Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: Supply Chains Issues To Last Years - Feds To Take Over Ports

VIP Member! / Firearms expert SOCOM42's Avatar

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 8,444 Times in 2,285 Posts
    There was a company in Worcester Ma. that made IC chips, it was Sprague Electric.

They made custom chips for assorted customers, and did it by the 10s of thousands.

A friend was chief engineer for them, got to tour the plant several times, day and night.

The best part was that I got to use their fabulous lab at night for calibrating some of my ham equipment.

They had the top of the line of everything in test equipment, even computers, I would drool over it all.

They had copy cameras that would have been quality enough for spy satellite use,

they were for making the mask.

Jim told me the camera lenses IIRC were 30-40 thousand each, made by American Optical.

Camera assemblies were mounted on concrete bases 10 feet deep in the ground,

and had anti-vibration units under the cameras.

It was a clean room, I could not go in there without a half hour of showers and vacuuming,

it looked much like a bio lab and so did much of the production floor.

They, my guessing, reduced a drawing from about 4X5 feet down to a quarter of an inch.

Originally in the early 1900s they made all sorts of capacitors, and did right up into the 60s.

About 1975 they were gone, operations moved elsewhere,

my friend did not go with them wherever they went.
    Last edited by SOCOM42; 02-10-2022 at 07:34 AM. Reason: spelling
    A STORM IS COMING! LET'S GO BRANDON!

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 17,199 Times in 5,112 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SOCOM42 View Post
    There was a company in Worcester Ma. that made IC chips, it was Sprague Electric.

They made custom chips for assorted customers, and did it by the 10s of thousands.

A friend was chief engineer for them, got to tour the plant several times, day and night.

The best part was that I got to use their fabulous lab at night for calibrating some of my ham equipment.

The had the top of the line of everything in test equipment, even computers, I would drool over it all.

They had copy cameras that would have been quality enough for spy satellite use,

they were for making the mask.

Jim told me the camera lenses IIRC were 30-40 thousand each, made by American Optical.

Camera assemblies were mounted on concrete bases 10 feet deep in the ground,

and had anti-vibration units under the cameras.

It was a clean room, I could not go in there without a half hour of showers and vacuuming,

it looked much like a bio lab and so did much of the production floor.

They, my guessing, reduced a drawing from about 4X5 feet down to a quarter of an inch.

Originally in the early 1900s the made all sorts of capacitors, and did right up into the 60s.

About 1975 they were gone, operations moved elsewhere,

my friend did not go with them wherever they went.
    There was a Sprague factory in North Adams Ma that also made electronics. They also left town but let the river keep the PCBs they used.

The GE plant in Pittsfield made all kinds of stuff. Huge transformers that are NLA from domestic sources. If the grid went down now we'd be waiting on a boat from who knows where to get replacements. They also made a lot of ordinance for the military. My uncle was one of the head machinists who made guidance parts for ballistic missiles. Jack Welch sent all the GE production work overseas and we lost all the knowledge of the skilled men building those things. If they wanted to bring that production back home, who would/could teach them?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mad Trapper For This Useful Post:

SOCOM42 (02-09-2022)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Had a surprise today, three cases of Aguson Farms #10 cans of food arrived.

They were ordered a month ago forgot all about them until now.

They have been ratholed away.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to SOCOM42 For This Useful Post:

Prepared One (02-10-2022)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 33,021 Times in 14,691 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Augason sent me a triple order during PF days a few years ago. I only ordered a couple food products but got 2 more boxed of survival stuff. I called to say hey, but the ladies said it wasn't their problem and to call corporate. I'm corporate
    Keep Your Head Up, And your Stick On The Ice.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to BucketBack For This Useful Post:

1skrewsloose (02-17-2022)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad Trapper View Post
    There was a Sprague factory in North Adams Ma that also made electronics. They also left town but let the river keep the PCBs they used.

The GE plant in Pittsfield made all kinds of stuff. Huge transformers that are NLA from domestic sources. If the grid went down now we'd be waiting on a boat from who knows where to get replacements. They also made a lot of ordinance for the military. My uncle was one of the head machinists who made guidance parts for ballistic missiles. Jack Welch sent all the GE production work overseas and we lost all the knowledge of the skilled men building those things. If they wanted to bring that production back home, who would/could teach them?
    GE was the biggest PCB contaminator out there in their transformer plant.

They used a product called Askarel for insulation and heat exchange in their transformers,

that oil was a bucket of PCB's.

ALL the X-former makers used it until the late 70's, IIRC.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to SOCOM42 For This Useful Post:

BucketBack (02-17-2022)

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011