Thread: 2021 Garden

Threaded View

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 17,938 Times in 5,300 Posts

2021 Garden

New thread. Everything garden 2021.

Starting seeds, finding/purchasing needed seed, transplanting, direct seeding in the garden, bugs, critter problems, plant diseases etc...........open to everything.

Orchard/berries I might start another thread. I'm behind on finishing pruning and have blueberries and fruit trees to get in the ground.

Me

I'm a little late this year getting started, last Friday Mar 26 th, but our last spring frost is ~ mid-May, sometimes early-June.

I have a good friend who runs a greenhouse each spring and sells his starts. He heats with wood and if I help him out with keeping the place warm and planting I can start all my plants there. I'll be helping transplanting lots of his sprouts this week, along with cutting/splitting wood and stoking the furnace.

Most of the things I grow are heirloom that I can save seeds for and I'm still learning that. This year I have a lot of seeds that needed planting as they were several years old. Some seeds only last a couple years, some like brassicas (cabbages, bocolli, kale..) last at least 5 or 6. I planted lots of the older stuff, saved a few to see if they still germinate well, and also planted some new seed too.

I'll have more starts than my garden can hold, but I can sell surplus at the greenhouse or give them to friends and family. I didn't want the older seed to go bad/be wasted.

Finding seed is not as difficult as last year but a lot of varieties are sold out at the sources and/or not on local shelves.

What I have started:

Broccoli- Calabrese, Diccico, and Waltham

Cabbage- Round Dutch, Savoy perfection, All seasons ,Early golden ace, flat Dutch late, Copenhagen market

Kale- an heirloom my family has been growing for many years don't know original source. I made lots of seed last year, bottom of a small baggie full.

Peppers- Jalapeno, saved heirloom Bird cayenne, Cayenne, Cal wonder, Habanero, saved heirloom Hot cherry (can't find ANY hot cherry seed for purchase).

Tomatoes- Beefsteak, Eva purple ball, Roma, Abe Lincoln, Box Car Willie, Amish paste, Rutgers, Large Red, Moskvich

All the tomatoes are heirloom varieties some from saved seed. I have descriptions of all, size, determinate/indeterminate, days to harvest (60-90). Ask me if interested.

I hope to save seed from the peppers and tomatoes this year so I won't worry about finding seeds.

I'll update as I plant more and cover the perennial stuff that's overwintered.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mad Trapper For This Useful Post:

hawgrider (03-29-2021),Mister Mills (03-29-2021),MountainGirl (03-30-2021),Slippy (03-30-2021)