Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Has Anyone Fixed Speaker Cone Tears ?

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 17,881 Times in 5,286 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by StratBastard View Post
    I was in a couple garage bands around 14 and 15 years old, good memories, great times, and the hard process of learning what sucks and what doesn't LOL. Had my first paid pro gig at 19, and by 23 we had an agent and were booked pretty solid and on the road. I had a threshold moment (more like an hour) when at 16 I went to the Portland Colosseum in 1974 to see Deep Purple. I stood right at Ritchie Blackmore's feet hoping to discover something... anything really. Because even though they were much much better than me at the time, I had some inkling of what the likes of Clapton or even Hendrix were doing... all of it blues scales in the pentatonic realm. And I could replicate it on a more basic scale. But Ritchie was a mystery. His playing (as I later learned) was a blend of the pentatonic and neo-classical, of which I had no clue whatsoever. He saw me right in front of him, and also saw I was watching his fretboard intensely. He did that thing he does onstage... kneeling down and tossing off a fantastic solo... three feet from my face and grinning at me. It was way over my head of course at the time, but I absorbed enough to work at it for the next few years. There are a small handful of days in every life where one has the opportunity to wake the fuck up. That was one of mine.
    I saw Ritiche/Purple, he could not compare to SRV, none did.

LAST SRV I SAW , I felt sorry for J Beck, having to follow. They did an ecore"Going down" it smoked!!!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Mad Trapper For This Useful Post:

BucketBack (04-11-2023)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 33,372 Times in 14,825 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Bought 8 pallets , delivered 7

Had a Carver TFM 42 dropped off

https://reverb.com/item/55193357-car...same-as-tfm-45

The CV's are rated at 500 watts at 4 ohms, just like the Carver

Orderd this Pyle of mixer

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...DKIKX0DER&th=1
    Keep Your Head Up, And your Stick On The Ice.

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 48,657 Times in 13,807 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad Trapper View Post
    I saw Ritiche/Purple, he could not compare to SRV, none did.

LAST SRV I SAW , I felt sorry for J Beck, having to follow. They did an ecore"Going down" it smoked!!!

I couldn't get what I needed from SRV, because he never ever left the pentatonic/blues scale. And although he dialed that up to 11, and ended up being the very best at it (IMO), I already at least understood the underlying structure. Ritchie mixed the pentatonic with Bach, Beethoven, and Paganini, and it was a structure I didn't remotely understand at the time. He held the keys to that specific lock.

One of my favorite live shows of SRV was when he played with Jeff Healy. If I understand it correctly, SRV discovered Jeff and got him going.

A.K.A. StratBastard
    "It can't be fixed."
    NRA Member
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFa4g5nQPss

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to StratBastard For This Useful Post:

BucketBack (04-12-2023),Inor (04-11-2023),Prepared One (04-12-2023),Slippy (04-11-2023)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 17,881 Times in 5,286 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by StratBastard View Post
    I couldn't get what I needed from SRV, because he never ever left the pentatonic/blues scale. And although he dialed that up to 11, and ended up being the very best at it (IMO), I already at least understood the underlying structure. Ritchie mixed the pentatonic with Bach, Beethoven, and Paganini, and it was a structure I didn't remotely understand at the time. He held the keys to that specific lock.

One of my favorite live shows of SRV was when he played with Jeff Healy. If I understand it correctly, SRV discovered Jeff and got him going.

I got to see SRV with Jeff Healy, Saratoga Springs. Jeff came out for Stevie's encores. I think SRV did get Jeff recognition he deserved, I believe they met in Toronto

You know more about music/guitar than I ever will. Did you ever get to see Frank Zappa? I think he was trained in classical stuff. He did all kinds of crazy time keeping in his music and had great musicians in his bands.

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 48,657 Times in 13,807 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad Trapper View Post
    I got to see SRV with Jeff Healy, Saratoga Springs. Jeff came out for Stevie's encores. I think SRV did get Jeff recognition he deserved, I believe they met in Toronto

You know more about music/guitar than I ever will. Did you ever get to see Frank Zappa? I think he was trained in classical stuff. He did all kinds of crazy time keeping in his music and had great musicians in his bands.
    I was a Zappa fan, but never got to go to a concert. I have watched great live Zappa shows on Youtube. He could reproduce live very well I thought... not every guitarist does. And his music was his own unique style of fusion: when you hear Zappa, you know right away you're hearing Zappa LOL. His son Dweezil is a decent player as well.
    A.K.A. StratBastard
    "It can't be fixed."
    NRA Member
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFa4g5nQPss

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to StratBastard For This Useful Post:

BucketBack (04-13-2023),Mad Trapper (04-13-2023),Slippy (08-24-2023)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 13,339 Times in 4,829 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Just buy some new speakers. LOL.
    Friends don't let friends shoot Glocks.

Proud Deplorable

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sparkyprep For This Useful Post:

BucketBack (04-14-2023),Slippy (08-24-2023)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I'm a poor, so a free $1000 speakers system is cool, along with a $1500 amp, but it's a fun ride.

I can watch my boober as I'm setting up the shed.

I just spotted boats on trailers at the NoTell, so I'll use the access at Bridgeton, since the Steelhead can't swim upstream until the rains.

The Chrome is in.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BucketBack For This Useful Post:

Box of frogs (04-15-2023),Mad Trapper (04-15-2023)

New Kid on the Block
    Thanks
    SRV's vocal prowess resonates like thunder, while his guitar skills strike with the swiftness of lightning. Healey's guitar showers down a torrent of blues, a sight both delightful and uncommon: Stevie Ray wears a genuine smile onstage even in the presence of another headlining artist. During that era, Jimi Hendrix was often described as "magical," a sentiment that garnered SRV's respect. Yet, he himself was hailed as an unstoppable force, an unequivocal blues powerhouse!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to PeterBrodbeck For This Useful Post:

Slippy (08-24-2023)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    SRV was a Sea Ray Vee Hull, until Bobby and Stevie came around.

The Speaker still needs mending and is in the man cave now, finally.

VIP Member!

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 5,358 Times in 1,788 Posts
    Never done it, but, there are re-cone kits out there. Wish they had them way back when, my bud would blow my speakers ALL THE TIME!. So I fused them to blow at about 4 o'clock, didn't help, he'd just tin foiled the fuses. Big Advents that you weren't supposed to be able to blow.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast