Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Garden 2022 Whats ur plans?

VIP Member!

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 5,180 Times in 1,552 Posts

Garden 2022 Whats ur plans?

So its time to start those seeds. Just wondering if anyone is planning to go bigger just because of where the world stand today? Higher prices everywhere, shortages etc. Do you plan to can even more?

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Broncosfan For This Useful Post:

bigwheel (03-14-2022),Inor (03-14-2022),Slippy (03-14-2022)

Garlic is in the ground already. Might do a few mators. Maybe a pepper or 2

I've got a neighbor who hooks us up with corn strawberries squash and grapes for canning.

We hook him up with eggs.
    "The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath." W. C. Fields

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to hawgrider For This Useful Post:

Broncosfan (03-14-2022),Inor (03-14-2022),Prepared One (03-15-2022),Slippy (03-14-2022),StratBastard (03-15-2022)

VIP Member!

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by hawgrider View Post
    Garlic is in the ground already. Might do a few mators. Maybe a pepper or 2

I've got a neighbor who hooks us up with corn strawberries squash and grapes for canning.

We hook him up with eggs.
    Its good yo uhave some great neighbors to trade with.
    Our garlic looks good this year. I'm a little surprised I just sort of planted it in a hurry. We need to can green beans and tomatoes as we're out of tomatoes. Not out of salsa but I need to restock. I think once the garlic comes out carrots are doing in. I'm also thinking of some fall cabbage. I need to build a cold cellar for vegetable storage some day some how. I already stocked up canning jar lids and I have a bunch of the reusable ones. I really to to amend the soil before planting this year. This clay soil I have just seems to suck up everything you add to it. Going to be one busy year!

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Broncosfan For This Useful Post:

hawgrider (03-14-2022),Inor (03-14-2022),Prepared One (03-15-2022),Slippy (03-14-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Broncosfan View Post
    Its good yo uhave some great neighbors to trade with.
    Our garlic looks good this year. I'm a little surprised I just sort of planted it in a hurry. We need to can green beans and tomatoes as we're out of tomatoes. Not out of salsa but I need to restock. I think once the garlic comes out carrots are doing in. I'm also thinking of some fall cabbage. I need to build a cold cellar for vegetable storage some day some how. I already stocked up canning jar lids and I have a bunch of the reusable ones. I really to to amend the soil before planting this year. This clay soil I have just seems to suck up everything you add to it. Going to be one busy year!
    Mostly clay here its a pain to work with.

Added a another strain of hardneck garlic. This strain is about 30 some years old. Got it from a local distiller and brewer down the road a piece.
    "The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath." W. C. Fields

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to hawgrider For This Useful Post:

bigwheel (03-14-2022),Broncosfan (03-14-2022),Inor (03-14-2022),Prepared One (03-15-2022),Slippy (03-14-2022),StratBastard (03-15-2022)

VIP Member!

Ranks Showcase

Thanks

Added a another strain of hardneck garlic. This strain is about 30 some years old. Got it from a local distiller and brewer down the road a piece.
    Thats great! I had some of yours but sadly it was 2 years old and it doesn't look to be sprouting. Maybe a couple will sprout and give me seed for next year. I'm working on bring in a load of mushroom compost. Its expensive but I believe it will be worth it.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Broncosfan For This Useful Post:

hawgrider (03-15-2022),Inor (03-14-2022),Slippy (03-14-2022)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 17,199 Times in 5,112 Posts
    PS Im drunk.......

It's way early here.

I inventorrd seeds, pretty good on most. Annual or stuff I need some. Start maters and peps soon....and some early some crucfieros too.

I've two apple, a plum, and two pears humped over since last year, ten mature blue berries to transplant (the bed I started 3 years a go)

I'm sue about bigger? Last year sucked with rain and lots rotted, I put out ~ 50-60 maters, and about same peps.

Some A$$#@!E t-boned me last summer (owch) , so besides rain, garden sucked.

I'm up more this year as FJB make the fan closers.........got a root cellar, got canning stuff, got freezers.....

Ps If im drunk......figurge it out..........

