Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Generator furnace hook-up

It might be exactly what Chiefster23 just said. The generator likely will have a lug on the frame for an auxillary ground.
    Politicians can kiss my ass!!!

VIP Member!

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 1,277 Times in 405 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by POBILLY DUKE View Post
    I unplug the furnace from the wall receptical, then plug the furnace directly into an ext cord that runs directly to the generator.
    Could the transformer that powers the thermostat be on another circuit? Seems like I've seen some set up that way.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to MoreAmmoOK For This Useful Post:

hawgrider (12-23-2022)

Diddy-bopper

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by T-Man 1066 View Post
    It might be exactly what Chiefster23 just said. The generator likely will have a lug on the frame for an auxillary ground.
    I did ground the generator with a copper cable to a metal stake 16" into the ground.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to POBILLY DUKE For This Useful Post:

T-Man 1066 (12-23-2022)

Diddy-bopper

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MoreAmmoOK View Post
    Could the transformer that powers the thermostat be on another circuit? Seems like I've seen some set up that way.
    This I have no idea, I can check our circuit box, maybe it could tell me.

Diddy-bopper

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by hawgrider View Post
    thats a small generator. 4000 watts peak surge. The new furnace may have a biggler fan motor.
    Check to see how many run amps the motor is. It takes 1 and a half times the run Amps when the motor starts. So the old genny may not be big enough for the new furnace.

Give our buddy Sparkyprep a PM he is the Electrician round here he may be able to explain it better.
    I could not find anything on the motor other than 115 volts 60 HZ

Diddy-bopper

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SOCOM42 View Post
    I run two oil burners off of 4,500 watts.

Not tonight but, I will walk you through some test, unless you can do them without instructions,

Tomorrow I should be here in the evening, I have to test run mine tomorrow, did not get to it today.

I have three to run one dual fuel and one gas, the is last diesel, hate running that one.

The circulator fan load does not apply until the stack has come up to temp, the primary takes care of that.

Both motors even if started together would not overload the generator.

Oh, yeah, what voltage is the genset?

Are the plugs and extension wire two or three wire on all relative to this problem?

On the access door or panel is there a schematic of the wiring?

Can you give me the make and model of the whole furnace unit, might be able to find it online.
    Generator is a Champian 3500, 4000 peak
    Everything is 3 wire
    There is wiring schematic
    Make and Model - Amana AMEC961004CNAS
    And I do have a volt meter

Diddy-bopper

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Chiefster23 View Post
    Use your volt meter and measure the voltage at the female plug at the end of your extension cord to verify that the generator is functioning and the extension cord is ok. Maybe plug something in to test the genny and this part of the problem.

Then take the same extension cord and plug it into the same receptacle you plug you furnace in to. Plug the furnace in to the female end. Does your furnace work?

If the furnace works, most likely your problem is a floating neutral. Your furnace may be wired so the it will not run if it doesn’t detect a grounding connection. The generator has a floating neutral and when you disconnect your furnace plug from the wall receptacle , you remove the ground connection. To fix this you will need to ground the furnace to your house ground.
    I will need to check into whether or not the furnace is grounded to the house ground, if not I will have to figure out how to do that.

Diddy-bopper

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MoreAmmoOK View Post
    I wouldn't think so, we are using the same thermostat the old furnace used.

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 4,110 Times in 954 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by POBILLY DUKE View Post
    I will need to check into whether or not the furnace is grounded to the house ground, if not I will have to figure out how to do that.
    The furnace is grounded thru the grounding prong on your plug. When you connect to the generator thru this plug, you are no longer grounded to the house ground. Try grounding your generator to the house ground instead of the rod into the ground.

Older houses are sometimes grounded by connection to the copper water pipes. See if this is the case.

Diddy-bopper

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Chiefster23 View Post
    The furnace is grounded thru the grounding prong on your plug. When you connect to the generator thru this plug, you are no longer grounded to the house ground. Try grounding your generator to the house ground instead of the rod into the ground.

Older houses are sometimes grounded by connection to the copper water pipes. See if this is the case.
    This house was built in 1995.
    I will find the house ground and try to ground the generator that way.
    I appreciate the help from all of you here on OTP!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345