Thread: De-Googling a cell phone

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 34,019 Times in 10,450 Posts

De-Googling a cell phone

A couple months ago there was a thread here about cell phone privacy. I mentioned in the thread that was something I was going to be pursuing and that thread got me off the dime to play around a bit with some options.

I expect this is going to be a fairly long post. I apologize for that. I will try to break it out into sections to at least make it a little easier to read. I will also try to avoid getting too deep into nerd-shit but some of that is necessary just due to the topic.

My Goals For This Exercise

My primary goal for this exercise was to prevent Google (and other tech firms) from collecting usage data on me via my phone. I WAS NOT TRYING TO ACHIEVE TRUE SECURE COMMUNICATIONS. That is simply not possible using cellular networks. It might be possible to get close to secure if you use a call phone without a SIM card and connect wirelessly only through a VPN to a Voice-Over-IP service such as OOMA. But even that is iffy and you are still at the mercy of OOMA. Also, getting that to work, although not technically difficult, it does require you to hopscotch through several different connections and if any one of them is not completely secure, the entire chain is broken. In short, it is just not worth the headaches in my arrogant opinion.

So, I limited my goal to just preventing Google from collecting data from my phone that could be cross-referenced back to me and sold to the highest bidder for marketing. My secondary goal was to minimize the data my service provider (Verizon) could collect.

General Overview

I looked at 4 different operating systems:

1. Ubuntu Touch
    2. LineageOS
    3. GrapheneOS
    4. /e/

The primary things I was looking at beyond anonymity were the ease of installation, capabilities, speed and battery life. The device I used for testing was Mrs Inor's old phone: a Motorola Z Play. Just a general note: all of these operating systems are open source and thus, none of them support the latest and greatest hardware available.

Ubuntu Touch

Ubuntu Touch is a pure Linux distribution ported to a smart phone platform. https://ubuntu-touch.io/ Since I know Linux really well, I was hoping this would solve all my issues. It didn't. First off, it is pretty limited with the hardware it supports "out of the box" and the newest hardware was over 7 years old. They do provide a source distribution that you can build yourself if your device is newer than their supported devices. I did have to build it myself since they did not have anything for the Motorola Z. That worked fine and it did install okay and more or less ran but there were a HUGE number of errors logged, I am guessing because it did not have the correct device drivers. I am pretty sure I could have gotten it working well if I spent the time creating updated drivers but I have much better things to do with my time.

In short, Ubuntu Touch was a BIG disappointment. It was a pain to build and install and if you are not into programming C, it is not a good option.

LineageOS

LineageOS is a de-Googled version of the standard Android operating system. https://privacytogo.co/. Android is an open source project based on Linux created by Google. Thus, they are required by license to provide the source code for the base OS. The Lineage people removed all of the code that sends data back to Google. It is by far, the most popular de-Googled phone operating system. It has prebuilt support for almost every major phone.

Installation was not difficult at all, but it does require you to install it manually. - There is no graphical installer that I could find. It was not a big deal but you do need to be familiar with the command line for Windows or the Terminal for Mac/Linux. The instructions for installing it are very straight forward but there may be a couple of additional utilities you need to install your computer prior to installing the OS on the phone. Full instructions are provided for each of those as well. In all, it took me about an hour to find everything and get it installed.

Once installed, it worked well. The biggest complaint I had with it is that it was built from an older version of Android so the user interface the old Android interface. That is not an big deal to me, but...

It does not come with any Google apps installed, including the Google PlayStore. It does have an app called F-Store where you can install third-party applications that do not track you. They also have an app called Aurora Store that will let you download apps from the Google PlayStore anonymously. But to me, it kind of defeats the purpose of de-Googling a phone and then just load it up with crap from Google.

In short, LineageOS is probably what I am going to go with for now.

GrapheneOS

GrapheneOS is also de-Googled Android OS. https://grapheneos.org/. This is the one OS that I was not able to install and test as they only support the Google brand Pixel phones.

From reading up on the project, they are going through every line of code with a fine-tooth comb. They have even gone through and rebuilt a lot of the standard libraries to make them more secure. This is DEFINITELY a project to keep an eye on, but I think it is going to take another year or two to fully mature. But they seem pretty focused on just supporting the Google phones, even starting some projects to rewrite the Google firmware in the chips to lock them down.

It does have a web-based installer as well as the traditional command line installer, so if you have a Google Pixel phone, this would DEFINITELY be one that I would look at.

/e/

/e/ is another de-Googled Android OS. https://e.foundation/. The focus of /e/ is beyond just an operating system. They are trying to build a complete "online community" based on privacy. It is a fairly new project so they do not have formal released versions for every phone. But they do have a good mix and they have many in beta testing. I expect within a year, they will rival Lineage for the number of devices supported. I was able to test a release version as the Motorola Z is one of the phones they do have a release for.

The operating system looks much nicer than Lineage as I think they started with the newer Android as their base. It does run well. My biggest concern with them is, I don't want an "online community"! If I wanted that, I may as well just stick with Google.

Conclusion and My Plan Moving Forward

One of my main goals moving forward is to quit doing business with as many "woke" companies as I can. I recently changed my e-mail provider after my old one went woke. I am also going to dump Verizon as my provider as soon as I find another provider that works at M.T. Acres. I found a company called Patriot Mobile https://www.patriotmobile.com/ that looks like a company I would like to do business with but their coverage map still looks iffy for M.T. Acres.

I think I am going to set up Mrs Inor's old phone with LineageOS and set up a cheap account with a new number with the Patriot Mobile people for a couple months and see if it works. If it does, I will drop Verizon and move our primary numbers over to them. I have a few other ideas as well but I will leave the discussion of those for later since this post is WAY too long as it is.
    Admin for the most politically correct site on the web. Welcome to the OTP!

Follow our house build: http://www.mtacres.net/

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Inor For This Useful Post:

Dwight55 (09-05-2021),Innkeeper (09-05-2021),Kusa (09-05-2021),Mad Trapper (09-05-2021),MountainGirl (09-07-2021),Sasquatch (09-06-2021),Slippy (09-05-2021),Sparkyprep (09-05-2021),StratBastard (09-05-2021)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 14,187 Times in 4,308 Posts
    Keep us in the loop as you go along . . .

May God bless,
    Dwight
    If you can breathe, . . . thank God.

If you can read, . . . thank a teacher.

If you can read in English, . . . thank a veteran.

www.dwightsgunleather.com

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Dwight55 For This Useful Post:

shootbrownelk (09-05-2021)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 17,199 Times in 5,112 Posts
    I have to upgrade soon as my 2G flip phone won't work pretty soon. I'm just getting 5G flip phone to replace it.

My phone is off all day unless I need to make a call or check my messages.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mad Trapper For This Useful Post:

Inor (09-05-2021),shootbrownelk (09-05-2021),SOCOM42 (09-05-2021),StratBastard (09-05-2021)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 34,019 Times in 10,450 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad Trapper View Post
    I have to upgrade soon as my 2G flip phone won't work pretty soon. I'm just getting 5G flip phone to replace it.

The biggest problem I have with flip phones... (And I'll be the first to admit that I might be completely out of my mind and paranoid.)

Flip phones have most of the same sensors as smart phones: GPS, microphone, compass, temperature, etc. But, they are usually running a proprietary operating system with no source code available. So there is no way to know exactly what data they are collecting or to stop them from collecting it. A smart phone is basically a low powered laptop computer. So at least you can get into it and mess with it to disable what you want disabled.

The best solution is to just not have a cell phone. Unfortunately, in today's world it is not really possible to run a business that way anymore.
    Admin for the most politically correct site on the web. Welcome to the OTP!

Follow our house build: http://www.mtacres.net/

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Inor For This Useful Post:

Innkeeper (09-06-2021),MountainGirl (09-07-2021),Slippy (09-05-2021),SOCOM42 (09-05-2021)

VIP Member!

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 14,259 Times in 5,904 Posts

I'm in the same boat, my flip phone is becoming obsolete PDQ. I need to upgrade too. Pretty sneaky way to squeeze more blood out of a turnip. $35.00 to upgrade. My phone is off 99% of the time, it's in my truck and I use it for Emergencies only. What a rip-off.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to shootbrownelk For This Useful Post:

Innkeeper (09-06-2021),Mad Trapper (09-05-2021),SOCOM42 (09-05-2021)

VIP Member! / Firearms expert SOCOM42's Avatar

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 8,444 Times in 2,285 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Inor View Post
    The biggest problem I have with flip phones... (And I'll be the first to admit that I might be completely out of my mind and paranoid.)

Flip phones have most of the same sensors as smart phones: GPS, microphone, compass, temperature, etc. But, they are usually running a proprietary operating system with no source code available. So there is no way to know exactly what data they are collecting or to stop them from collecting it. A smart phone is basically a low powered laptop computer. So at least you can get into it and mess with it to disable what you want disabled.

The best solution is to just not have a cell phone. Unfortunately, in today's world it is not really possible to run a business that way anymore.
    All I have is a flip phone by Consumer Cellular, voice only, did not set up text, useless to me.

They can collect all they want for info out of my one minute a month average usage.

Only turn it on when I leave kid home for whatever reason.

All but one old friend is still alive and I use a land line to call him in Florida.

Hardly ever call anyone else other than for business reasons or doctors, and that is done on the landline.

About a month ago they sent me a new phone no charge, with 5G upgrade.

It all means nothing to me, I never use it.

For the work I still do, the land line works fine and the number is widespread.

When we were operating full time here 30+ years ago,

the Truck had a built in phone and so did the Bronco's.

Phone bill came up near $600.00 a month many times.

A lot of that time was spent with government purchasing agents.
    Last edited by SOCOM42; 09-06-2021 at 11:09 AM. Reason: spelling
    A STORM IS COMING! LET'S GO BRANDON!

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SOCOM42 For This Useful Post:

Innkeeper (09-06-2021),Inor (09-05-2021),MountainGirl (09-07-2021)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 3,948 Times in 1,345 Posts
    The day I retire I plan to throw away two implements. One is my razor and the other is my cell phone.
    War is Peace.
    Freedom is Slavery
    Ignorance is Strength

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stevekozak For This Useful Post:

Michael_Js (09-07-2021),MountainGirl (09-07-2021)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 17,199 Times in 5,112 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SOCOM42 View Post
    All I have is a flip phone by Consumer Cellular, voice only, did not set up text, useless to me.

They can collect all they want for info out of my one minuet a month average usage.

Only turn it on when I leave kid home for whatever reason.

All but one old friend is still alive and I use a land line to call him in Florida.

Hardly ever call anyone else other than for business reasons or doctors, and that is done on the landline.

About a month ago they sent me a new phone no charge, with 5G upgrade.

It all means nothing to me, I never use it.

For the work I still do, the land line works fine and the number is widespread.

When we were operating full time here 30+ years ago the Truck had a built in phone and so did the Bronco's.

Phone bill came up near $600.00 a month many times.

A lot of that time was spent with government purchasing agents.
    They'll walk right across a street without any neck movement.........

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1 cells.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	19.5 KB 
ID:	16721

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mad Trapper For This Useful Post:

Inor (09-05-2021),MountainGirl (09-07-2021)

VIP Member! / Firearms expert SOCOM42's Avatar

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 8,444 Times in 2,285 Posts
    They'll walk right across a street without any neck movement.........

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1 cells.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	19.5 KB 
ID:	16721
    I know I see it all the time when out.
    A STORM IS COMING! LET'S GO BRANDON!

18. The Following User Says Thank You to SOCOM42 For This Useful Post:

Inor (09-05-2021)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 15,330 Times in 5,120 Posts
    De-googling of my Verizon connected galaxy S10 consisted of disabling google, play store, play services, gmail, Gmaps, etc in Settings; using ProtonMail for email - I use their web-based access since their app downloads from play store (but you can get the app directly from ProtonMail if you're smart enough to side load it, I'm not); and DuckDuckGo for browser.

That's about all I can do, and all it does is hopefully minimize exposure.
    Especially since Verizon and Google are more intertwined.
    Just this week, phone texts are now asking me if I want to "send via google?". Pfffft.

Kudos to you Inor, for what you're trying to do.
    I'm about ready to throw it all in the firepit.

Edit: I might have figured out the text issue. Seems I was using the Verizon thingy. Switched to the Samsung one for default. Hopefully that did the trick.
    Last edited by MountainGirl; 09-07-2021 at 05:05 PM.
    Now deferring to the judgement of horses ~ because Truth comes in 30 round bursts.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to MountainGirl For This Useful Post:

Innkeeper (09-07-2021)