Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Canning help

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 4,032 Times in 934 Posts

Canning help

Fellow home canners! I need some help. I have been canning for years and I have never had any spoilage, thank heavens. But i do have problems with losing liquid inside the jars. Yesterday I canned 6 jars of garden veggies. Two jars turned out perfect. Two lost some liquid but nothing extreme. And two lost a lot of liquid. I have always had this problem and i don’t know what i am doing wrong.

I do expell all the air from the jars before installing the lids. This year I bought and started using the ball torque tool for installing the bands so I’m pretty sure the lids are on properly. So what the hell am I doing wrong? Yes, I also follow the ball canning guidlines about correct headspace in the jars. I have and use the tool to measure airspace. After pressure canning, I allow the pressure to come down naturally and I allow the jars to remain inside the canner for another 5 to 10 minutes after lid removal before removing the jars from the canner. Help!

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Chiefster23 For This Useful Post:

hawgrider (08-07-2021),Inor (08-07-2021),shootbrownelk (08-07-2021)

If I run my juggler on the pressure canner too fast I have experienced siphoning and water loss. Try turning down the heat a little and slow down the rocking motion of the weighted gauge jiggler. Another words you may be running to hot.
    "The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath." W. C. Fields

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hawgrider For This Useful Post:

Mad Trapper (08-07-2021),shootbrownelk (08-07-2021)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 14,275 Times in 4,333 Posts
    My first thought would be that the lids are too loose . . .

Second . . . as Hawg said . . . you are running too hot.

I never fill my jars with food or liquid above the shoulder of the jar . . . which gives me a good 1 inch air space that is critical for proper sealing of the jars. I'll put food up to the shoulder . . . add liquid just to where it tops the food . . . then I'll seal it.

I seal with my hands . . . giving them a 76 yr old "firm grip" tightness . . . but not a death grip tightness.

May God bless,
    Dwight
    If you can breathe, . . . thank God.

If you can read, . . . thank a teacher.

If you can read in English, . . . thank a veteran.

www.dwightsgunleather.com

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dwight55 For This Useful Post:

Innkeeper (08-07-2021),Inor (08-07-2021),shootbrownelk (08-07-2021)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Both good suggestions. Thank you.
    I am running the pressure canner outside on a coleman propane camping stove. These stoves are well known for piss poor ability to throttle the gas flow down for a slow simmer. I am thinking of trying to get an old antique ‘griswold’ cast iron two burner stove. My dad had one of these for camping trips but he (and the stove) are long gone. Ebay has lots of these for sale, but I would like some input from someone who is actually using one of these today. Anybody have one? Did you have to do any conversion or do they run fine on propane? Anyone have a good lead on a working model for sale anywhere?

And Dwight. I’m using the 1 inch headspace rule and I bought the ball torque wrench this year to hopefully get consistant tightness on all the lid bands. I may ge running the canner too fast with my over feeding the burner problem. It is almost impossible to slow simmer on my stove.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Chiefster23 For This Useful Post:

Innkeeper (08-07-2021),Inor (08-07-2021),shootbrownelk (08-07-2021)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 17,490 Times in 5,188 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chiefster23 View Post
    Both good suggestions. Thank you.
    I am running the pressure canner outside on a coleman propane camping stove. These stoves are well known for piss poor ability to throttle the gas flow down for a slow simmer. I am thinking of trying to get an old antique ‘griswold’ cast iron two burner stove. My dad had one of these for camping trips but he (and the stove) are long gone. Ebay has lots of these for sale, but I would like some input from someone who is actually using one of these today. Anybody have one? Did you have to do any conversion or do they run fine on propane? Anyone have a good lead on a working model for sale anywhere?

And Dwight. I’m using the 1 inch headspace rule and I bought the ball torque wrench this year to hopefully get consistant tightness on all the lid bands. I may ge running the canner too fast with my over feeding the burner problem. It is almost impossible to slow simmer on my stove.
    Only real problem I've had with jars puking was when the canner got cooled too quickly, just have to patient on that. Hawgs suggestion has merit. Like him I'm using old canners with "jigglers" (Mirromatics). I aim for a few jiggles a minute, maybe 10.

I just bought an old 4-burner countertop propane/gas for the exact purpose you mention. I don't have it setup yet but will try to get some pictures. The burner and the grill plates are heavy cast iron, and a sturdy metal countertop frame.

I'm getting an old table saw stand to use as a base and still need to get some propane tanks.

Don't it suck canning inside when it's ~ 90 oF outside (close next week here)! My idea is I can setup outside in the shade and not heat/humidify the house. I also need to see if I can get two canners on it at once.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mad Trapper For This Useful Post:

Chiefster23 (08-07-2021),Inor (08-07-2021),shootbrownelk (08-07-2021)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad Trapper View Post
    Only real problem I've had with jars puking was when the canner got cooled too quickly, just have to patient on that. Hawgs suggestion has merit. Like him I'm using old canners with "jigglers" (Mirromatics). I aim for a few jiggles a minute, maybe 10.................Don't it suck canning inside when it's ~ 90 oF outside (close next week here)! My idea is I can setup outside in the shade and not heat/humidify the house. I also need to see if I can get two canners on it at once.
    I cured the jars puking when I bought my 3rd canner. Now I put one on my electric stove . . . while I prepare the second. 1st goes into the sink to cool . . . all on its own . . . at it's own pace . . . as I put the second one on to cook . . . and then prepare the third one. About the time the 3rd one is on the stove . . . the first one is cool . . . I empty it and it becomes # 4.

