Thread: Pond beginning!

VIP Member!

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 4,003 Times in 1,291 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricekila View Post
    How far away is the nearest river or stream ----

A ram-pump should help the filling ?
    Honestly I don't know if there is one very close. The one I do know about the water has a lot of sulfur from when the area was strip mined. Most of my house downspouts now run into the pond. Its not a lot but it will be cleaner than most. There is a lot of area that drains into the pond. Once we start getting some rain it will fill up. We going to do our best to get the grass seed sown and covered with erosion blankets which should help cut down on a lot of mud.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Broncosfan For This Useful Post:

Inor (08-12-2022),Ricekila (Yesterday),shootbrownelk (Today)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 29,142 Times in 9,441 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Broncosfan View Post
    Honestly I don't know if there is one very close. The one I do know about the water has a lot of sulfur from when the area was strip mined. Most of my house downspouts now run into the pond. Its not a lot but it will be cleaner than most. There is a lot of area that drains into the pond. Once we start getting some rain it will fill up. We going to do our best to get the grass seed sown and covered with erosion blankets which should help cut down on a lot of mud.
    So you are going to just let it fill naturally? Do you have enough rain/snow for that to happen? I have been wondering about that since you started the project.

It is coming nicely BTW! I am probably as excited as you are to see the finished result.
    Admin for the most politically correct site on the web. Welcome to the OTP!

Follow our house build: http://www.mtacres.net/

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Inor For This Useful Post:

Broncosfan (08-12-2022),shootbrownelk (Today)

VIP Member!

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Inor View Post
    So you are going to just let it fill naturally? Do you have enough rain/snow for that to happen? I have been wondering about that since you started the project.

It is coming nicely BTW! I am probably as excited as you are to see the finished result.
    Honestly we're way about average for rain fall the last several 3-4 years. I cannot give you an absolute answer. I know 1" of rain equals a little over 27,000 gallon on an acre. Given the runoff area into the pond is well over acre. So based on this years rainfall of 34.5" so far thats 931,500 gallons that has fell here so far this year. My weather station doesn't count snow. Based on that and my estimate of needing 350,000 gallons I think its really possible to be at the full mark by spring. Its usually drier here in August and September and October are usually somewhat wet.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Broncosfan For This Useful Post:

1skrewsloose (08-12-2022),Inor (08-12-2022),shootbrownelk (Today)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 29,142 Times in 9,441 Posts
    Honestly we're way about average for rain fall the last several 3-4 years. I cannot give you an absolute answer. I know 1" of rain equals a little over 27,000 gallon on an acre. Given the runoff area into the pond is well over acre. So based on this years rainfall of 34.5" so far thats 931,500 gallons that has fell here so far this year. My weather station doesn't count snow. Based on that and my estimate of needing 350,000 gallons I think its really possible to be at the full mark by spring. Its usually drier here in August and September and October are usually somewhat wet.
    When we were in MN I usually figured about 10:1 on the snow. - 10 inches of snow equaled about 1 inch of water. I am guessing OH snow is about the same? (Mountain snow in AZ is about 30:1.)

Admin for the most politically correct site on the web. Welcome to the OTP!

Follow our house build: http://www.mtacres.net/

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Inor For This Useful Post:

Broncosfan (08-12-2022),MountainGirl (08-12-2022),shootbrownelk (Today)

VIP Member!

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Inor View Post
    When we were in MN I usually figured about 10:1 on the snow. - 10 inches of snow equaled about 1 inch of water. I am guessing OH snow is about the same? (Mountain snow in AZ is about 30:1.)

The funny thing is the excavator told his live in that I was more than likely praying for no rain while it was under construction. Honestly at times we thought it would be a washout. The storms actually seemed to part over our property going to the north and south of us. He told me now he figured I would be praying for rain to fill the pond. He just said he would basically like me to go easy on the prayers because he would like to be able to work the rest of the summer. He doesn't live but a few minutes from me and they've had probably a good 2" or more there that we didn't get here in the 2 weeks he build the pond.
    Last edited by Broncosfan; 08-12-2022 at 08:44 PM.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Broncosfan For This Useful Post:

Inor (08-12-2022),shootbrownelk (Today)

VIP Member!

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 1,813 Times in 668 Posts
    Learning new stuff, I always used the 10 to 1 snow to rain, web search, rain calculator shows that the temp when snowing has a big impact on the ratio. Makes sense.

10 to 1 might be an average.
    This used to be a nice place to live.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 1skrewsloose For This Useful Post:

Inor (08-12-2022),shootbrownelk (Today)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 12,936 Times in 4,765 Posts
    Try google maps for your area ----- when you zoom in you might find one closer than you think ---- when I tried it in what could be your neck of the woods ------ Pike Run showed up -- just an example --

P/S --- when I was doing the whole survival thing to get off this sand-bar --- I mapped out every river ( not many here ) and stream ( more than I thought ) ------ and swimming pools ( oodles of them ) ------ I'm not suggesting you drop a drain hose in someone's pool over night ------- but wouldn't that be a hoot -- LOL

"Uncle Clem ---- the cement pond is half empty again" ?

Another thought ---- you have a local fire department ---- do they have a tanker truck -- do they dump the water out of it to refill it with fresh water a few times a year ?

Rather that dump it in the drain by the fire house -------- ?

A few times a year I see our local foundation savers ( because concrete doesn't burn - L ) -- dump tanker water into the street ----- make a donation & a friend --

I've heard of a few volunteer fire fighters having their pools filled this way --
    Last edited by Ricekila; Yesterday at 10:15 AM. Reason: t

NRA Instructor / RSO & NRA Life Member & NYSRPA member / S.A.F.E. Armorer / 03-FFL / Moist Nugget gun nut / Venturing Crew COR / Ammosexual / Wayne County PA - CCW holder / And a right wing Republican Jew with guns

The word liberal is a misnomer ( look it up )

And Epstein didn't kill himself

Μολών Λaβέ

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ricekila For This Useful Post:

Broncosfan (Yesterday),Inor (Yesterday),shootbrownelk (Today)

VIP Member!

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    So we started seeding today. Made a lot of progress. The dam was a workout in itself.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pond181322.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	96.7 KB 
ID:	19613Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pond281322.jpg 
Size:	96.8 KB 
ID:	19614Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pond481322.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	96.4 KB 
ID:	19615Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pond581322.jpg 
Size:	97.4 KB 
ID:	19616Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pond681322.jpg 
Size:	97.4 KB 
ID:	19617

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Broncosfan For This Useful Post:

Inor (Yesterday),Michael_Js (Yesterday),MountainGirl (Yesterday),T-Man 1066 (Yesterday)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 7,821 Times in 2,669 Posts
    Looking good!

Planing on adding any trees on perimeter (south side, not sure how pond is oriented NSEW?) to give the fish some shade on hot days, and a place out of the sun for the same reason for yourself?

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mad Trapper For This Useful Post:

Broncosfan (Today),MountainGirl (Today),shootbrownelk (Today)

VIP Member!

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad Trapper View Post
    Looking good!

Planing on adding any trees on perimeter (south side, not sure how pond is oriented NSEW?) to give the fish some shade on hot days, and a place out of the sun for the same reason for yourself?
    We're not positive yet what we plan to do as far as trees. Facing the dam that is the west. If we plant trees on the south side it would block our view of the pond from our house. We considering building a picnic shelter so I want to figure that into the plans before we just jump in and start planting.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Broncosfan For This Useful Post:

Mad Trapper (Today),MountainGirl (Today)

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789