Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Has Anyone Fixed Speaker Cone Tears ?

VIP Member! / Firearms expert SOCOM42's Avatar

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 8,646 Times in 2,330 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad Trapper View Post
    I really miss Radio Shack, ................rebuilt lots of old stuff.
    Yeah, I miss them too.

Even all the stores around where I lived that catered to the TV repair shops are gone, been gone now for 35+ years.

I use to go to those long before there was a Shack store anywhere around.

I use to buy from the original Radio Shack, from their mailed out catalogue from Chicago, like in 1954 and up.

I used parts from all those places to build my projects.

Built my first HF receiver from parts, no kits, had to cut all the chassis holes myself for tubes and such.

That was back in the 50s, got my ham ticket in 1957, went to the customs building in Boston for it.
    Last edited by SOCOM42; 04-23-2023 at 03:17 PM. Reason: grammar
    A STORM IS COMING! LET'S GO BRANDON!

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SOCOM42 For This Useful Post:

BucketBack (04-11-2023),Mad Trapper (04-10-2023),StratBastard (04-11-2023)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 17,860 Times in 5,281 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SOCOM42 View Post
    Yeah, I miss them too.

Even all the stores around where I lived that catered to the TV repair shops are gone, been gone now for 35+ years.

I use to buy from the original Radio Shack, from there mailed out catalogue from Chicago, like in 1954 and up.

Built my first HF receiver from parts, no kits, had to cut all the chassis holes myself for tubes and such.

That was back in the 50s, got my ham ticket in 1957, went to the customs building in Boston for it.
    Last project from RS was fixing my 1940 9N Ford's generator. 3 brush generator, no regulator, just a cutout to battery. All the new stuff is Chi-Com crap that burns up in ~1year. You can make one with a diode, that fits in original cutout can. Tractor is still 6V pos ground system.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9N wiring.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	75.5 KB 
ID:	22238

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mad Trapper For This Useful Post:

BucketBack (04-11-2023),SOCOM42 (04-11-2023),StratBastard (04-11-2023)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 48,605 Times in 13,797 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BucketBack View Post
    That's the newer looking style , that one is working since I plugged it in.

The other one looks older.
    Well, there is some more of them out there, depending on the model number (DXW15 as an example) if one is willing to wade through about 98% of them being aftermarket kits. If she sounds good with your planned repair completed, I say good to go. I had a repaired Jensen 10" in a little vintage 5 watt Supro amp, and of course the tone one wants from this amp is tube sag, and speaker distortion for that "brown sound" tone... so you dime it always. The Jensen did fine.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	full55.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	44.3 KB 
ID:	22245
    A.K.A. StratBastard
    "It can't be fixed."
    NRA Member
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFa4g5nQPss

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 17,860 Times in 5,281 Posts
    Strat, You'd have fit in good early days.

We had garage bands, that played weekends with HS girls and beer.

Some like you, graduated to playing good!

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mad Trapper For This Useful Post:

BucketBack (04-11-2023),StratBastard (04-11-2023)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad Trapper View Post
    Strat, You'd have fit in good early days.

We had garage bands, that played weekends with HS girls and beer.

Some like you, graduated to playing good!
    I was in a couple garage bands around 14 and 15 years old, good memories, great times, and the hard process of learning what sucks and what doesn't LOL. Had my first paid pro gig at 19, and by 23 we had an agent and were booked pretty solid and on the road. I had a threshold moment (more like an hour) when at 16 I went to the Portland Colosseum in 1974 to see Deep Purple. I stood right at Ritchie Blackmore's feet hoping to discover something... anything really. Because even though they were much much better than me at the time, I had some inkling of what the likes of Clapton or even Hendrix were doing... all of it blues scales in the pentatonic realm. And I could replicate it on a more basic scale. But Ritchie was a mystery. His playing (as I later learned) was a blend of the pentatonic and neo-classical, of which I had no clue whatsoever. He saw me right in front of him, and also saw I was watching his fretboard intensely. He did that thing he does onstage... kneeling down and tossing off a fantastic solo... three feet from my face and grinning at me. It was way over my head of course at the time, but I absorbed enough to work at it for the next few years. There are a small handful of days in every life where one has the opportunity to wake the fuck up. That was one of mine.
    A.K.A. StratBastard
    "It can't be fixed."
    NRA Member

9. The Following User Says Thank You to StratBastard For This Useful Post:

MountainGirl (04-12-2023)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Yeah, I miss them too.

I use to buy from the original Radio Shack, from there mailed out catalogue from Chicago, like in 1954 and up.

I still have an entire drawer of ancient Radio Shack stuff LOL. Always trying to run analog electronic stuff in a signal chain that don't really belong together. Male/male 1/4" adapters, Female/female adapters, 1/4" to RCA adapters, split signal stereo adapters, the list is endless. Some of the Frankenstein stuff I had going as a kid would make a modern studio tech tremble.
    A.K.A. StratBastard
    "It can't be fixed."
    NRA Member

11. The Following User Says Thank You to StratBastard For This Useful Post:

SOCOM42 (04-11-2023)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 33,353 Times in 14,819 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Well the speaker supplier showed up to check my work on the one CV, and said he had at least 7 more in storage.

I was buying plastic pallets for $40 to put my new to me shed on. She offered to give Bradley the shed for speaker payment.

Well the Mrs wound up selling the shed to him for $500 on payments,$250 down, $250 next month, I'm delivering the pallets to him, then taking my trailer to storage to pick up what I can.

Then what fits in the shed, fits, and what doesn't is target material.

We'll wind up with a DJ / Karaoke setup for $40, and I still have to move and setup the shed.
    Keep Your Head Up, And your Stick On The Ice.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to BucketBack For This Useful Post:

StratBastard (04-11-2023)

VIP Member! / Firearms expert SOCOM42's Avatar

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 8,646 Times in 2,330 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by StratBastard View Post
    I still have an entire drawer of ancient Radio Shack stuff LOL. Always trying to run analog electronic stuff in a signal chain that don't really belong together. Male/male 1/4" adapters, Female/female adapters, 1/4" to RCA adapters, split signal stereo adapters, the list is endless. Some of the Frankenstein stuff I had going as a kid would make a modern studio tech tremble.
    In more recent times, i have had to cobble together civilian and military connectors, endless combinations.

My stuff was for RF not much AF like you music guys.

Not related but an interesting item anyways, along time ago and far away,

I heard music in a room where there were no speakers at all!!!

It was in a transmitter room of a 15KW radio station, audio was brought in by wire from the studio 15 miles away.

What I was listening to was the plates in the Eimac final tubes oscillating!

It was the strangest thing, but beautiful at the same time.

I must have stood there mesmerized for a half hour listening to it.

I will take some pictures of my pile of connectors and post in a week or so.
    A STORM IS COMING! LET'S GO BRANDON!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to SOCOM42 For This Useful Post:

StratBastard (04-11-2023)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 5,725 Times in 2,050 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by StratBastard View Post
    I was in a couple garage bands around 14 and 15 years old, good memories, great times, and the hard process of learning what sucks and what doesn't LOL. Had my first paid pro gig at 19, and by 23 we had an agent and were booked pretty solid and on the road. I had a threshold moment (more like an hour) when at 16 I went to the Portland Colosseum in 1974 to see Deep Purple. I stood right at Ritchie Blackmore's feet hoping to discover something... anything really. Because even though they were much much better than me at the time, I had some inkling of what the likes of Clapton or even Hendrix were doing... all of it blues scales in the pentatonic realm. And I could replicate it on a more basic scale. But Ritchie was a mystery. His playing (as I later learned) was a blend of the pentatonic and neo-classical, of which I had no clue whatsoever. He saw me right in front of him, and also saw I was watching his fretboard intensely. He did that thing he does onstage... kneeling down and tossing off a fantastic solo... three feet from my face and grinning at me. It was way over my head of course at the time, but I absorbed enough to work at it for the next few years. There are a small handful of days in every life where one has the opportunity to wake the fuck up. That was one of mine.
    This is a great story!
    Thanks for sharing.

Joe

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to red442joe For This Useful Post:

BucketBack (04-11-2023),StratBastard (04-11-2023)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 5,725 Times in 2,050 Posts
    In more recent times, i have had to cobble together civilian and military connectors, endless combinations.

My stuff was for RF not much AF like you music guys.

Not related but an interesting item anyways, along time ago and far away,

I heard music in a room where there were no speakers at all!!!

It was in a transmitter room of a 15KW radio station, audio was brought in by wire from the studio 15 miles away.

What I was listening to was the plates in the Eimac final tubes oscillating!

It was the strangest thing, but beautiful at the same time.

I must have stood there mesmerized for a half hour listening to it.

I will take some pictures of my pile of connectors and post in a week or so.
    Yet another great story!

Joe

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to red442joe For This Useful Post:

BucketBack (04-11-2023),SOCOM42 (04-11-2023),StratBastard (04-11-2023)

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast