Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Small question -

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 48,657 Times in 13,807 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Inor View Post
    I look at precious metals mostly the same as our pal Stratmaster. We have quite a bit of silver and a little gold. I am not opposed to gold, it just seems that when I have been in the market to buy PMs, silver has usually been a better value so that is what I bought. I doubt I would ever sell any of it unless I were in extreme dire circumstances. Honestly, I'm not even sure why I own it other than it gives me peace of mind and I like it.

Today, I would argue that silver does not really even classify as a "precious metal" anymore. It is really an industrial metal, with far more being used in electronics and other industrial applications than what is mined every year. So, as an investment, I do believe it is a really good investment for the long term (think decades not just years).

I do believe buying gold/silver as a "prep" is a fool's errand. In order to be used as a means of trade, both parties need to understand the value of whatever you are trading. Except for other goldbugs, most folks on the street have no idea what gold/silver is worth, so it is worth precisely NOTHING to them. Mark Dice had a cool video on that on YouTube. He walked up to random strangers and offered them a Hershey bar or an ounce of gold for free. Every single one of them took the candy bar.

But like our pal Strat (I think), I am FIRM believer in holding anything EXCEPT Federal Reserve Notes (or the new Fed CBDC that is coming out next year). That could be land, tools, equipment, food, bullets (although I do have some reservations on holding bullets as an investment/hedge - more on that later if you care for my opinion on it), precious metals, gemstones, oil, lumber, etc. Basically anything of concrete value that is readily convertible is better than holding Federal Reserve Notes.
    That's it in a succicnt nutshell.

If you are a long-time prepper, and have all bases completely covered for a lifetime, there are maybe 3 things you could do with a pile of surplus fiat dollars:

1) Leave them in the bank, and watch it lose 10% of its purchasing power (again) over the next 6 months.
    2) Invest it and only lose 8%... and tie up all options for a year as well.
    3) Buy preps you now don't need, and will never be able to use unless you live to be 200. Meaning not just buy MORE, but buy several hundred thousand$ more.
    4) Buy gold and silver.
    A.K.A. StratBastard
    "It can't be fixed."
    NRA Member
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFa4g5nQPss

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to StratBastard For This Useful Post:

Inor (09-01-2022),MountainGirl (09-02-2022),Prepared One (09-02-2022),shootbrownelk (09-03-2022)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jester-ND View Post
    the belief is that you could buy a loaf of bread with a dime back then, and can still buy a loaf with the same silver dime... They are also trusted more than bars and such because most recognize them and they are standard weight/ purity etc.
    Absolutely. I have told this parable many times, but it bears repeating. It clearly demonstrates how PM's hedge and protect against inflation.

It is 1965. You go into your grandmother's kitchen, and ask her for a dime so you can buy a Coke at the corner grocery. She gives you TWO dimes, so you can buy one for your friend who is coming over too. One of the dimes is a 1964, and made of 90% silver. The other is the new 1965 dime made of pot metal.

You and your friend get distracted, and never make it to the corner store for Cokes.

50 years later, you realize you haven't changed your pants (or underwear) in 50 years. It is 2015. Those two dimes are still in your pocket. Now that Coke sounds pretty good. At the market, you discover a Coke is now $1.29, and neither dime will purchase one. But the guy at the coin shop next door will give you $1.29 for the silver value in the 1964 coin. The 1965 coin is now near worthless.

This demonstrates how PM's protect purchasing power... even over a span of 50 years.
    A.K.A. StratBastard
    "It can't be fixed."
    NRA Member

4. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to StratBastard For This Useful Post:

1skrewsloose (09-15-2022),Dwight55 (09-02-2022),Inor (09-01-2022),Michael_Js (09-02-2022),MountainGirl (09-02-2022),Prepared One (09-02-2022),shootbrownelk (09-03-2022),stevekozak (09-03-2022)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 5,729 Times in 2,051 Posts
    Just to add a wrinkle to pm keeping....
    I have a small collection of fake silver....including a Morgan my dealer swears is real and some scary good Eagles....
    Caution when buying from random people...

Joe

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to red442joe For This Useful Post:

1skrewsloose (09-15-2022),Inor (09-02-2022),MountainGirl (09-02-2022),shootbrownelk (09-03-2022),stevekozak (09-03-2022),StratBastard (09-02-2022)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 15,420 Times in 5,138 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by StratMaster View Post
    ... buying gold and silver is (done) as a hedge. To protect your purchasing power until a currency reset. That's all. ...
    That ^^ answers my question in the OP. Thank you, sir.

- and this:

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight55 View Post
    A person has to have bunches of money to run out of things to prep with and feel the need to buy precious metals.

There is long term storage food . . . clothing . . . medical supplies . . . blankets . . . socks . . . shoes . . . cold weather clothing . . . pots . . . pans . . . shovels . . . picks . . . axes . . . knives . . . the list is endless.

Buying them now, if you have the spare cash . . . will leave your survivors with some good preps . . . and should stuff happen . . . you will again be in the seller's market with those types of goods. Purchased now . . . put in plastic storage containers . . . and stashed . . . will give you the ability to trade goods for food . . . goods for ammo . . . goods for protection/security . . . for YOUR needs.

If our society goes south for any of a dozen reasons . . . we will be on our own that first day . . . with what we have. Stores will be looted . . . thieves will be looking to steal anything not secured . . . and it WILL be tough to survive.

You might even want to invest in some gas or diesel powered machine that you have inspected for certain and there are no computer chips in it. Less than 1% of the vehicles that can run today . . . will run on that day. In addition . . . make sure you have a supply of fuel for it.

Buy survival goods . . .

May God bless,
    Dwight
    For me, for us, for Ten Oaks - is the
    Now deferring to the judgement of horses ~ because Truth comes in 30 round bursts.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MountainGirl For This Useful Post:

Dwight55 (09-02-2022),Prepared One (09-02-2022),shootbrownelk (09-03-2022)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 4,007 Times in 1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwight55 View Post
    The answer to your question is the old line . . . "Want the answer? Follow the money trail."

The whole thing is one kind of scam or another . . . vanilla, chocolate, strawberry ice cream tastes different . . . but it is still ice cream. These scams are like that . . . different speech . . . different spiel . . . same thing though: to get your money.

Anyone buying gold / silver for any other idea than to sell it down the road for a profit . . . is wasting their resources.

Want something good for the SHTF coming up??? Buy guns . . . ammo . . . primers . . . bullets . . . reloading equipment . . . and long term storage food.

Any of those will trade easily and handily during the SHTF . . .

Besides that . . . when it does happen and you walk up unarmed with a pocket full of gold pieces . . . to buy a gun . . . from someone you don't know . . . what's to stop him from walking away from you with his gun, your gold . . . and you bleeding like the devil??

And as well . . . if SHTF does occur . . . if and when stuff settles down . . . you can sell some of the guns you acquired . . . for a real value . . . instead of $1 an oz for your gold . . . when HE has the stuff you need . . . and all you have is some shiny little coins. They can't bake, shoot, boil, fish, fry, drive . . . just pretty pieces of metal . . . worth only what the other guy wants to give you for it.

You will have a seller's market with the other things I mentioned.

Think about it.

May God bless,
    Dwight
    Diversify. There is no one answer just as there is no one SHTF that we prepare for. Gold and Silver are a hedge. A damn fine hedge. They are not meant to be the end all be all prep by any means. As you say, guns and ammo and components there of are a a prep we should definitely have also. Food, shelter, and like-minded companions are also necessary preps. Never put your eggs in one basket. 2 is 1 and 1 is none. Prep.
    War is Peace.
    Freedom is Slavery
    Ignorance is Strength

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to stevekozak For This Useful Post:

Dwight55 (09-03-2022),Michael_Js (09-03-2022),MountainGirl (09-03-2022),StratBastard (09-03-2022)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Gold drops to $1705 today, silver at $18.18
    A.K.A. StratBastard
    "It can't be fixed."
    NRA Member

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to StratBastard For This Useful Post:

Inor (09-06-2022),SOCOM42 (09-06-2022)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 34,237 Times in 10,488 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by StratBastard View Post
    Gold drops to $1705 today, silver at $18.18
    $1695 gold and $17.86 silver right now on Kitco.

They both probably have at least one more leg down. How big that is depends on what the Fed does with rates later this month. Hopefully one more big wipeout for stocks will be enough to turn the correlation between gold and stocks negative. It is time to start watching paper gold REAL close to see how it moves against the DOW and the S&P.

It is also time to tighten the time window for watching price action on gold. I suggest, no larger than 5 days. Continue to watch the 20 day (trading days) window, but trade in the much tighter quarters of 5 business days.
    Admin for the most politically correct site on the web. Welcome to the OTP!

Follow our house build: http://www.mtacres.net/

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Inor For This Useful Post:

StratBastard (09-06-2022)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Gold dropping again, down to $1711... silver hanging in there at $19.57.
    Stock market took it in the shorts today.
    A.K.A. StratBastard
    "It can't be fixed."
    NRA Member

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 34,237 Times in 10,488 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by StratBastard View Post
    Gold dropping again, down to $1711... silver hanging in there at $19.57.
    Stock market took it in the shorts today.
    This is the start of the Gold/Silver-stock disconnect that I have been waiting for! The DOW is down 1300, but gold is not down nearly as much percentage-wise. So it looks like a lot of the selling of gold to cover stock margin calls is about done. It looks the same on Bitcoin as well. We will know for sure when the Fed raises interest rates next week. The market will likely crater again but I am guessing gold will not be slammed near as much. It might drop a bit more just because the Federal Reserve Note will go up against other currencies, but I do not expect a huge fall down.

I think it is time to start cautiously piling into Gold/Silver and hang on for one hell of a ride.
    Admin for the most politically correct site on the web. Welcome to the OTP!

Follow our house build: http://www.mtacres.net/

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Inor For This Useful Post:

Broncosfan (09-13-2022),StratBastard (09-13-2022)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 3,077 Times in 949 Posts
    got an alert from JM Bullion that some gold on sale.... history has taught me that means they think it will drop further.... Every time I buy their sale, it drops.
    IN OMNIA PARATUS

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jester-ND For This Useful Post:

Michael_Js (09-14-2022),StratBastard (09-14-2022)

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast