Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gardening 2021 Be prepared

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 3,065 Times in 947 Posts
    I have learned to buy lids and jars in the spring when everyone buys seeds... and buy seeds in fall when everyone is looking for canning lids... and then keep buying lids... whenever you find them.
    IN OMNIA PARATUS

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jester-ND For This Useful Post:

Innkeeper (03-09-2021),shootbrownelk (03-09-2021),Slippy (03-09-2021)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 2,465 Times in 780 Posts
    Just got me 5 - 55 gallon plastic Drums.
    Cut them in half to make 10 Wicking Containers.

Did notice some of the seeds I wanted were already sold out.
    Did find suitable substitutes though.

Quote Originally Posted by Jester-ND View Post
    I have learned to buy lids and jars in the spring when everyone buys seeds... and buy seeds in fall when everyone is looking for canning lids... and then keep buying lids... whenever you find them.
    Been finding lots of jars with lids.... Some large mouth lids... but NO regular lids
    “America, it is said, is suffering from intolerance — it is not. It is suffering from tolerance.
    Tolerance of right and wrong, truth and error, virtue and evil, Christ and chaos.
    Our country is not nearly so overrun with the bigoted as it is overrun with the broadminded.”
    ― Fulton J. Sheen

I will not let anyone walk through my mind with their dirty feet.
    – Mahatma Gandhi

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LivoniaDan For This Useful Post:

Innkeeper (03-09-2021),shootbrownelk (03-09-2021)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LivoniaDan View Post
    Just got me 5 - 55 gallon plastic Drums.
    Cut them in half to make 10 Wicking Containers.

Did notice some of the seeds I wanted were already sold out.
    Did find suitable substitutes though.

Been finding lots of jars with lids.... Some large mouth lids... but NO regular lids
    I have been finding more as of late too..... so I buy them. may not be the case by August.
    IN OMNIA PARATUS

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jester-ND For This Useful Post:

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 25,147 Times in 7,058 Posts
    We use local bought seeds and try to use last years seeds to plant. Our plan never works out like we want so we supplement from a local Feed and Seed store and/or Home Depot.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Slippy For This Useful Post:

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 34,174 Times in 10,477 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jester-ND View Post
    About 10 years ago, we bought a case of the Tattler reusable wide lids and a case of the small lids. Those are the greatest thing ever. We have not bought any more lids since. If you do decide to order them, you had better do it soon to have them by fall. They usually have a pretty long backlog.
    Admin for the most politically correct site on the web. Welcome to the OTP!

Follow our house build: http://www.mtacres.net/

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Inor For This Useful Post:

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 34,174 Times in 10,477 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Inor View Post
    What the hell is going on with mail order garden stuff this year?!?

We mail ordered some raspberries, blueberries and blackberries a couple months ago. The raspberries and blueberries shipped almost a month ago and have been sitting in FedEx warehouse hell up in Phoenix ever since! The garden company notified us the blackberries shipped and should be here Wednesday or Thursday. We finally got notified by FedEx the raspberries and blueberries might actually get here Thursday or Friday (no doubt, long dead by then).

The really frustrating part is the raspberries and blueberries are replacing some raspberries and blueberries that I bought on a lark last year when I found them on sale at Wally World. Not a single plant made it. (Actually, I think they were all dead before I bought them. As I mentioned, they were not a planned purchase; they were on sale at the end of the planting season so I bought them like an idiot.). Maybe God doesn't intend for us to have raspberries and blueberries?

A week or so ago Mrs Inor ordered some guinea fowl to take care of the garden bugs and the rattlers that have been driven out of the pasture and into the yard by the donkeys. The guinea fowl people sent her an e-mail today letting her know her order will not ship until the end of June!

My assignment for the spring was to build a chicken shack and bone up on what we need to know to raise chickens. But as hard as it seems to be to mail order food stuffs lately (and the extreme expense of building materials lately), I may just take my time on the build and buy some grown pullets locally later in the summer.

Have ya'll had similar experiences or is the universe just conspiring against Mrs Inor and me?
    We just got another e-mail from the berry people today. They have now pushed the delivery back again to next week! GRRR!!!! This is really starting to piss me off!
    Admin for the most politically correct site on the web. Welcome to the OTP!

Follow our house build: http://www.mtacres.net/

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Inor For This Useful Post:

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Inor View Post
    About 10 years ago, we bought a case of the Tattler reusable wide lids and a case of the small lids. Those are the greatest thing ever. We have not bought any more lids since. If you do decide to order them, you had better do it soon to have them by fall. They usually have a pretty long backlog.
    already have a bunch of tattler reusable lids... I just am hoarding the single use ones while I can find them... be as good a barter item as one can get next to .22 ammo
    IN OMNIA PARATUS

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jester-ND For This Useful Post:

Inor (03-09-2021),shootbrownelk (03-09-2021)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12