Thread: Gold reclaimation

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 34,019 Times in 10,450 Posts

Gold reclaimation

Have any of you tried reclaiming the gold from old electronics? I have a bunch of old junk computers, laser printers and networking hardware that I need to get rid of. It looks like the process of reclaiming the gold from them is not that difficult to do. But I was wondering if you get enough gold to even make the effort worth the time and expense of buying the chemicals.

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Someone on another board said they did this, but they didn't say much. From the instructables website, but you may look like the guy from that tv show that cooks meth....

1 gallon of Clorox Bleach. or Sodium hypochlorate at 6%
    2. Muriatic Acid 34% HCL ~ Baume.
    3. Hydrogen Peroxide - 3% but no greater then 5%
    4. Stumpout by Bonide. or Sodium bisulfate - 99.9% as specified in the Msds or Sodium Meta Bisulfite.
    You cannot substitue with these chemicals trying to do so will no give the required reactions.

Occasionally Replies Back rjd25's Avatar
    Thanks
    I've done it. You don't get much. The best things are computer RAM chips. Cut off the fins throw them in the solution above and wait. Then you filter it through a coffee filter. After that you have to separate the imperfections with some muriatic acid. Neutralize the acid and then smelt the gold. You get VERY little gold though.

Thanks
    Here is a video on the entire process from start to finish.

Part 1 separating the gold from chips https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lXd85YfcvY

Part 2 Refining and smelting https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5c9Z...ation_10285817

5. The Following User Says Thank You to rjd25 For This Useful Post:

Inor (02-08-2015)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rjd25 View Post
    Here is a video on the entire process from start to finish.

Part 1 separating the gold from chips https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lXd85YfcvY

Part 2 Refining and smelting https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5c9Z...ation_10285817
    Those are the videos I watched. It looks pretty easy, but I am thinking it may not be worth the time and expense for the chemicals.

Thanks for the info!

Thanks
    Easy yes, but the startup costs plus costs to get enough e-scrap to make a worthwhile amount of gold is prohibitive. Unless you work in IT and have access to the computers before they get junked.

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rjd25 View Post
    Easy yes, but the startup costs plus costs to get enough e-scrap to make a worthwhile amount of gold is prohibitive. Unless you work in IT and have access to the computers before they get junked.
    I do work in IT but the last thing I need right now is to bringing a bunch more crap into my home.

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 24,848 Times in 6,976 Posts
    Inor,
    A guy I used to work with tried it once and told us that he would have been better off had he spent the same amount of time delivering pizza's.

I have burned a couple of old computers in an outdoor firepit and when the batteries and wires catch fire its pretty cool.

Thanks

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Slippy For This Useful Post:

Innkeeper (02-09-2015),Inor (02-08-2015)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    The older computers allegedly have a little more of the yellow stuff. So you guys should be golden if you find where you put your PC's from the Revolutionary war.
    its not as pure either or so im told? $1,200 an ounce still?
    What's the difference between a crackhead and a tweaker?
    The crackhead will steal your shit and bounce--the tweaker will steal your shit and then help you look for it.

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    I LOVE your new signature James!

I do have an HP LaserJet IV from about '92 or '93. Also few desktops from a few years later and several Dell laptops from the 2000's. But, I think I will just drop them at the recycle center. It seems the amount of gold is not worth the effort and expense of the chemicals. But, based on Slippy's advice, I am going to save the batteries from the laptops for the campfires next summer. Slip has never steered me wrong. We have already shot up the hard drives at the range.

I am just trying to live up to the prepper's motto: Reuse, retask, repeat...

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Inor For This Useful Post:

Innkeeper (02-09-2015),James m (02-08-2015),TJC44 (02-09-2015)