Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Fermenting

Quote Originally Posted by Inor View Post
    Do you make cheese too?

We make cheese with pasteurized milk. I am curious how much yield you would with raw milk. We get about 1 pound per gallon of milk.
    Yes just cream cheese right now. We can give Philadelphia a run for there money.
    We are using the milk kefir grains to make our cream cheese.
    "The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath." W. C. Fields

Do you make cheese too?

We make cheese with pasteurized milk. I am curious how much yield you would with raw milk. We get about 1 pound per gallon of milk.
    We get a little more as the raw milk has all the cream in it. Its kinda a head start with the raw and low heat pasturized milk. Try to use vat pasteurized low heat if possible if you cant get your hands on raw milk. I wanna try some butter soon.

For the most part the yield is close to what your getting.
    Last edited by hawgrider; 01-18-2015 at 06:04 PM.
    "The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath." W. C. Fields

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 34,017 Times in 10,450 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hawgrider View Post
    Yes just cream cheese right now. We can give Philadelphia a run for there money.
    We are using the milk kefir grains to make our cream cheese.
    Try this: http://www.cheesemaking.com/

We got our supplies from this gal and we bought her book. I made a cheese press in about 20 minutes that works well. It is one of those hurry up and wait efforts. But if you have the patience to let it age, it is the BEST.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Inor For This Useful Post:

Arklatex (01-19-2015),hawgrider (01-18-2015)

Try this: http://www.cheesemaking.com/

We got our supplies from this gal and we bought her book. I made a cheese press in about 20 minutes that works well. It is one of those hurry up and wait efforts. But if you have the patience to let it age, it is the BEST.
    Cool I'll check it out.

Whoa cool cheese site Inor! I'm gonna be busy for a while lots of good info in there!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to hawgrider For This Useful Post:

Inor (01-18-2015)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 8,673 Times in 3,616 Posts
    Where are you getting the grains from? I might try this.

Quote Originally Posted by Arklatex View Post
    Where are you getting the grains from? I might try this.
    My first batch of milk kefir grains came from a friend same with the water kefir grains. My son inlaw found the second batch now readily available on the www. He got a 1/4 cup shipped to his door for 14 bucks.

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 34,017 Times in 10,450 Posts
    Thanks Hawg! I had never heard of kefir anything before your post. After a few quality hours with Google, I see there is a BUNCH of cool stuff you can make with it. This is definitely one of those jewels that is worth playing with. The one that had me particularly intrigued was the ginger ale. From looking online, it said you had to create a "ginger bug" and mix it with the water kefir? What is that? How do you make it? Inquiring minds would like to know...

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Inor For This Useful Post:

hawgrider (01-19-2015)

Found my way back to the barn. Baglady's Avatar

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 4,163 Times in 1,868 Posts
    WOW. Love the idea of making sour cream, cream cheese and Dilled Green Beans!!
    You got it going on!
    Being cremated...my last chance for a SMOKING HOT BODY!!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Baglady For This Useful Post:

hawgrider (01-19-2015)

Thanks Hawg! I had never heard of kefir anything before your post. After a few quality hours with Google, I see there is a BUNCH of cool stuff you can make with it. This is definitely one of those jewels that is worth playing with. The one that had me particularly intrigued was the ginger ale. From looking online, it said you had to create a "ginger bug" and mix it with the water kefir? What is that? How do you make it? Inquiring minds would like to know...
    I cheat for the ginger drink. The ginger bug I haven't tried yet.
    basically I use fresh ground ginger and lemon juice with some sugar on the second fermentation after bottled so mine is more of a carbonated ginger/lemon drink.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to hawgrider For This Useful Post:

Inor (01-19-2015)

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast