Thread: Batteries

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 8,722 Times in 3,588 Posts

Batteries

As some of you know, I am kind of a radio guy. This week, I was reading the Partisan Operator Journals, by John Jacob Schmidt. JJS is the guy behind AMRRON. The Partisan Operator Journals is a project where 1/2 of a code was provided on the AMRRON website, and the 2nd half was only transmitted over the air. Since Volume 1 is now complete, he had it edited, and printed as a paperback. But I digress.

One of the PITA's about operating portable was the weight of the battery vs. its operating time (Ahs). The book addresses that problem, and I learned about LiFePO4 batteries. LiFePO4 translates to Lithium Iron Phosphate 4 cell, to obtain 12VDC output. A little research revealed that they hold charge longer, have a longer lifespan, and weigh about 1/2 of a sealed lead acid battery of the same capacity.
    It took some digging, but MOST of these batteries originate in China, however, there are a couple of sources of US made batteries. Battle Borne Batteries is one, https://battlebornbatteries.com/

Another source is Dakota Lithium Batteries https://dakotalithium.com/

They can also be found on Amazon or Fleabay. Just be careful, because THOSE sites will misdirect you. I have ordered one of the smaller Dakota units, to see if it will power my Yaesu.

Thought you folks would like to know.

TJC
    BAH FUCKING HUMBUG!

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to TJC44 For This Useful Post:

1skrewsloose (04-10-2022),Inor (04-09-2022),Jester-ND (04-09-2022),MountainGirl (04-10-2022),shootbrownelk (04-11-2022)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 5,643 Times in 2,025 Posts
    Tagged

Joe