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Mad Trapper For This Useful Post:

Broncosfan (03-15-2022),hawgrider (03-14-2022),Inor (03-14-2022),Prepared One (03-15-2022),Slippy (03-14-2022)

Little Miss Chatterbox

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 1,433 Times in 679 Posts

Not sure how anybody could survive without some good garlic in the beer and whiskey. Thanks. lol.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bigwheel For This Useful Post:

Broncosfan (03-15-2022),hawgrider (03-15-2022),Slippy (03-14-2022)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 34,018 Times in 10,450 Posts
    I have my fingers crossed that this year will be the year all the hard work and expense that I put into the gardens and fruit trees will finally start paying off.

Last year, we did well on most of what we planted in the new gardens. We got more maters than we needed and still have a buttload of them left from last fall. Still, I think we will plant a few more this year, but not nearly as many as last year. The HUGE victory this spring was getting seed taters. They just did not exist at any price around here last year. We bought 3 big bags of them a couple weeks ago. So that will hopefully be a win because we eat a lot of taters. Our corn last year grew like crazy but then got taken over by worms. I think we have a solution for that now as well. I'm sure Mrs Inor has designs on a bunch of other plants but she has not yet informed me what they are.

The first batch of fruit trees and almonds we planted are now 4 years old. So I am hopeful they will also start producing more than just the random apricot or pomegranate. The almonds and apples are already in full bloom. If we can avoid a late frost we should be getting a decent haul of both. The other trees have not quite woken up yet.

So that, along with now starting meat chickens and the steer from last year, I am hopeful we will finally reach our goal of producing 75% of all of our food at home this year.

We still have close to 700 pounds of beef in the freezer so we will not start another steer until after fall roundup this year.
    Admin for the most politically correct site on the web. Welcome to the OTP!

Follow our house build: http://www.mtacres.net/

16. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Inor For This Useful Post:

bigwheel (03-24-2022),Broncosfan (03-15-2022),hawgrider (03-15-2022),Mad Trapper (03-14-2022),Prepared One (03-15-2022),Slippy (03-14-2022),StratBastard (03-15-2022)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 24,847 Times in 6,976 Posts
    Pea seeds go in the ground this weekend, everything else in a few weeks.

We plan on reducing our tomato crop this year and increasing squash, zucchini, cucumbers, radishes and peppers.

Also, we will add more leafy green stuff and perennial herbs to supplement the chicken feed as the 3 beds near the coop are ready to plant.

We have plenty if seeds but as always, we supplement with some seedlings of various veggies from the feed store or HD.

PS Our lemon tree gave us a good yield of lemons this winter. The tree is maybe 15 years old and every other year or so, we get a bunch of lemons. I keep it trimmed back to a dwarf sized lemon tree and its in a very large pot that we move in the basement in th winter. I'm surprised the sumbitch is still alive and producing after all these years! Pics tomorrow!!

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Slippy For This Useful Post:

hawgrider (03-15-2022),Inor (03-14-2022),Prepared One (03-15-2022),StratBastard (03-15-2022)

VIP Member!

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 4,925 Times in 1,317 Posts
    Just finished prepping the 12 raised beds: fertilized, turned the soil, added more organic soil.

Garlic is doing great for planned July harvest (planted last Sept)
    Carrots survived over winter - still small
    Asparagus bed hasn't started sprouting yet and neither has the strawberry bed - too early.

Planted snap peas, more carrots and spinach in the garden yesterday

Window shelf has: Artichoke, Basil, Bell Peppers, Broccoli, Cabbage, Cauliflower, Eggplants, Kale, Oregano, Rosemary & tomato starts on a heat mat and overhead sun lights.
    Just planted Watermelon & Swiss Chard - indoors

Next weekend: cantaloupes & cucumbers indoors

Got my list for the next indoor planting set as well as the garden laid out.
    Bought 3 more 16' x 34" hog fences that we use as trellis' for beans, peas, cucumbers, Delicata squash.

Also cleaned and fertilized the 4 - 25' corn rows...No planting yet as I start them in the greenhouse soon.

So, we pray it will be another good year like last. We are still eating: tomatoes (frozen), marinated eggplants, homemade sun dried tomatoes, frozen zucchini slices, and frozen corn from the garage freezer. Oh, we thaw them before eating!

Peace out...
    Peace,
    Michael J.

20. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Michael_Js For This Useful Post:

Broncosfan (03-15-2022),hawgrider (03-15-2022),Inor (03-15-2022),Mad Trapper (03-15-2022),MountainGirl (03-15-2022),Prepared One (03-15-2022),Slippy (03-15-2022),StratBastard (03-15-2022)

Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast