Thread: It must be a generational thing

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 34,018 Times in 10,450 Posts

It must be a generational thing

A big part of the motivation Mrs Inor and I had when we started thinking about building M.T. Acres was to get to the point where we are raising most of our own food. For the most part, we are there now with raising a beef every 2 years, two batches of meat chickens per year, the gardens and the egg chickens. But we have always been thinking about raising 2-3 pigs on the years we are not raising a beef.

A couple years ago a young couple and their 4 kids decided to "homestead" about 2 miles from us. They are a very nice family and damn hard workers. Mrs Inor and I call them "The Pilgrims". They all live in an Airstream trailer and they are building an adobe "house". I quote "homestead" and "house" because they are not really homesteading in the sense that they are not living off the land; they are more trying to live a green-tard life. It's a real weird setup, but they are friendly enough and we both think highly of their kids.

They make all their money from doing YouTube videos and selling T-Shirts from their web site. Here is their web site for a better flavor of what they have going on: https://tinyshinyhome.com/

Back to the pigs... I was thinking, I really do not want to go through the hassle of setting up a pen for pigs if I do not have to. So I got to thinking, if I offered to buy two Duroc pigs for The Pilgrims and a couple for us, plus pay for the feed for all of them, they could just setup and raise the pigs for all of us. Raising them is not difficult once the infrastructure is in place and they only go for about 4-6 months until they are ready to butcher. At the end, they could either pay to have theirs butchered or keep them as a breeding pair and we would just buy subsequent pigs from them and pay them to raise them for us. It seemed like a pretty sweet deal for all concerned to me...

So I got into a conversation with them about the idea. First they decided they did not just want Duroc or Berkshire pigs; they wanted some kind of special New Zealand pigs. The New Zealand pigs are about $300 per piglet (as opposed to $100-$150 for normal pigs). Then, the New Zealand pigs are not ready to butcher for at least 2 years and even then, they are quite a bit smaller. I.E. We would be lucky to get 100 pounds of meat from each pig as opposed to about 200-250 pounds for normal pigs. Finally, they wanted to not feed the New Zealand pigs normal pig feed from local feed mill, they wanted to feed them some kind of special crap they were going to buy online for 3 times the price!

So this week I have my fence builder coming by to give us an estimate for putting in a new gate and fencing off a pig pasture. Meanwhile, I am going to have to work up the ambition to trench a new water line. GRRRR!!!

What the hell is wrong with the younger generation? You offer them a good deal to get setup and get started, but they still go full retard on you?!?
    Admin for the most politically correct site on the web. Welcome to the OTP!

Follow our house build: http://www.mtacres.net/

2. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Inor For This Useful Post:

BucketBack (06-28-2022),Dwight55 (06-27-2022),Mad Trapper (06-27-2022),Michael_Js (06-26-2022),MountainGirl (06-28-2022),Prepared One (06-27-2022),shootbrownelk (06-27-2022),Slippy (06-27-2022),SOCOM42 (06-27-2022),StratBastard (06-26-2022)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 14,183 Times in 4,306 Posts
    I hope I am wrong . . . but it just seems to me . . . the younger they are . . . the dumber they are.

And the dumb is a combination of hard headed stupidity and lack of really good educational opportunities.

I didn't know I could do it . . . but I was educationally qualified to build my own 2 story house when I was 17. Kids today . . . you go into a store . . . buy 95 cents worth of stuff . . . give em a dollar . . . they can't make the change until the register tells em to give me a nickel.

May God bless,
    Dwight
    If you can breathe, . . . thank God.

If you can read, . . . thank a teacher.

If you can read in English, . . . thank a veteran.

www.dwightsgunleather.com

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

4. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Dwight55 For This Useful Post:

1skrewsloose (06-27-2022),Chiefster23 (06-27-2022),Inor (06-27-2022),Mad Trapper (06-27-2022),Michael_Js (06-27-2022),MountainGirl (06-28-2022),Prepared One (06-27-2022),shootbrownelk (06-27-2022),T-Man 1066 (06-27-2022)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 46,310 Times in 13,198 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwight55 View Post
    I hope I am wrong . . . but it just seems to me . . . the younger they are . . . the dumber they are.

