave. No one can deny another person their right to their life, nor seize by force what is produced by someone else, because that is stealing their means to sustain their life. It is treason against mankind to hold a knife to a man’s throat and dictate how he must live his life."

COFFEE!

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to juskom95 For This Useful Post:

Broncosfan (01-09-2021),Innkeeper (01-09-2021),MountainGirl (01-09-2021),shootbrownelk (03-09-2021),Slippy (01-09-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Broncosfan View Post
    Usually I order my seeds just before the first of the year. Running a little late. I'm finding that a lot of the types of seeds I want are already sold out. Some not even available. I actually had to order from 2 different companies to get most of my seed. I figure more people will garden this year than last. Last year you couldn't even get canning jar lids in my area. I will start converting to reusable lids. So for those that don't plan ahead I think this is another year you could easily end up doing without.
    Ran into this with baker seeds... they actually took their website down for several days to catch up on orders
    "I'm a walking contradiction, partly truth and partly fiction"
    Kris Kristofferson
    "The American farmer is the only person who buys everything at retail, sells everything at Wholesale, an has to pay the freight both ways "
    JFK

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to hag For This Useful Post:

Broncosfan (01-09-2021),Innkeeper (01-09-2021),MountainGirl (01-09-2021),shootbrownelk (03-09-2021),Slippy (01-09-2021)

Don't get too close, I bite! Innkeeper's Avatar

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 7,310 Times in 3,090 Posts
    I actually bought extra lids last year anytime I found them in the store just to play it safe.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    "Firearms are second only to the constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth"
    George Washington

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Innkeeper For This Useful Post:

Broncosfan (01-09-2021),inceptor (03-09-2021),MountainGirl (01-09-2021)

VIP Member!

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Innkeeper View Post
    I actually bought extra lids last year anytime I found them in the store just to play it safe.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    After I'm done canning for the year I always try to buy 20 doz for a head start for the next year. I didn't run out becasue our garden took a back seat to family issues in 2020 This year I need to get some of my canning caught back up. We couldn't find any at all to buy around here in 2020 after everything blew up.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Broncosfan For This Useful Post:

Innkeeper (01-09-2021),MountainGirl (01-09-2021),Slippy (01-09-2021)

After I'm done canning for the year I always try to buy 20 doz for a head start for the next year. I didn't run out becasue our garden took a back seat to family issues in 2020 This year I need to get some of my canning caught back up. We couldn't find any at all to buy around here in 2020 after everything blew up.
    That is the way I approach prepping... we can several hundred quarts of food every year so I focus on lids way more than bullets... I shoot approximately zero people per year hahaha
    "I'm a walking contradiction, partly truth and partly fiction"
    Kris Kristofferson
    "The American farmer is the only person who buys everything at retail, sells everything at Wholesale, an has to pay the freight both ways "
    JFK

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to hag For This Useful Post:

Broncosfan (01-09-2021),Innkeeper (01-09-2021),MountainGirl (01-09-2021),Slippy (03-09-2021)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 15,349 Times in 5,124 Posts
    Mind sharing who you ordered from? We usually buy local but I don't want to wait till spring. Thanks!

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MountainGirl For This Useful Post:

Broncosfan (01-09-2021),Innkeeper (01-09-2021)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 20,730 Times in 8,455 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MountainGirl View Post
    Mind sharing who you ordered from? We usually buy local but I don't want to wait till spring. Thanks!
    I would be curious. I want to try a pallet garden (or similar) this year since I'm probably working from home for the foreseeable future!
    "Every person’s life is theirs by right. An individual’s life can and must belong only to himself, not to any society or community, or he is then but a slave. No one can deny another person their right to their life, nor seize by force what is produced by someone else, because that is stealing their means to sustain their life. It is treason against mankind to hold a knife to a man’s throat and dictate how he must live his life."

COFFEE!

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to juskom95 For This Useful Post:

Broncosfan (01-09-2021),Innkeeper (01-09-2021),MountainGirl (01-09-2021)

VIP Member!

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MountainGirl View Post
    I usually buy everything from Seedsnsuch.com. They have way better prices than any of the big name seed companies. I have used them for several years. I also bought a very few items from parkseed.com. I have bought from them on and off for 30 plus years. Both are located in South Carolina. The guy that owns seednsuch actually started a couple of seed companies that are still business after he sold them.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Broncosfan For This Useful Post:

Innkeeper (01-10-2021),MountainGirl (01-09-2021)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 34,104 Times in 10,465 Posts
    What the hell is going on with mail order garden stuff this year?!?

We mail ordered some raspberries, blueberries and blackberries a couple months ago. The raspberries and blueberries shipped almost a month ago and have been sitting in FedEx warehouse hell up in Phoenix ever since! The garden company notified us the blackberries shipped and should be here Wednesday or Thursday. We finally got notified by FedEx the raspberries and blueberries might actually get here Thursday or Friday (no doubt, long dead by then).

The really frustrating part is the raspberries and blueberries are replacing some raspberries and blueberries that I bought on a lark last year when I found them on sale at Wally World. Not a single plant made it. (Actually, I think they were all dead before I bought them. As I mentioned, they were not a planned purchase; they were on sale at the end of the planting season so I bought them like an idiot.). Maybe God doesn't intend for us to have raspberries and blueberries?

A week or so ago Mrs Inor ordered some guinea fowl to take care of the garden bugs and the rattlers that have been driven out of the pasture and into the yard by the donkeys. The guinea fowl people sent her an e-mail today letting her know her order will not ship until the end of June!

My assignment for the spring was to build a chicken shack and bone up on what we need to know to raise chickens. But as hard as it seems to be to mail order food stuffs lately (and the extreme expense of building materials lately), I may just take my time on the build and buy some grown pullets locally later in the summer.

Have ya'll had similar experiences or is the universe just conspiring against Mrs Inor and me?
    Last edited by Inor; 03-08-2021 at 11:19 PM.
    Admin for the most politically correct site on the web. Welcome to the OTP!

Follow our house build: http://www.mtacres.net/

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Inor For This Useful Post:

Innkeeper (03-08-2021),Slippy (03-09-2021)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast