Thread: Fermented sausage

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 34,110 Times in 10,466 Posts

Fermented sausage

It seems from other threads, several of us share the hobby of making sausage. Have any of you tried making uncooked fermented sausages such as salami or old world pepperoni? I have been into making sausages for a few years now, but my ultimate goal with the whole exercise is to be able to store meat long term without refrigeration. Obviously to do that, I basically have two choices: make jerky or fermented sausage. So far all of my experience is with sausage that is either cooked or smoked before eating. That is okay, but it does fall short of what I really want to do with this hobby.

I had a conversation with Nephilim about a year ago on the subject because he ferments sausage. But, him being a Brit, a lot of the brand names for the ingredients were different from the American brands.

I was just wondering if any of you make uncooked, fermented sausage and if so, would you post some info and recipes on it. I would especially like to know where to get the cultures to eat the "bad bacteria" and to know about your experiences with the process.

Thanks!

-I-

Quote Originally Posted by Inor View Post
    It seems from other threads, several of us share the hobby of making sausage. Have any of you tried making uncooked fermented sausages such as salami or old world pepperoni? I have been into making sausages for a few years now, but my ultimate goal with the whole exercise is to be able to store meat long term without refrigeration. Obviously to do that, I basically have two choices: make jerky or fermented sausage. So far all of my experience is with sausage that is either cooked or smoked before eating. That is okay, but it does fall short of what I really want to do with this hobby.

I had a conversation with Nephilim about a year ago on the subject because he ferments sausage. But, him being a Brit, a lot of the brand names for the ingredients were different from the American brands.

I was just wondering if any of you make uncooked, fermented sausage and if so, would you post some info and recipes on it. I would especially like to know where to get the cultures to eat the "bad bacteria" and to know about your experiences with the process.

Thanks!

-I-
    I have not yet. Sounds interesting though. You have my attention!
    "The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath." W. C. Fields

Dinky Dau

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Baglady View Post
    I didnt know that's how they made pepperoni and salami. I'd be interested in knowing this process too.
    Cool beans Inor.

Btw Inor. Speaking of fermenting..that's one of my problems with the beer and wine making.
    I don't have a single place in the house that maintains a certain temp. (!) I've tried wrapping heating pads
    around the 5 gal. buckets, and keeping a light on in the closet.
    But, when you burn wood to heat your house, and at night it gets cold, etc..no good options.
    Baglady,
    In the interest of not Hijacking Inor's thread, I copied and started a thread with your question on the main Food Acquisition page.

Inor, I am interested in what you find out about the sausage.

Thanks
    Last edited by Coppertop; 01-30-2015 at 08:43 AM. Reason: Moved thread

Little Miss Chatterbox

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 1,623 Times in 767 Posts
    I've always heard it called dry curing around here. I haven't tried it yet but I would love to learn the process. I bought some "pepperoni" mix at Gander Mtn last year but it wasn't a dry cure mix so it ended up being more like a summer sausage than a pepperoni. I was very disappointed. I'm sure there is a plethora of books on the subject and have been looking for a good sausage making book that covers all aspects of the subject. I think Charcuterie may cover the subject and it's a book recommended by Steven Rinella of "Meat Eater" fame but I haven't found the book locally and am hesitant to order it without being able to look at it first since it's in the $50 range.

-Infidel
    Custom Leather goods, check out the facebook page
    https://www.facebook.com/StuMillerLeatherWorks

Etsy Store:
    http://StuMillerLeather.Etsy.com