And the dumb is a combination of hard headed stupidity and lack of really good educational opportunities.

I didn't know I could do it . . . but I was educationally qualified to build my own 2 story house when I was 17. Kids today . . . you go into a store . . . buy 95 cents worth of stuff . . . give em a dollar . . . they can't make the change until the register tells em to give me a nickel.

May God bless,
    Dwight
    The problem here is the main stream media only shows us the worst of the millennial generation. We see chuckleheads lighting dumpsters on fire. Tossing molotov cocktails. Waving the faggy flag (sorry, is that offensive?) The millennials are kicking a$$ and taking names in the world of capitalism. They are not what we are showered with constantly by the MSN. There are PLENTY of millennials fully ready to take the wheel of the world. Doing so right now. You'll just never hear about them on the so-called "news". We all had our devils to fight as boomers too. I am all for giving those in the younger generation their chance to swing the bat. They have more information than we had. More tech. The conservative ones are absolute T-Rexes.
    A.K.A. StratBastard
    "It can't be fixed."
    NRA Member
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFa4g5nQPss

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to StratBastard For This Useful Post:

Dwight55 (06-27-2022),Inor (06-27-2022),MountainGirl (06-28-2022),Slippy (06-27-2022)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 24,847 Times in 6,976 Posts
    I'll have to research these "pilgrims" and get back to you...

Should be fun.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Slippy For This Useful Post:

Inor (06-27-2022),Mad Trapper (06-27-2022)

I have raised hogs several times. Yep them things need good fence, and lots of food. Them greenies will not make any money with some fancy shmancy slow growing hogs. When they get towards butcher weight they eat ALOT. Stay with your plan Inor.

And to the younger generation, I think there are a few good ones sprinkled in between a whole lot of snowflakes. Just that the snowflakes are louder and won't work, so they got more time to up their social media game.

Youngins need chores, not another new cell phone!

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to T-Man 1066 For This Useful Post:

Inor (06-27-2022),Slippy (06-28-2022)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 34,018 Times in 10,450 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by T-Man 1066 View Post
    I have raised hogs several times. Yep them things need good fence, and lots of food. Them greenies will not make any money with some fancy shmancy slow growing hogs. When they get towards butcher weight they eat ALOT. Stay with your plan Inor.

And to the younger generation, I think there are a few good ones sprinkled in between a whole lot of snowflakes. Just that the snowflakes are louder and won't work, so they got more time to up their social media game.

Youngins need chores, not another new cell phone!
    The Pilgrims are not afraid to get their hands dirty. On balance, they are definitely in the asset column. But some of the shit that comes out of their pie hole sure makes me scratch my head sometimes.

As an example... When they were building their building for the solar power I took my tractor over and moved a bunch of dirt for them to use for the building. To get the dirt, they asked me to just dig a big hole in the corner of their property. The hole must be about 30 feet in diameter and about 6-8 feet deep. That prompted the following conversation:

Me: Do you want me to dig some kind of drainage from that hole into the wash running along the side of your property so you do not get standing water in the hole next time it rains?

Pilgrims: No. We want the water to collect in the hole so we can swim in it.

Me: You do realize, we live on a cattle ranch in the middle of the desert right?

Pilgrims: Yeah, so?

Me: If you have standing water, the next morning you will have 300 cows standing in and around that hole. Not to mention coyotes, deer, javalinas, rattlesnakes and every other pest from 3 counties over...

Pilgrims: We can easily drive the cows off and the wildlife won't come around with all of us here.

Me: Okay...

The first time it rained, they woke up to 300 cows, javalinas, coyotes, deer, skunks, rabbits and rattlesnakes all standing (and shitting) around their hole.
    Last edited by Inor; 06-27-2022 at 08:31 PM.
    Admin for the most politically correct site on the web. Welcome to the OTP!

Follow our house build: http://www.mtacres.net/

12. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Inor For This Useful Post:

1skrewsloose (06-27-2022),hawgrider (06-27-2022),Mad Trapper (06-27-2022),Michael_Js (06-27-2022),MountainGirl (06-28-2022),Slippy (06-28-2022),StratBastard (06-28-2022),T-Man 1066 (06-28-2022)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 33,020 Times in 14,691 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Inor View Post
    A big part of the motivation Mrs Inor and I had when we started thinking about building M.T. Acres was to get to the point where we are raising most of our own food. For the most part, we are there now with raising a beef every 2 years, two batches of meat chickens per year, the gardens and the egg chickens. But we have always been thinking about raising 2-3 pigs on the years we are not raising a beef.

A couple years ago a young couple and their 4 kids decided to "homestead" about 2 miles from us. They are a very nice family and damn hard workers. Mrs Inor and I call them "The Pilgrims". They all live in an Airstream trailer and they are building an adobe "house". I quote "homestead" and "house" because they are not really homesteading in the sense that they are not living off the land; they are more trying to live a green-tard life. It's a real weird setup, but they are friendly enough and we both think highly of their kids.

They make all their money from doing YouTube videos and selling T-Shirts from their web site. Here is their web site for a better flavor of what they have going on: https://tinyshinyhome.com/

Back to the pigs... I was thinking, I really do not want to go through the hassle of setting up a pen for pigs if I do not have to. So I got to thinking, if I offered to buy two Duroc pigs for The Pilgrims and a couple for us, plus pay for the feed for all of them, they could just setup and raise the pigs for all of us. Raising them is not difficult once the infrastructure is in place and they only go for about 4-6 months until they are ready to butcher. At the end, they could either pay to have theirs butchered or keep them as a breeding pair and we would just buy subsequent pigs from them and pay them to raise them for us. It seemed like a pretty sweet deal for all concerned to me...

So I got into a conversation with them about the idea. First they decided they did not just want Duroc or Berkshire pigs; they wanted some kind of special New Zealand pigs. The New Zealand pigs are about $300 per piglet (as opposed to $100-$150 for normal pigs). Then, the New Zealand pigs are not ready to butcher for at least 2 years and even then, they are quite a bit smaller. I.E. We would be lucky to get 100 pounds of meat from each pig as opposed to about 200-250 pounds for normal pigs. Finally, they wanted to not feed the New Zealand pigs normal pig feed from local feed mill, they wanted to feed them some kind of special crap they were going to buy online for 3 times the price!

So this week I have my fence builder coming by to give us an estimate for putting in a new gate and fencing off a pig pasture. Meanwhile, I am going to have to work up the ambition to trench a new water line. GRRRR!!!

What the hell is wrong with the younger generation? You offer them a good deal to get setup and get started, but they still go full retard on you?!?
    So my buddy , who has since passed, ran into an inheritance from granny.

He moved into granny's condo and was sleeping on a bare mattress in the living room.

I brought him over a set of sheets . He wouldn't use them since they were only 200 thread count and wanted at least 400 thread count.

Oh, he smoked the inheritance.
    Keep Your Head Up, And your Stick On The Ice.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BucketBack For This Useful Post:

1skrewsloose (06-28-2022),Inor (06-28-2022),MountainGirl (06-28-2022)

VIP Member!

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 5,163 Times in 1,727 Posts
    Years ago my buddy's son wanted a ride to the high school for basketball, wouldn't take a ride from his dad cause he didn't want to be seen riding in an old chevy truck, so he walked there.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 1skrewsloose For This Useful Post:

Inor (06-28-2022),MountainGirl (06-28-2022)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 3,010 Times in 932 Posts
    my solution was indoctrinating my 14 year old with reading prepper books growing up.... that way when the flush hits, he will at least know what is happening.
    IN OMNIA PARATUS

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jester-ND For This Useful Post:

Inor (06-28-2022),Mad Trapper (06-28-2022),Michael_Js (06-28-2022),MountainGirl (06-28-2022)