Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Chicken ain't laying what's up with dat

Cayenne pepper on the feed.
    Yes, I've read where TS egg pellet feed had an issue recently.
    I fear the nation I loved may be gone. The best I hope for now is to die with honor in the coming civil war, and that my grandchildren be spared the pain of a tyrannical government.

News Flash: Statistics show the last time Blacks had a 100% employment rate was 1863

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Coastie dad For This Useful Post:

Inor (01-28-2023)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 13,298 Times in 4,820 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    Not sure the causative factor here but my daddy in law said if they stopped laying feed them roasted crushed up egg shells with black pepper.
    https://www.thehappychickencoop.com/...lay-more-eggs/
    Not knockin' ya, but I think the egg shells will just add calcium to their system, making their egg shells harder, but you can do that with crushed oyster shells. I don't like the idea of feeding my chickens anything egg related, because once they get a taste for it, I'm afraid of turning my girls into egg cannibals. This can eventually turn into a real problem, with them eating their own eggs, and I know of no way to break that habit, other than killing the offending chicken. Better never to start that habit.
    Friends don't let friends shoot Glocks.

Proud Deplorable

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sparkyprep For This Useful Post:

1skrewsloose (01-26-2023),bigwheel (01-26-2023),Box of frogs (01-26-2023),hawgrider (01-26-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkyprep View Post
    Not knockin' ya, but I think the egg shells will just add calcium to their system, making their egg shells harder, but you can do that with crushed oyster shells. I don't like the idea of feeding my chickens anything egg related, because once they get a taste for it, I'm afraid of turning my girls into egg cannibals. This can eventually turn into a real problem, with them eating their own eggs, and I know of no way to break that habit, other than killing the offending chicken. Better never to start that habit.
    ^^^ THIS!

You can feed them crushed shells but....

You gotta boil em first. Pain in the ass so if I have a thin shell layer I just get oyster shells from TSC and lets the birds eat it if they want it.
    "The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath." W. C. Fields

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hawgrider For This Useful Post:

Box of frogs (01-26-2023),Sasquatch (01-29-2023)

Little Miss Chatterbox

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 1,437 Times in 681 Posts
    Good point. Never have thought of some of those angles. Thanks. As a former old duck and chicken hobbyist..will say ducks are much more rational durable and fun to be around and the last one we had laid an egg per day...with a huge yolk. Too rich for some folks but they can be traded to chicken farmers to make cake for hen eggs. lol

8. The Following User Says Thank You to bigwheel For This Useful Post:

MountainGirl (01-28-2023)

VIP Member!

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 5,344 Times in 1,783 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparkyprep View Post
    This is true, when I was younger we did the same thing, prevents brittle eggs. Yea, you need to crush them up or they will eat their own eggs

VIP Member!

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 5,344 Times in 1,783 Posts
    I heard on "The Dana Show" today that a lot of farmers have had problems with the chickens not laying after using TS feed. Went to goat feed instead, not sure how that makes sense, but if it works, go for it.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to 1skrewsloose For This Useful Post:

Sparkyprep (01-27-2023)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 25,161 Times in 7,062 Posts
    The other day, we found some old corn meal/corn flour so we baked up a big ole batch of cornbread and fed it to our chickens. We also cleaned out the pantry and found some old Ritz crackers. Broke them up and tossed them to the hens as they free ranged around the yard.

They LOVED it!

Little chicken garbage disposals!

(PS; don't know if they laid more eggs or not but it was entertaining to watch them get all excited over some stale crackers and corn bread!)

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Slippy For This Useful Post:

1skrewsloose (01-27-2023),hawgrider (01-27-2023),Inor (01-28-2023),MountainGirl (01-28-2023)

https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/202...ffrey-epstein/

This interesting, the egg laying conspiracy is in fact true and another example of of the shit that’s going on for population control

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rstanek For This Useful Post:

hawgrider (01-27-2023),Inor (01-28-2023),Michael_Js (01-27-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by rstanek View Post
    https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/202...ffrey-epstein/

This interesting, the egg laying conspiracy is in fact true and another example of of the shit that’s going on for population control
    Pride and Dumor are junk feed anyway.

I cant buy into the conspiracy as it makes no business sence at all. Social media is all on the bandwagon so how does TSC figure that this will be good for business?

Lets blame it on climate change instead... I haven't seen the sun in 2 months so theres that.
    Last edited by hawgrider; 01-27-2023 at 08:18 AM. Reason: Climate
    "The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath." W. C. Fields

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hawgrider For This Useful Post:

Inor (01-28-2023),Michael_Js (01-27-2023),MountainGirl (01-28-2023)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 34,175 Times in 10,477 Posts

Apparently, as others have said, TSC did change up their feed formula and it is causing a problem.

We have not bought any feed from TSC for any of our animals for a few years because they are expensive compared to our local feed mill, so i have not really even paid any attention to their feed issues. I have also noticed they are carrying a lot more junk brands of tools than they used to. I am starting to get a little hesitant about going there for anything lately. Maybe they got some new bean counters or something? But something not good seems to be going on with TSC.
    Admin for the most politically correct site on the web. Welcome to the OTP!

Follow our house build: http://www.mtacres.net/

19. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Inor For This Useful Post:

hawgrider (01-29-2023),Michael_Js (01-28-2023),Sasquatch (01-29-2023),Sparkyprep (01-29-2023)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast