Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Storing whole potatoes - thoughts?

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 15,330 Times in 5,120 Posts
    Now deferring to the judgement of horses ~ because Truth comes in 30 round bursts.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to MountainGirl For This Useful Post:

shootbrownelk (07-11-2022)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 3,950 Times in 916 Posts
    MG. You’re in TX and it’s hot down there. Summers up here get pretty hot too. I can outside on the porch to keep the heat down inside the house. I started using a Coleman propane camping stove. It worked OK. Last year I found an antique Griswold 2 burner cast iron table top stove. It was designed to burn natural gas but I readjusted the needle valves to use propane. It works better than the Coleman stove. And thank god the kitchen is much cooler now during canning season.

Two days ago I purchased a Ball jam and jelly maker. Just made 4 half-pints of blueberry jam from my blueberry plants. Soon I will be making peach and blackberry batches of jam.

Sorry. I don’t preserve potatoes. But I do can lots of other things.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Chiefster23 For This Useful Post:

hawgrider (07-10-2022),Mad Trapper (07-10-2022),MountainGirl (07-11-2022),shootbrownelk (07-11-2022)

Little Miss Chatterbox

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 1,433 Times in 679 Posts
    Dehydration with proper storage should keep em somewhat pasably edible for a long time.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bigwheel For This Useful Post:

MountainGirl (07-11-2022),shootbrownelk (07-11-2022),Slippy (07-10-2022)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 17,199 Times in 5,112 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MountainGirl View Post
    That's a good idea, and thanks for the link.

Our stove is a glass top - and I'll need to research how pressure canners work with those. Your thought about a bigger canner gives me a few ideas too... thanks!
    I've done it on a glass top for 10 years now, not broken yet and that's with a big 22-quart. Hawg must have had bad luck, or good luck so far for me?

As mentioned in a later post by @Chiefster23, it does suck doing canning inside when it's already too hot in the summer. I found an old commercial grade counter top 4-burner gas stove. It's stainless with cast iron burners and grates, built like a tank. Might be able to do two canners at once? Will be especially good for boiling down gallons of tomatoes to make sauce. Will be first summer canning outside for me.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mad Trapper For This Useful Post:

hawgrider (07-10-2022),MountainGirl (07-11-2022),Prepared One (07-11-2022),shootbrownelk (07-11-2022)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 3,950 Times in 916 Posts
    I used to make my own spaghetti sauce boiling the sauce down for hours to thicken it up. That really sucked! The house was like an oven!

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Chiefster23 For This Useful Post:

Mad Trapper (07-10-2022),MountainGirl (07-11-2022),shootbrownelk (07-11-2022)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 34,019 Times in 10,450 Posts
    That's a good idea, and thanks for the link.

Our stove is a glass top - and I'll need to research how pressure canners work with those. Your thought about a bigger canner gives me a few ideas too... thanks!
    Be careful with the pressure canner on a glass top stove. Our Minnesota house had a glass top stove and I had to buy Mrs Inor a propane camp stove for the pressure canner. It was too heavy for the glass top.

But pan-fried pressure canned potatoes are the best! They taste more potatoey than fresh.
    Admin for the most politically correct site on the web. Welcome to the OTP!

Follow our house build: http://www.mtacres.net/

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Inor For This Useful Post:

MountainGirl (07-11-2022),shootbrownelk (07-11-2022)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 14,186 Times in 4,307 Posts
    Thanks Dwight! Good information there.

I can do pint jars in my InstaPot Pressure Canner. I'd love to learn about your process; do you have any tips or suggestions for doing potatoes? I know I can probably find much on YouTube... but I'd rather learn from someone I know and trust who actually does it.
    As the others have mentioned . . . give up the instapot . . . go get a full size pressure canner . . . pass it up if it has a gauge . . . you only need the jiggler.

Secondly . . . pass up the glass top . . . they do not get as hot as a regular electric stove . . . I canned on one for a couple years . . . my wife hated the thing . . . so I bought her another one with regular burners.

Get a small apartment gas stove . . . put it out on the back porch . . . in the shed . . . somewhere other than the kitchen . . . pressure canning will heat you up in a NY heartbeat.

And just get a copy of the Ball Canning book . . . it will give you the same directions I have . . . it is what I use . . . it and an old Kerr canning book.

Oh . . . BTW . . . the post man came the other day . . . brought me a Tx letter . . . that was neat . . . thank you.

Canned potatoes are good . . . just peeled potatoes are better. We keep them as long as we can each winter season . . . then either buy from grocery or open up the canned stuff. Like Inor said . . . they are really good sliced and fried kinda crispy brown . . . great for breakfast.

May God bless,
    Dwight
    If you can breathe, . . . thank God.

If you can read, . . . thank a teacher.

If you can read in English, . . . thank a veteran.

www.dwightsgunleather.com

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dwight55 For This Useful Post:

Inor (07-10-2022),MountainGirl (07-11-2022),shootbrownelk (07-11-2022)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 17,199 Times in 5,112 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Inor View Post
    Be careful with the pressure canner on a glass top stove. Our Minnesota house had a glass top stove and I had to buy Mrs Inor a propane camp stove for the pressure canner. It was too heavy for the glass top.

But pan-fried pressure canned potatoes are the best! They taste more potatoey than fresh.
    With smoked bacon!!!

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mad Trapper For This Useful Post:

Inor (07-10-2022),MountainGirl (07-11-2022),Prepared One (07-11-2022),shootbrownelk (07-11-2022)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12