Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Fermenting

Quote Originally Posted by Baglady View Post
    WOW. Love the idea of making sour cream, cream cheese and Dilled Green Beans!!
    You got it going on!
    We make our own yogurt and sour cream dips and cream cheese. The chickens love the yogurt and the extra grains that grow. It gets there gut right too.
    "The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath." W. C. Fields

2. The Following User Says Thank You to hawgrider For This Useful Post:

Baglady (01-19-2015)

Kefir Mayo

So the wife made some kefir Mayo this morn. It might be a little thin. I'll have to see when its chilled. Taste test tonight with burgers.

1/2 cup kefir milk
    2 egg yolks
    1/2 tsp dijon mustard
    1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
    1/2 tsp lemon juice
    salt and ground black pepper to taste

Method- Place the two egg yolks into a mixing bowl. Add the mustard, salt and pepper and vigorously beat the ingredients into a smooth paste. Add the lemon juice and continue mixing until texture is smooth again. Slowly add the olive oil in a thin, steady stream until the mayonnaise becomes thick and smooth. Add the kefir very slowly, tablespoon by tablespoon, alternating with the oil, ensuring that each addition is absorbed before adding more. Refrigerate and serve chilled.

"The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath." W. C. Fields

The mayo is a big hit. Once chilled the thickness is perfect the flavor is excellent. No more store bought for us. Next batch we will leave out the mustard just for fun and to see just how close we can get to regular hellmanns.

Update: Omitted the mustard in the mayo. Thumbs up good!

Lacto fermenting is done with salt. If you don't have milk kefir whey lacto fermenting is the way to go.

I'll dig around and see if I can find my recipe for lacto fermented veggies.

This is easier. http://www.culturesforhealth.com/nat...n-beans-recipe

Its pretty much identical to the recipe I use. You can use this brine as a base adjust the goodies to taste but use the water and salt ratio listed for most any veggies you want to ferment. I leave mine at room temp for 3 to 5 days I prefer 5 days. Burp daily. On day five refrigerate and enjoy.

Thanks
    Do you use any of the special lids?
    "Liberty is too precious a thing to be buried in books, Miss Saunders. Men should hold it up in front of them every single day of their lives and say, 'I'm free to think and to speak. My ancestors couldn't. I can. And my children will' "

Quote Originally Posted by justlooking View Post
    Do you use any of the special lids?
    I use Qt canning jars rings and lids

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by hawgrider View Post
    I use Qt canning jars rings and lids
    No special valves?
    "Liberty is too precious a thing to be buried in books, Miss Saunders. Men should hold it up in front of them every single day of their lives and say, 'I'm free to think and to speak. My ancestors couldn't. I can. And my children will' "

Quote Originally Posted by justlooking View Post
    No special valves?
    No I don't use them. Ive seen them they are nice. But I just burp the canning jars daily until they get put into cold storage (refrigerator) I'm old school and try to keep the costs down on gadgets as I already have jars lids and rings. As long as you remember to burp them there are no issues or explosions LOL

Here they are in use-

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast