Thread: Almost time to tap the maples. Then shortly afer the maples comes the birch.

Threaded View

Almost time to tap the maples. Then shortly afer the maples comes the birch.

Anybody here make there own syrup?

I don't have any maples but I do have birch. Not sure if we are going to tap this year or not yet. Its a long couple of weeks. It was a boiling nightmare but fun at the same time. I had to boil every nite after work for a little over 2 weeks. It took its toll on me towards the end but If you have never had birch syrup your in for a treat. The stuff is crazy expensive almost $300.00 per gallon last time I checked.

Like I said I'm not sure I'm up to the work this year as I have had terrible back issues since last august so we haven't decided yet. But I may dig out the pictures from 2 years ago to give you a look see.

I think its 40 gallons of maple sap to yield a gallon. And 100 gallons of birch sap to yield a gallon so you can see why both the maple and the birch syrup are so expensive.
    Last edited by hawgrider; 02-27-2015 at 08:37 AM. Reason: Corrected the numbers
    "The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath." W. C. Fields

2. The Following User Says Thank You to hawgrider For This Useful Post:

Baglady (01-26-2016)