Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Hawg; Forgive Me For I Have Sinned--Bought a Jap Truck Made In Mexico!

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 25,036 Times in 7,028 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch View Post
    I looked at the Tacoma when I was shopping around but I didn't fit in the damn thing. You're a fairly big guy too Slip. How's the room for you?
    Surprisingly, at 6'4" and +/- 240#, the Tacoma is much more comfortable than our Jeep JK.

With the seats moved back, I'm good to go. But there is NO ROOM in the back seats for passengers!

With the lift, I added the Falken Wildpeak AT 31.7" Tires and Vision OffRoad Aluminum wheels.

Yesterday, I installed the Martin OffRoad Roof Rack that I ordered a few weeks back. The Tacoma has Pre-Drilled holes to mount a number of US made roof racks. Assembly was easy but re-installing the weatherstripping was a pain in the ass!

I've ordered a Front Winch Mount/Bumper and have a Warn 10klb Synthetic Winch ready to go when the bumper arrives.

Our first trip will be some Off Road Trails that tie into US Forest Service Roads.

Attachment 18115

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Slippy For This Useful Post:

MountainGirl (03-15-2022),Sasquatch (03-15-2022),shootbrownelk (03-14-2022),Sparkyprep (03-14-2022)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 3,977 Times in 1,353 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Slippy View Post
    Surprisingly, at 6'4" and +/- 240#, the Tacoma is much more comfortable than our Jeep JK.

With the seats moved back, I'm good to go. But there is NO ROOM in the back seats for passengers!

With the lift, I added the Falken Wildpeak AT 31.7" Tires and Vision OffRoad Aluminum wheels.

Yesterday, I installed the Martin OffRoad Roof Rack that I ordered a few weeks back. The Tacoma has Pre-Drilled holes to mount a number of US made roof racks. Assembly was easy but re-installing the weatherstripping was a pain in the ass!

I've ordered a Front Winch Mount/Bumper and have a Warn 10klb Synthetic Winch ready to go when the bumper arrives.

Our first trip will be some Off Road Trails that tie into US Forest Service Roads.

Attachment 18115
    Good looking truck. Be sure you keep the oil topped off. I have heard of bad things happening to Tacos oil-starving when at odd angles. It doesn't sound like you intend to do any heavy-duty off-roading or rock crawling, but just keep it in mind.
    War is Peace.
    Freedom is Slavery
    Ignorance is Strength

4. The Following User Says Thank You to stevekozak For This Useful Post:

Slippy (03-14-2022)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    I've got a couple of areas of Slippy Lodge that I've stuck my 4 Wheeler. Conditions are different but the Tacoma seems to be pretty dang Off-Road Capable. Would love to have Lockers like the Rubicon but for what we will be doing, we think the Tacoma will be fine.

A few modifications from stock, and we are good to go. It does look pretty good if I say so myself;

Attachment 18116

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Slippy For This Useful Post:

MountainGirl (03-15-2022),StratBastard (03-14-2022)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    White Rim Road in Canyonlands National Park is one of our goals. 100 mile off-road trail with some very unique and gorgeous scenery.

https://www.nps.gov/cany/planyourvisit/whiterimroad.htm

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Slippy For This Useful Post:

SOCOM42 (03-14-2022)

VIP Member! / Firearms expert SOCOM42's Avatar

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 8,540 Times in 2,307 Posts
    White Rim Road in Canyonlands National Park is one of our goals. 100 mile off-road trail with some very unique and gorgeous scenery.

You do realize that I be joking with you? Right?

My 4 wheeling days have been over for a long time, about 40 years.

Besides my back could not take the stress either.

I have my Grand Cherokees to deal with the weather conditions here,

and the hills I have to climb in foul weather.

You guys live out in the western and mid western part of the country where 4X4 stuff is great sport.

Back when, I use to have Bronco's for that, but they were not geared for 2-3K driving to get to play.

Like armored vehicles, they would have to ride a flat bed to drop off point for ops.
    A STORM IS COMING! LET'S GO BRANDON!

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SOCOM42 For This Useful Post:

MountainGirl (03-15-2022),Slippy (03-14-2022)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SOCOM42 View Post
    You do realize that I be joking with you? Right?

My 4 wheeling days have been over for a long time, about 40 years.

Besides my back could not take the stress either.

I have my Grand Cherokees to deal with the weather conditions here,

and the hills I have to climb in foul weather.

You guys live out in the western and mid western part of the country where 4X4 stuff is great sport.

Back when, I use to have Bronco's for that, but they were not geared for 2-3K driving to get to play.

Like armored vehicles, they would have to ride a flat bed to drop off point for ops.
    That is all beautiful country out there, passed through it a couple of times going to and from California.

Unlike here though, dry, dry, dry, there is so much water here, pain in ass.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to SOCOM42 For This Useful Post:

Slippy (03-14-2022)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 6,421 Times in 1,822 Posts

Now that looks like a fantastic trip. I’ll have to add that to my list but in another vehicle… not my 2500HD. I’d rattle me and the truck to death.

When I lived in Colorado a group of us, jeeps and toco’s had a goal of going over as many passes as we could. I think over 4 years we did maybe a dozen and a few we attempted but didn’t make it over. One of our favorites was Webster Pass and Red Cone pass.

My buddy had a toco. It was a mid 80’s extended cab. It did as well as the jeeps. I used jeeps aged between 1978 and 1983. All were Cherokee’s and one Cherokee Chief wide body.
    "Erosion of our rights just takes a few good men doing nothing"

Who is John Galt?

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Piratesailor For This Useful Post:

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 4,031 Times in 934 Posts
    I bought a brand new jeep grand Cherokee years ago. Biggest POS I ever owned. I financed it for 3 years and during that time it was back for repairs at least 2 dozen times. An attorney I met in the dealership waiting room told me he was suing Jeep under the PA lemon law for similar problems. Never again for a Jeep or Chrysler product. Been driving Honda’s now since 2002. And all trouble free.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chiefster23 For This Useful Post:

Slippy (03-14-2022),StratBastard (03-14-2022)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Chiefster23 View Post
    I bought a brand new jeep grand Cherokee years ago. Biggest POS I ever owned. I financed it for 3 years and during that time it was back for repairs at least 2 dozen times. An attorney I met in the dealership waiting room told me he was suing Jeep under the PA lemon law for similar problems. Never again for a Jeep or Chrysler product. Been driving Honda’s now since 2002. And all trouble free.
    My Jeeps were bought from our local car dealer who was a jeep dealer, and a friend of mine.

He got guns, ammo and gunsmith work from me.

I never bought new ones from them, usually 2-4 years old,

I got them for $200.00 above their cost, no warranty though.

Both that I have now have around 140,000 miles on them,

and I have done some repairs, just like any other junk pile.

Biggest thing I have done and by myself is the brakes,

last November did one front rotor and caliper, will do the other in 2 months.

Did a water pump on one and two thermal fans replacing the electric, also by myself.

When as a kid I rebuilt engines and transmission, use to trade block borings from the local rebuilder

for grinding their centers and making carbide tool bits for their block borer.

Use to machine my own heads and did my valve grinding work.

The kid stuff was all on ford cars and engines.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SOCOM42 For This Useful Post:

hawgrider (03-14-2022),StratBastard (03-14-2022)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 17,459 Times in 5,180 Posts

Attachment 18115
    Remember the nash/ramblers, with Nash seats........get your HS girl out Sat night with a few 6-paks , then drive out into the woods, slide the seats into a bed..........damm Suns coming up.....better get home quick......

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mad Trapper For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast