Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How small projects spiral out of control...

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 34,017 Times in 10,450 Posts

How small projects spiral out of control...

As most of you know, I am a radio junkie. But I cannot get many terrestrial radio stations at M.T. Acres, so I have been using a Bose bluetooth speaker and my cell phone for a radio in my workshop. It works fine, but it is a pain in the ass to remember to bring the speaker and my phone out to the shop every time I want to use it. Plus, I inevitably forget to charge one or both devices.

So I was sitting around not doing anything in particular one evening around Christmas and decided that I could make a cheap web radio for my shop with a Raspberry Pi computer. Since I mostly listen to talk radio, I figured I could just use a 2 inch PC speaker plugged into the headphone jack on the Pi. It was quick and easy to put together and mostly worked fine but then I realized I had a 500GB SSD stick left over from a machine learning computer I built last summer. I thought, "Hmmm, I could plug the SSD into the Pi, then transfer our CDs to it and actually be able to listen to CDs in the shop too".

After farting around with software a bit, I got that working but it sounded like shit coming out in mono through a 2" speaker. But I did have 2 old 4 inch Pioneer car speakers that sounded pretty good back in 1982. (Those were the ones with the magnets that weighed about 3 pounds a piece.)

Since the headphone jack on a Raspberry Pi could not drive 2, 4 inch speakers, I spent about $15 on electrical parts and another $10 on shipping and got the components I needed to build a proper amplifier. I wired the amplifier up on a breadboard and after more farting around with software and firmware, I got it working and it sounded pretty damn good. But since I did not just want a big birds nest of wires, chips and capacitors soldered together inside the radio, I decided I should get a printed circuit board made to hold the components.

So I sat down and drew up a PCB plan for my amplifier. I found a place online that would make the board for me for about $3 per board. The problem is, they had a minimum order quantity of 5 plus another $15 for shipping. At that point I got smart and realized for an extra $10 I could just order a prebuilt amplifier with a warranty. So I did that.

By this time, I decided that my home baked software for running the radio probably was not the best idea anymore. So I went out and found a free, open-source software package that served most of my needs. But... I always feel guilty using "free" open-source software for something that I am going to use all the time. So I sent the open-source company $20.

It was only then that I realized I had no real way of controlling the radio (changing the station, changing the volume, etc.) without either wiring in a bunch of function buttons (and modifying the associated function on the open-source software) or using my cell phone or computer. Since that kind of defeated the whole purpose of the project in the first place, I decided what the hell and spent another $50 and bought a touchscreen for it.

After a few minor modifications to the open-source software, because the touchscreen I bought was about the only brand that was not supported by the software, I finally got it working.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20210122_114839.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	89.2 KB 
ID:	13247

Name:	IMG_20210122_114850.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	93.4 KB 
ID:	13248

I tested it out and everything was working perfectly. So now it was on to making some kind of enclosure to put the whole thing in, but that will be Part 2 of this post since I can only have 2 photos per post...
    Admin for the most politically correct site on the web. Welcome to the OTP!

Follow our house build: http://www.mtacres.net/

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Inor For This Useful Post:

hawgrider (03-02-2021),inceptor (03-02-2021),Innkeeper (03-02-2021),Prepared One (03-02-2021),Slippy (03-02-2021)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Part 2

My initial plan, back when I was using the single 2" speaker was to not even have an enclosure. I was just going to glue everything to a pegboard, hang it on the wall and call it a day. But once I spent the money on the amplifier and decided on 2 decent speakers, I realized that it should probably have some kind of enclosure. So version 2 of my plan was to just plane down some #2 pine and basically make a wooden shoebox and slap a little paint on it. But after spending a bunch more money on the touchscreen, I decided that I should actually take some time and make the thing look decent on the outside as well.

So this weekend I dug into my stash of quarter sawn White Oak and put together a box that is modeled after a 1936 Philco radio that I have in my office. I did the final sanding on it today so it is ready to start finishing tomorrow.

Overall, I am pretty happy with how it came out.

Name:	IMG_20210301_175844.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	95.1 KB 
ID:	13249

Name:	IMG_20210301_175853.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	95.7 KB 
ID:	13250

But... I could not just use plain old cheap speaker cloth to cover the speakers. So I went ahead and ordered the "Aztec" speaker cloth that was real popular on the Zenith radios in the 1940's.

In the end, I am having second thoughts about even putting it in my shop where it will get all dusty but I have no place for it in the house.

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Inor For This Useful Post:

hawgrider (03-02-2021),inceptor (03-02-2021),Innkeeper (03-02-2021),MountainGirl (03-02-2021),Prepared One (03-02-2021)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 3,946 Times in 1,344 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Inor View Post
    In the end, I am having second thoughts about even putting it in my shop where it will get all dusty but I have no place for it in the house.
    Really cool project, and good job! The above both cracked me up and gave me a feeling of despair. I have done this kind of thing before (not electronics) where I set out to make something utilitarian, and then messed around and put money and time into it to the point where it was "too nice" for the purpose I built it for. My advise: Just use it. "accidentally" put a big scratch or something on it so you will feel better about doing so.
    War is Peace.
    Freedom is Slavery
    Ignorance is Strength

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to stevekozak For This Useful Post:

inceptor (03-02-2021),Innkeeper (03-02-2021),Inor (03-02-2021),MountainGirl (03-02-2021)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 5,604 Times in 2,016 Posts
    Ummm, coulda just bought a radio?

Joe

8. The Following User Says Thank You to red442joe For This Useful Post:

Inor (03-02-2021)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 3,008 Times in 932 Posts
    nice project.... and this Is one of the many reasons why I never have ambition to start a project!
    IN OMNIA PARATUS

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jester-ND For This Useful Post:

Innkeeper (03-02-2021),Inor (03-02-2021)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 13,135 Times in 4,781 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by red442joe View Post

Joe
    Where would the fun be in that?
    Friends don't let friends shoot Glocks.

Proud Deplorable

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sparkyprep For This Useful Post:

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by red442joe View Post

Joe
    Those suckers are expensive! I'll bet even a cheap one would cost me at least $25 or $30 bucks on Amazon!!!

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 24,847 Times in 6,976 Posts
    Beautiful wood work as we have come to expect, Inor. Neat project!

My next project is a prescribed burn over my septic field....

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Slippy For This Useful Post:

Put it in the shop, it’s just tooo tooo late for after thoughts and reconsiderations. You know you could get yourself spinning like a top with things like that. Put a sign up saying, “there ain’t no small projects, so damn it all to hell before I start one.”
    “He had been all things, and all was of little value.” Said of Severus Emperor of Rome.

(As quoted by Gibbons, in Decline of the Roman Empire.)

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Mister Mills For This Useful Post:

Inor (03-07-2021)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    I got the last 2 coats of varnish on the radio case today. While they were drying, I soldered up everything that needed soldering. After supper this evening, the varnish was dry enough that I was able to get it assembled and everything is working beautifully. The only thing I might do tomorrow is back the mounting screws for the speakers off just a tad. I think I might have tightened them just bit much as it does sound a little muffled, not unusable, but I might be able to improve it. Overall, I am pretty happy with it and I am thrilled to finally have a real radio in my shop again!

Name:	IMG_20210307_202450.jpg 
Size:	94.8 KB 
ID:	13318

Name:	IMG_20210307_202441.jpg 
Size:	93.2 KB 
ID:	13319

19. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Inor For This Useful Post:

hawgrider (03-08-2021),inceptor (03-07-2021),SGG (03-08-2021),Slippy (03-08-2021),StratBastard (03-08-2021),TJC44 (03-08-2021)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast