Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wisonsin winter

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 7,610 Times in 2,278 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MoreAmmoOK View Post
    Here in Oklahoma, which is much like Texas, when it gets hot it can get damn hot, when it gets cold it can get damn cold. Todays high was 70+, last week this time high was 7, low was -5. Damn hot is much more prevalent than damn cold but I prep for both. Spare window AC unit in case main AC goes out in the heat, wood stove and firewood for cold. Generator and fuel for power outages caused by thunderstorms or ice/snow. Throw it at me. I'll take the necessary steps then sit back and have a beer.
    Damn from one extreme to the other and to forget the dreadful Oklahoma...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tornado.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	74.6 KB 
ID:	13154
    dramey82

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Big Ken For This Useful Post:

BucketBack (02-24-2021),hawgrider (02-24-2021),Slippy (02-24-2021)

Spent my whole life in West Central Wisconsin, except for my time in the Navy, couldn’t wait to get home, I missed the change of the seasons, call me crazy......that was the early 70s......nothing has changed......

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rstanek For This Useful Post:

hawgrider (02-24-2021),Slippy (02-24-2021),Smitty901 (02-24-2021)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 5,643 Times in 2,025 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Smitty901 View Post
    Wisconsin we get real winter. We can see very large amounts of snow and like just recently long periods of temps well below zero. This last stretch was a lot of 25 below. But as a whole we got by. Only real griping came from big cities.
    Blaming it on Global warming
    Ice storms with wind have been known to knock power out. The farther you are from town the less likely you will get power back quickly. You just don't count. Same with many other services you pay taxes for. But we know that and prepare.
    we have generators That are easy to hook up and use. We can move them any where needed. We have Gas heaters that are safe and fuel for them if needed and Wood back up. Each year early on we make sure it is all ready to go.
    Longest we have ever had to go with out power was a week in winter . Everyone out here did fine. Some of us lent a hand to some that needed it.
    Food is well stocked and water is never an issue here .
    My major point is being prepared is just a part of life here for most. We do see that changing as new people move out here. Some don't stay others learn. Some never will. many in Texas fell into a comfort zone. it can't happen here.
    Maybe it will be a wake up call for them. Often we get warnings of things than can come , but we brush it off . and in a year or so forget about it. I hope those that think it can happen learned some thing.
    Come up with your plan and test it . Improve it .
    Short coming I had but corrected was allowing snow to build up. No big deal we can get through it. Get to it later. Latter can come to late. I learned years back to get the snow cleared back as it comes never give it a chance to become over whelming.
    Being prepared seems to be catching on. Nice to know if you wake a 0200 and the power is off. radio is saying they have no idea when it will be back. you can just put on a pot of coffee and relax.
    So very much THIS!

Joe

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 33,115 Times in 14,733 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm dealing with snow/ ice I should have cleared off the roof's as soon as it fell.
    Keep Your Head Up, And your Stick On The Ice.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to BucketBack For This Useful Post:

Smitty901 (02-24-2021)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12