Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Meat chickens!

Little Miss Chatterbox

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 1,437 Times in 681 Posts
    Nobody ever listens to us old ex Duck Farmers.
    https://www.hgtv.com/outdoors/garden...ks-or-chickens

2. The Following User Says Thank You to bigwheel For This Useful Post:

Slippy (03-20-2022)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 34,173 Times in 10,477 Posts
    The meat chickens are now about 2 1/2 weeks out of the egg and they are HUGE. They are now about the size the egg chickens were at about 6-7 weeks. I have never even heard of an animal that grows this fast. I think Mrs Inor might be secretly feeding them nuclear waste.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20220319_144116.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	99.3 KB 
ID:	18147

They are getting so big, so fast it is throwing off my entire schedule for them. My original plan was to keep them in my shop until they were about 6 weeks old, then move them into the chicken shack. That is absolutely not going to work. We are going to have to move them in the next day or two because they have grown too big for the cage in my shop and are starting to fight.

They do have all their wing feathers and tail feathers but they do not have many feathers on their bodies yet. So we have been keeping a heat lamp going for them. I do not have electricity in the chicken shack, so I cannot plug in a heat lamp without running an extension cord. But I may have to since we are still getting down into the 40's at night. Although, with the egg chickens and the guineas in the shack, it might stay warm enough for them without the lamp? (The only nights we got ice on the water inside the shack this winter was when it got into the low teens and single digits.)

Note to self: Schedule next year's spring order to arrive in the middle of March, not the beginning.
    Admin for the most politically correct site on the web. Welcome to the OTP!

Follow our house build: http://www.mtacres.net/

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Inor For This Useful Post:

bigwheel (03-21-2022),Dwight55 (03-20-2022),hawgrider (03-20-2022),Mad Trapper (03-20-2022),Slippy (03-20-2022)

Little Miss Chatterbox

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 1,437 Times in 681 Posts
    Try not to get attached to the cute little guys. sniff sniff. As one of my old farm pals often laments on somedody losing a favoite dog or cat..."Shut up I had to eat all my pets." He said it was hard eating a pork chop that you knew its name. In fact we got one free from the inlaws one time. They raised it and didnt have the heart to eat it..but it didnt bother them to butcher it and let us eat it. They was farm type folks too.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to bigwheel For This Useful Post:

Mad Trapper (03-22-2022)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12