Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Why didn't I think of this before?!?

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 34,228 Times in 10,487 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by T-Man 1066 View Post
    I am guessing no wifi for security.
    I don't think so. This is a development board, so security is not even a consideration most of the time. I think it is because there is nowhere to mount any kind of antenna without interfering with the heat sink. What's crazy is that it does have BlueTooth and support for LoraWAN built in.

There is a wifi daughterboard available for it for around $15, but it is not really necessary. I go back and forth about getting one. But once I get it working the way I have planned, there will be no keyboard or monitor on it. I can just set it next to my router completely headless and use a 12 inch network cable. When I need to log into it, I will just use my laptop and a plain SSH connection or VNC if I need graphics.
    Admin for the most politically correct site on the web. Welcome to the OTP!

Follow our house build: http://www.mtacres.net/

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Inor For This Useful Post:

T-Man 1066 (02-24-2023)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 5,725 Times in 2,050 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Inor View Post
    Periodically clients send me stuff to play with. About a year ago, one sent me this:

Attachment 21656

What is it? It is a small computer called Jetson Xavier created by Nvidia corporation primarily designed for controlling industrial robots. Why anybody thought I would be able to add anything to the conversation about it is beyond me since I know absolutely NOTHING about industrial robots. But it is cool as hell! It is an insanely powerful little computer (more powerful than my top of the line MacBook Pro) and since it is designed for industrial robots, its power requirements are EXTREMELY low. When I fire up all of the CPUs and the GPU it only consumes 30 watts and I can pare back the number of CPU cores all the way down to using only 10 watts!

But, like I said initially, I had no idea what I should do with it since I am not into industrial robots. So it has sat in a box on a shelf for the last year. The day before yesterday an idea for it hit me like a sledge hammer and since the weather has been too crappy to be outside doing stuff the last few days, I decided to start my new home automation project!

When we built M.T. Acres all of the appliances, the furnace, hot water heater, well pump, even the garage door opener are all "smart". We did not want "smart" appliances, but getting "dumb" appliances was just not an option for the models Mrs Inor wanted. So we paid for all this crap but never connected it to the internet to be "smart" because we did not want the manufacturers tracking our use patterns for it and even potentially controlling it.

But I got to thinking the Jetson would make a PERFECT "brain" for all of our "smart" appliances! So I got it set up with a Linux operating system and so far have the two freezers, well pump, furnace, hot water heater, kitchen refrigerator, garage door opener and Mrs Inor's weather station talking to it. So far, all I am doing is collecting data from each device on general usage statistics with absolutely NO information going out to the manufacturer.

I am going to let it collect data for a couple months on just normal daily usage and when each device turns on and off and how much power each uses and what time of day the power is used most frequently. After I have 2-3 months worth of data, I will use that to train a statistical model to optimize our electrical use. The Jetson has more than enough power to do deep learning models and reinforcement learning models as well as being able to reconfigure each appliance on the fly as it figures out the best way to minimize our electricity costs.

I am thinking this is going to be a project like my cryptocurrency experiments. It is going to take some time to get the pieces properly in place. But once they are, it should also have some significant payback like the crypto. Conservatively it should be able to reduce our electric bill by at least 10-15% once the model is well trained. It could be even more.
    Ya know what I got out of all that?
    You should name him George!
    That's it.

Joe

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to red442joe For This Useful Post:

hawgrider (02-24-2023),Inor (02-25-2023),Michael_Js (02-24-2023),Modfan (02-25-2023),Prepared One (03-04-2023)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 15,420 Times in 5,138 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by red442joe View Post
    Ya know what I got out of all that?
    You should name him George!
    That's it.

Joe
    LOLOLOL
    Now deferring to the judgement of horses ~ because Truth comes in 30 round bursts.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MountainGirl For This Useful Post:

Prepared One (03-04-2023),red442joe (02-24-2023)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    @Inor, that doesn't mean I don't appreciate what you share, that stuff was just over, (way)over my head.
    Thanks,
    Joe

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to red442joe For This Useful Post:

hawgrider (02-24-2023),Inor (02-25-2023)

@Inor, that doesn't mean I don't appreciate what you share, that stuff was just over, (way)over my head.
    Thanks,
    Joe
    Don't feel bad way way above my pay grade too.
    "The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath." W. C. Fields

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hawgrider For This Useful Post:

Inor (02-25-2023),red442joe (02-25-2023)

Little Miss Chatterbox

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 1,437 Times in 681 Posts
    Looks like a space alien contraption of some sort..hmmm. That may be the machine that does the sex tests when they transport the cute ladies up to the mother ship to run some experiments. Some saying rearranging their genes and sending them back to bed.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bigwheel For This Useful Post:

Inor (02-25-2023),Slippy (02-25-2023)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanks,
    Joe
    Not at all! My ideas are all over the map. By next week, I may discover fire or the wheel.

14. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Inor For This Useful Post:

Dwight55 (11-26-2023),hawgrider (02-25-2023),red442joe (02-25-2023),Slippy (02-25-2023),Sparkyprep (02-25-2023),StratBastard (02-25-2023)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 25,296 Times in 7,093 Posts
    Bigwheel may be on to something...

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Slippy For This Useful Post:

Inor (02-25-2023)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Big progress tonight! I have been spinning my wheels on this project for a few days and I finally got the breakthrough I was hoping for tonight! I do not yet have enough data to start training models yet, but I was finally able to get most of it set up the way I want for when I do.

The weather at M.T. Acres has also been very helpful the last couple weeks. We have had a wide variety of weather, some cold, some warm, so I have collected a bunch of sample data for a variety of situations.

Next is just a waiting game until I get enough data to actually start training models. In the meantime, I am going to experiment with building some basic modeling software so when I do get enough training data, I can start testing right away. Also, I may start experimenting with building software to fiddle with some of the settings on the freezers and the well.

I can already see where this will eventually save us some money on our electric bills!

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Inor For This Useful Post:

Broncosfan (03-04-2023),Sparkyprep (03-04-2023)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Inor View Post
    ...spinning my wheels...training models...warm...training models...basic modeling...training... fiddle...save us some money!
    I think I like where this is going!

Joe

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to red442joe For This Useful Post:

Inor (04-16-2023),MountainGirl (03-05-2023),Prepared One (03-04-2023)

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast