Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Built a platform for my Maverick deer blind.

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 17,459 Times in 5,180 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hawgrider View Post
    It's maddening for sure!
    Have you done any ground stands with natural materials? Just a little plastic can make them rain proof and they are not noticeable like a pre-made tent, cost about a sheet of plastic. I'll get a picture of one close by. Make a few for different weather/winds.

I've also done pit blinds, not good in inclement weather, and field of view limited. But did it bow hunting right next to a run. Pop up and deer are like WTF? You are 6 yards away?

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mad Trapper For This Useful Post:

hawgrider (05-24-2022),MountainGirl (05-24-2022),shootbrownelk (05-27-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Trapper View Post
    Have you done any ground stands with natural materials? Just a little plastic can make them rain proof and they are not noticeable like a pre-made tent, cost about a sheet of plastic. I'll get a picture of one close by. Make a few for different weather/winds.

I've also done pit blinds, not good in inclement weather, and field of view limited. But did it bow hunting right next to a run. Pop up and deer are like WTF? You are 6 yards away?
    Oh yeah did 40 years of natural ground and pit blinds also many of tree stand hunts. Im to old and spoiled now that I hunt my son inlaws farm land. I now sit in a heated 72 inch tall 6 ft dia 9 window Maverick blind.
    I have always done all day hunts so now its comfortable hot coffee hot hot lunch and wait for the bucks to fall into my sights. No more tents either this is a permanent blind.
    "The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath." W. C. Fields

4. The Following User Says Thank You to hawgrider For This Useful Post:

shootbrownelk (05-27-2022)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by hawgrider View Post
    Oh yeah did 40 years of natural ground and pit blinds also many of tree stand hunts. Im to old and spoiled now that I hunt my son inlaws farm land. I now sit in a heated 72 inch tall 6 ft dia 9 window Maverick blind.
    I have always done all day hunts so now its comfortable hot coffee hot hot lunch and wait for the bucks to fall into my sights. No more tents either this is a permanent blind.
    I'm getting old too. But if if there is fresh tracking snow, or wet/quiet, and woods are not "crunchy", I still prefer cutting a fresh big track until I shoot/shot/missed or it gets dark.

Blinds are for small places where deer need to come to you (suburbs) and not chase them into houses, or it's too noisy to hunt. I learn a lot more stalking and it's more enjoyable/healthy than sitting in a stand. HEATED!!! WTF!!!! If I can shoot one from my house I will though.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mad Trapper For This Useful Post:

Box of frogs (05-24-2022),hawgrider (05-24-2022),Ricekila (05-24-2022),shootbrownelk (05-27-2022)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 17,534 Times in 6,092 Posts
    If I can shoot one from my house I will though.
    Wifey's cousin in PA has a nice range setup ---- and if he sits in his back room early in the mornings with the sliding glass doors open ------- BANG --- Bambi in the freezer -- BANG ---- Ronno in the freezer -------- he can average 2 or more per month if he wants ------- he lets the young ones pass through --- old and sick ----- they never make it to the other side of the yard ------

NRA Instructor / RSO & NRA Life Member / NYSRPA member / GOA member / S.A.F.E. Armorer / 03-FFL / Moist Nugget gun nut / Venturing Crew COR / Ammosexual / Wayne County PA - visitors CCW holder / And a right wing Republican Jew with guns

The word liberal is a misnomer ( look it up )

And Epstein didn't kill himself

Μολών Λaβέ

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Ricekila For This Useful Post:

1skrewsloose (05-26-2022),hawgrider (05-28-2022),Mad Trapper (05-24-2022),shootbrownelk (05-27-2022),Slippy (05-24-2022)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricekila View Post
    Wifey's cousin in PA has a nice range setup ---- and if he sits in his back room early in the mornings with the sliding glass doors open ------- BANG --- Bambi in the freezer -- BANG ---- Ronno in the freezer -------- he can average 2 or more per month if he wants ------- he lets the young ones pass through --- old and sick ----- they never make it to the other side of the yard ------
    i got up last week started coffee opened up barn.

Had coffee eggs went back out, WTF? Debris out of barn, bear with bag of sunflower seed looking at me. Gun was inside, bear left ASAP..........

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Mad Trapper For This Useful Post:

1skrewsloose (05-26-2022),hawgrider (05-24-2022),Ricekila (05-24-2022),shootbrownelk (05-27-2022),Slippy (05-24-2022)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    i got up last week started coffee opened up barn.

Had coffee eggs went back out, WTF? Debris out of barn, bear with bag of sunflower seed looking at me. Gun was inside, bear left ASAP..........
    We have the same animal problem here ---- for the last 3 years or so -- I have a LC-9 tucked in my shorts whenever I go into my yard --

The dazzling young urbanites love dem-some senior citizens a lot of push-ins lately ----- rastus would be in for a big surprise -- LOL

NRA Instructor / RSO & NRA Life Member / NYSRPA member / GOA member / S.A.F.E. Armorer / 03-FFL / Moist Nugget gun nut / Venturing Crew COR / Ammosexual / Wayne County PA - visitors CCW holder / And a right wing Republican Jew with guns

Μολών Λaβέ

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ricekila For This Useful Post:

hawgrider (05-24-2022),Inor (05-27-2022),MountainGirl (05-25-2022),shootbrownelk (05-27-2022)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricekila View Post
    We have the same animal problem here ---- for the last 3 years or so -- I have a LC-9 tucked in my shorts whenever I go into my yard --

The dazzling young urbanites love dem-some senior citizens a lot of push-ins lately ----- rastus would be in for a big surprise -- LOL
    To avoid gun law storage, I use Hawken perc rifles, always a few loaded and handy, 50s shoot -385 54 -425 and 58 525-gr. All with a stout charge that will ventilate any beast in NA.

the 50 at 50 , opens 5 shots of 385 conicals, that's minute of deer : 2" high at 50 about 1" at 80, and dead on at 100, ~1" high 25

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	50cal50yds.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	79.1 KB 
ID:	18624

14. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Mad Trapper For This Useful Post:

1skrewsloose (05-26-2022),hawgrider (05-24-2022),Inor (05-27-2022),Ricekila (05-24-2022),shootbrownelk (05-27-2022),Slippy (05-24-2022)

I'm getting old too. But if if there is fresh tracking snow, or wet/quiet, and woods are not "crunchy", I still prefer cutting a fresh big track until I shoot/shot/missed or it gets dark.

Blinds are for small places where deer need to come to you (suburbs) and not chase them into houses, or it's too noisy to hunt. I learn a lot more stalking and it's more enjoyable/healthy than sitting in a stand. HEATED!!! WTF!!!! If I can shoot one from my house I will though.
    I used to still/stalk hunt on state and federal land. Farm country now with wood lots in-between corn wheat and soy beans.
    "The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath." W. C. Fields

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hawgrider For This Useful Post:

Ricekila (05-24-2022),shootbrownelk (05-27-2022)

Platform is up and level. Will attach the Maverick blind to the deck tomorrow.

18. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to hawgrider For This Useful Post:

A Watchman (05-28-2022),Inor (05-27-2022),MountainGirl (05-27-2022),Ricekila (05-27-2022),shootbrownelk (05-27-2022),Slippy (05-28-2022)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Here's a question --- paint the outside edges & posts a flat neutral color ?

And a trap door in the middle ?

Dead nuts level or rain run-off slight tilt ?

Μολών Λaβέ

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ricekila For This Useful Post:

hawgrider (05-27-2022),Inor (05-27-2022),shootbrownelk (05-27-2022),Slippy (05-28-2022)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast