Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My thoughts on Precious Metals

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    I may be narrow minded about this but, brass and lead in the form of ammunition will be King of PM's!!! Just my opinion!!!
    Semper Fidelis - Saepius Exertus - Frater Infinitas

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Reptilicus For This Useful Post:

Innkeeper (03-02-2015),Jerry D Young (03-02-2015),Txwheels (03-02-2015)

Little Miss Chatterbox
    Thanks
    Try using that to pay your back property taxes - You will find that silver and gold have more value.
    ==============================
    live, work, love and be all you are meant to be.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pauls For This Useful Post:

Jerry D Young (03-06-2015),John Galt (01-23-2017)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Hmmmm....... I made my statement based on an assumption from previous post concerning this that there had been some type of SHTF, economic collapse, world in chaos, etc. etc. occurrence had taken place!!! In such a scenario I doubt very seriously that the Tax Assessors Office would be open for business as usual or that I would be occupied worrying about paying taxes for awhile!!!!
    Semper Fidelis - Saepius Exertus - Frater Infinitas

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Reptilicus For This Useful Post:

Jerry D Young (03-06-2015)

Little Miss Chatterbox
    Thanks
    That is why I said "back property taxes".... eventually the shit will disolve and become fertilizer for government. They are going to need money to pay for all the damage to the infrastructure and back property taxes will definately be a part of that.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Pauls For This Useful Post:

Jerry D Young (03-06-2015)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry D Young View Post
    Thank you very much! I do have responses to your points. So much of this subject is only going to be determined when something actually happens and people start using PMs (or refuse to use them).
    Ok, just to be totally blunt

ONLY the 1974 Kennedy half dollars are 40% silver.

Any mention that anything above 1965 coins over 90% silver is based upon a very limited run of "mint" half dollars which are very rare.

If you have any half dollars that are 1965+ they are junk metal, unless they have 1974 Kennedy half dollars and they are 40% silver.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Montana Rancher For This Useful Post:

Jerry D Young (03-07-2015)

Little Miss Chatterbox
    Thanks
    The problem with 'junk' silver coins is that they are stamped with a face value and not a silver content.

The government (when collecting taxes) will only use the face value and all of those who are ignorant will do the same. That is why I prefer bars and rounds. They are stamped with the silver content only.
    Gold coins are the same way - most are stamped with a face value. Those that are stamped with a gold content are always going to be worth more to the most people.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Pauls For This Useful Post:

Jerry D Young (01-22-2017)

Occasionally Replies Back Jerry D Young's Avatar

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Montana Rancher View Post
    Ok, just to be totally blunt

ONLY the 1974 Kennedy half dollars are 40% silver.

Any mention that anything above 1965 coins over 90% silver is based upon a very limited run of "mint" half dollars which are very rare.

If you have any half dollars that are 1965+ they are junk metal, unless they have 1974 Kennedy half dollars and they are 40% silver.
    I am sorry, but I believe you are mistaken. There are no 1974 silver content US half dollars at all. There were 1970 and 1976 40% silver composition proof and/or mint sets, but no silver content general issue in those years. There were, however, 40% total silver content general circulation coins that used a layered composition of 80% silver/20% copper in the outer layers and 20.9% silver/79.1% copper in the outer layers, producing the 40% total silver composition from 1965 through 1969. Please check some additional resources.

Just my opinion.
    Jerry D Young

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best, and always remember TANSTAAFL

(TANSTAAFL: There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch - Robert A. Heinlein)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thank you very much! I do have responses to your points. So much of this subject is only going to be determined when something actually happens and people start using PMs (or refuse to use them).
    Quote Originally Posted by Pauls View Post
    Try using that to pay your back property taxes - You will find that silver and gold have more value.
    I am sorry, but I believe you are mistaken. There are no 1974 silver content US half dollars at all. There were 1970 and 1976 40% silver composition proof and/or mint sets, but no silver content general issue in those years. There were, however, 40% total silver content general circulation coins that used a layered composition of 80% silver/20% copper in the outer layers and 20.9% silver/79.1% copper in the outer layers, producing the 40% total silver composition from 1965 through 1969. Please check some additional resources.

Just my opinion.
    Thank you for your update, you are correct, I usually use my memory for quoting facts but it fails me from time to time

http://www.coinflation.com/silver_coin_values.html

Here is the best source I have.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Montana Rancher For This Useful Post:

Ranks Showcase

Thanks

Just my opinion.
    BTW Robert Heinlien is my hero

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Montana Rancher For This Useful Post:

Occasionally Replies Back Jerry D Young's Avatar

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    I understand. Been there and done that, for sure.

I believe Heinlein is one of the least appreciated of the socio-political commentators of our time. Since his main venue was science fiction, he never got the credit he deserved for his analytical thinking on all things that affect the human race.

Just my opinion.
    Jerry D Young

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best, and always remember TANSTAAFL

(TANSTAAFL: There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch - Robert A. Heinlein)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast