Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Sometimes you win...

VIP Member! / Firearms expert SOCOM42's Avatar

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 8,563 Times in 2,313 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Inor View Post
    I wanted steel that is fairly soft (this has a hardness of 48-52 according to the manufacturer) because I was planning on using the same steel for making a pair of sash saws as well. I want to be able to change the configuration of the teeth on the sash saws depending on what I am cutting with them for each project. I will still use 1095 for the sash saws but I am definitely going to have to go with a thicker plate. Something around 0.025 or even 0.031.

After farting around with it today, I am convinced that I just tried to go too thin with the saw plate. I am confident that I will eventually get it right, but damn...
    Try and see if Simons Saw Co. still sells steel.

They had the finest fine grained steel for making saw blades, it was even hardened to the right Rockwell for saws.

I use to buy from them all sorts of tool steels.

I have a two man crosscut saw made by them about 90 years ago,

looks brand new (sold to me as NOS) cuts like hell though butter.

A leg would be of in half the saw length.

That saw is for when the gasoline runs out for the chain saws. Bought it about 30 years ago.
    A STORM IS COMING! LET'S GO BRANDON!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to SOCOM42 For This Useful Post:

Inor (11-28-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by SOCOM42 View Post
    Oh, I know, use to make die sets out of the stuff, even milling the stuff was a bitch,

it wore the shit out of HSS end mills.

I spent thousands of hours grinding that shit in a Moore and Hauser Jig grinder,

plus profiling die sections on a B&S surface grinder.

I don't know what is available today, I no longer do that shit, just gun repair,

remember, I an 80 years old, the guns are enough.

I still do my own auto repair, last week I HAD to take one jeep to the garage to replace a O2 sensor,

required the dropping of the front driveshaft, just no room on 34 degree ground to do it.

A week before I replaced a front rotor and caliper on the same one myself.

I just did a quick search, smallest was .0315".
    D2 is a steel that you learned quickly not to leave excess grind stock... and agreed, it preformed very well in the correct application, but machining and grinding was less than favorable to say the least.

Quote Originally Posted by Inor View Post
    I wanted steel that is fairly soft (this has a hardness of 48-52 according to the manufacturer) because I was planning on using the same steel for making a pair of sash saws as well. I want to be able to change the configuration of the teeth on the sash saws depending on what I am cutting with them for each project. I will still use 1095 for the sash saws but I am definitely going to have to go with a thicker plate. Something around 0.025 or even 0.031.

After farting around with it today, I am convinced that I just tried to go too thin with the saw plate. I am confident that I will eventually get it right, but damn...
    Stick with it, keep your eye on the prize!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to T-Man 1066 For This Useful Post:

Inor (11-28-2021)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123