We did 56 pints of green beans the other day doing it that way . . . and personally I prefer canning inside as I don't have to carry anything more than 5 feet or so. I built an island in the middle of the kitchen . . . it is the work surface. I actually did not get much time to do much of anything else but that . . . and we did it all in about 4 hours.

Any time I go to an auction . . . pressure canners are one of the first things I look for. Usually pick them up for 25 bucks or so.

May God bless,
    Dwight

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dwight55 For This Useful Post:

Innkeeper (08-07-2021),Inor (08-07-2021),Mad Trapper (08-07-2021),shootbrownelk (08-07-2021)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwight55 View Post
    I cured the jars puking when I bought my 3rd canner. Now I put one on my electric stove . . . while I prepare the second. 1st goes into the sink to cool . . . all on its own . . . at it's own pace . . . as I put the second one on to cook . . . and then prepare the third one. About the time the 3rd one is on the stove . . . the first one is cool . . . I empty it and it becomes # 4.

We did 56 pints of green beans the other day doing it that way . . . and personally I prefer canning inside as I don't have to carry anything more than 5 feet or so. I built an island in the middle of the kitchen . . . it is the work surface. I actually did not get much time to do much of anything else but that . . . and we did it all in about 4 hours.

Any time I go to an auction . . . pressure canners are one of the first things I look for. Usually pick them up for 25 bucks or so.

May God bless,
    Dwight
    I always let the pressure come down naturally. I never remove the jiggler. But i am guilty of opening up the canner early and still seeing the water inside the jars bubbling away. Maybe that is my problem. Next time i will allow the whole thing to cool down more before opening the canner lid.

And i may have scored a cast iron cook stove. A buddy just tokd me he had one and i could get it cheap. I’m going to look this afternoon.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Chiefster23 For This Useful Post:

Dwight55 (08-07-2021)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 17,490 Times in 5,188 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwight55 View Post

May God bless,
    Dwight
    I've got 2 or 3? 16-quart and 1 22-quart Mirromatic, and some smaller ones/cookers. The 22-quart is great as you can double stack pints on top of the quarts. The 16 and 22 are all same diameter so same gaskets work for all, both take same number of quarts.

I do rotate the canners like you mention Dwight, and I like to prep stuff inside to keep things clean and bug free. It is just sometimes it's too damm hot when the veggies get ripe.

I hope my new 4-burner counter top propane will fit two canners same time, and I can put 4 canners in rotation (might need kitchen help with that). That will get set up outside near a picnic table. I'll load the canners inside, process and cool outside.

To mention another thing, I've collected many 24-26 oz Mason jars (they downsized from the 26oz) from spaghetti jars. They are real deal Mason jars, been using same ones for years, a canner will hold 9 of those some volume is close to same as 7 quarts.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mad Trapper For This Useful Post:

Dwight55 (08-07-2021),Inor (08-07-2021)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 34,121 Times in 10,468 Posts
    I solved all our canning problems several years ago with my checkbook. I told Mrs Inor, "buy what you need and make it happen". And she did. Maybe she has had the problems you describe but I would never know.

I do know she gets really mad when I try to use one of her canners for my steam bending box. Bad ju ju there boy howdy!
    Admin for the most politically correct site on the web. Welcome to the OTP!

Follow our house build: http://www.mtacres.net/

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Inor For This Useful Post:

Dwight55 (08-07-2021),Innkeeper (08-07-2021),Mad Trapper (08-07-2021),shootbrownelk (08-07-2021)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Chiefster23 View Post
    I always let the pressure come down naturally. I never remove the jiggler. But i am guilty of opening up the canner early and still seeing the water inside the jars bubbling away. Maybe that is my problem. Next time i will allow the whole thing to cool down more before opening the canner lid.

And i may have scored a cast iron cook stove. A buddy just tokd me he had one and i could get it cheap. I’m going to look this afternoon.
    Mine sits straight down in our double stainless steel sink in the kitchen. It stays there in place until the little aluminum popper-upper falls . . . telling me the pressure is gone in the canner. Then depending on where I am getting the next one ready . . . I may open it then or whenever I get to the point that I need to restock it for putting back on the burner.

I also prefer the electric range for canning . . . I know to get it first boiling good . . . steam coming off . . . and then turn it down to 6 1/2 and it will jiggle slowly just like I want it to do.

I am really happy doing mine in the kitchen . . . don't have to walk for stuff . . . it's all within 5 ft of me for anything I need while canning.

May God bless,
    Dwight

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dwight55 For This Useful Post:

Innkeeper (08-07-2021),Inor (08-07-2021)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast