Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2023?

Hybrid View

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 17,975 Times in 5,307 Posts

2023?

I'm late. Inventorying seeds.

Have a bunch of overwinter blueberries in pots for transplant.

Not started maters or peps yet, along with early frost tolerant stuff ( broc lettuce, cab,...)

You down south eatin yet?

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mad Trapper For This Useful Post:

BucketBack (03-26-2023),Inor (03-25-2023),Slippy (03-26-2023)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 3,490 Times in 963 Posts
    We are waiting another couple weeks just to make sure we don’t get a late freeze.
    We have blueberries bushes covered in flowers and tiny berries. The two nights below freezing last week didn’t kill them. Last year a late frost wiped out all three bushes.

My tractor is still at the dealership. Been there a week getting some modifications done on the loader arms so I can run attachments up front. When I get it back we will get busy tilling and planting.
    BoF

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Box of frogs For This Useful Post:

Inor (03-25-2023),Mad Trapper (03-25-2023),MountainGirl (03-26-2023),Slippy (03-26-2023),Sparkyprep (03-27-2023)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Box of frogs View Post
    We are waiting another couple weeks just to make sure we don’t get a late freeze.
    We have blueberries bushes covered in flowers and tiny berries. The two nights below freezing last week didn’t kill them. Last year a late frost wiped out all three bushes.

My tractor is still at the dealership. Been there a week getting some modifications done on the loader arms so I can run attachments up front. When I get it back we will get busy tilling and planting.
    BoF
    Where abouts in the woods you at? We got 2-3' snow last week. Zones 5-4a

Good luck on garden and tractor!

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 3,490 Times in 963 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad Trapper View Post
    Where abouts in the woods you at? We got 2-3' snow last week. Zones 5-4a

Good luck on garden and tractor!
    Zone 8a. West side of Georgia.
    April is a tricky month here. Sometimes your good sometimes you can get a snap freeze in the first couple of weeks

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Box of frogs For This Useful Post:

Mad Trapper (03-25-2023),Slippy (03-26-2023)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 4,168 Times in 965 Posts
    I’ve already started seeds for sweet peppers, broccoli, cauliflower, and tomatoes. All germinated already. I’m off to a good start here in PA.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Chiefster23 For This Useful Post:

Inor (03-25-2023),Mad Trapper (03-25-2023),MountainGirl (03-26-2023)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Chiefster23 View Post
    I’ve already started seeds for sweet peppers, broccoli, cauliflower, and tomatoes. All germinated already. I’m off to a good start here in PA.
    I wish all those were germinated now. GOOD JOB!! You in zone 5 ?

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Mad Trapper For This Useful Post:

Inor (03-25-2023)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 34,324 Times in 10,508 Posts
    The almonds have already flowered and lost their flowers and are growing like crazy. The cherries just got their leaves this week, no flowers yet. The apples are starting to leaf. Apricots, pears and pomegranates are just about to start budding. I will likely start turning the gardens this week but probably will not plant for a few weeks yet. When the snows melt in the mountains, we always get a few nights of cold winds in April.
    Admin for the most politically correct site on the web. Welcome to the OTP!

Follow our house build: http://www.mtacres.net/

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Inor For This Useful Post:

MountainGirl (03-26-2023)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 4,168 Times in 965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad Trapper View Post
    I wish all those were germinated now. GOOD JOB!! You in zone 5 ?
    Officially I’m in zone 6, but due to altitude I’m really in zone 5.

Everything else will either be direct seeded into the ground or I will be buying a few starts from the local greenhouse. I used to start many many more plants from seeds, but not so much any more. I was bound and determined to reduce the size and output from my garden this year (I’m turning 72), but due to the crazy situation in this country I will not be reducing much of anything. But buying some starter plants does cut down on the work.

I just finished repairing some winter damage to my raised beds, and I should be topping up the beds with mushroom mulch this coming week. Deer are a big problem here so everything has to be fenced or it becomes dinner for the white tails. I’m getting an additional roll of plastic deer fence for just-in-case I need to expand the garden due to a food collapse from the idiots in charge. I’m pre-purchasing everything I might need to grow additional food. It’s a damned shame that folks in their 70s have to be concerned about growing food in what used to be the richest country in the world. I’m too damned crippled up with arthritis to be digging new garden beds but I guess I will if necessary.
    Last edited by Chiefster23; 03-26-2023 at 03:58 AM.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chiefster23 For This Useful Post:

Mad Trapper (03-26-2023),MountainGirl (03-26-2023)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 15,463 Times in 5,153 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chiefster23 View Post
    Officially I’m in zone 6, but due to altitude I’m really in zone 5.

Everything else will either be direct seeded into the ground or I will be buying a few starts from the local greenhouse. I used to start many many more plants from seeds, but not so much any more. I was bound and determined to reduce the size and output from my garden this year (I’m turning 72), but due to the crazy situation in this country I will not be reducing much of anything. But buying some starter plants does cut down on the work.

I just finished repairing some winter damage to my raised beds, and I should be topping up the beds with mushroom mulch this coming week. Deer are a big problem here so everything has to be fenced or it becomes dinner for the white tails. I’m getting an additional roll of plastic deer fence for just-in-case I need to expand the garden due to a food collapse from the idiots in charge. I’m pre-purchasing everything I might need to grow additional food. It’s a damned shame that folks in their 70s have to be concerned about growing food in what used to be the richest country in the world. I’m too damned crippled up with arthritis to be digging new garden beds but I guess I will if necessary.
    We're picking up a few things too... that we might need later.

A month (?) back we had a cold event that we thought killed our only fruit (persimmon) tree... but then it warmed up into the 80s for a week and it put on leaves - then a week ago two more 30 degree nights bit all the leaves. Now... it's not looking so good. The 6 blackberry bushes I planted the day after that 30 degree night are doing okay...only getting down into the 50s overnight now - but it's still March so who knows.

We're in 9a - but I wont get anything less hardy than for 7b. Not interested in 'tropicals'. More interested in food.
    Now deferring to the judgement of horses ~ because Truth comes in 30 round bursts.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MountainGirl For This Useful Post:

Chiefster23 (03-26-2023),Prepared One (03-27-2023)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 33,452 Times in 14,854 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Should have started seeds last week. Monday looks like the day since we are still doing entertaining a young one
    Keep Your Head Up, And your Stick On The Ice.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast