Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lemons

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 34,019 Times in 10,450 Posts

Lemons

I have never lived anywhere that citrus grows so I have absolutely no knowledge about it. But I have been to California many times and seen lemon and lime groves. The lemon trees are about the same size as apple and pear trees back home. That is, they are usually around 15-20 feet tall and planted in the ground. In the courtyard of my hotel this week I noticed about 10 of these:

Attachment 1212

I do not know if you can really get a sense for the size from the photo, but the pots these are planted in are about 3 feet tall. The lemon trees are only about 2-3 feet above the pot at the tallest point. In other words, the lemon trees are smaller than tomato plants. The "trunks" on these plants are less than an inch in diameter. They actually had to stake it up to hold the weight of the lemons! On the plant in the picture, I counted 22 lemons in various stages of growth and the lemons that were ready to be picked were about the same size as the lemons in the grocery store.

So my question is: Are these some kind of special mutant hybrid lemon tree that is designed to be really small and produce a buttload of lemons? And if you can grow them in pots, could us northlanders also grow them and just bring the pots inside in the winter?

I mean how cool would that be if SHTF? The mobs are rioting for food and Mrs Inor and I are sitting on the back deck with our M4geries across our laps drinking fresh-squeezed lemonade from our own lemon tree.
    Last edited by Inor; 02-26-2015 at 12:11 AM.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Inor For This Useful Post:

Arklatex (02-26-2015),Coppertop (02-26-2015),hawgrider (02-26-2015),Slippy (02-26-2015)

I'm guessing its a dwarf variety but that's only a guess. Pretty impressive though for a little tyke.
    "The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath." W. C. Fields

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 8,673 Times in 3,616 Posts
    Yes you can get them. There are also dwarf pear, peach, orange, lime and I think apple as well. I haven't tried them yet but I want to. I'll find you a link.

Ranks Showcase

Thanks

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Arklatex For This Useful Post:

hawgrider (02-26-2015),Inor (02-26-2015)

I noticed they say Zones 9 & 10
    I wonder if they could be brought inside for the ugly stuff us in the north deal with.

"The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath." W. C. Fields

8. The Following User Says Thank You to hawgrider For This Useful Post:

Inor (02-26-2015)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 34,019 Times in 10,450 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hawgrider View Post
    I noticed they say Zones 9 & 10
    I wonder if they could be brought inside for the ugly stuff us in the north deal with.
    That is what I am thinking. They are so small it would not be any different than any other houseplant in the winter. I am guessing they would not get enough sun to produce fruit in the winter. But if you could keep them alive, I bet they would LOVE the longer days in the summer. Hmmm...

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    I think yall are correct. They are not very expensive anyway so we should all give it a try. Another great thing prepper wise is that it is a delicious source of vitamin c to keep us healthy and ward off scurvy. It would also be worth it's weight in gold as a barter item. Especially up north where most of yall are.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Arklatex For This Useful Post:

hawgrider (02-26-2015)

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Arklatex For This Useful Post:

hawgrider (02-26-2015)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 2,877 Times in 1,350 Posts
    In zone 4.where us northerners are,they would probably do best in a hothouse.look at florida now,the citrus capital of the US. a few days of freezing weather and zilch,there goes the crop.other than California right now,no water.used to live in the central valley of Cal.when there was even going to be a simple frost,the farmers were out with their smudge pots and big fans to keep everything warm.it was a free for all at the co-ops getting heaters and etc.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to MI.oldguy For This Useful Post:

hawgrider (02-26-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by MI.oldguy View Post
    In zone 4.where us northerners are,they would probably do best in a hothouse.look at florida now,the citrus capital of the US. a few days of freezing weather and zilch,there goes the crop.other than California right now,no water.used to live in the central valley of Cal.when there was even going to be a simple frost,the farmers were out with their smudge pots and big fans to keep everything warm.it was a free for all at the co-ops getting heaters and etc.
    You sir have a very short growing season up there in God's Country! Id love to have a nice big green house with all the fixens. I am In zone 5

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast