Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Tractor Time!

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Trapper View Post
    That's a late 8N w/side mount distributor and genny on left side (50-52?), not an NAA (53-up), they are painted the same and look a lot alike ,some parts interchange. NAA has exhaust/intake on other side and a OHV 4-cyl not a flat head.

I've been helping my cousin rebuild his NAA/Jubi, was his Dad's too. Blew a head gasket and we had a machine shop R + R the head, have all the parts now just need to get it together.

I've had a 1940 9N for many years, just got a 52 Fergy TO-20 w/TO-30 engine. Taught myself how to fix/work on all of them. Most things that need fixin can be done with the tools that fit in the lunchbox size toolboxes they have.

I have PDF service/parts manuals for the Fords and the Fergy. PM me if you need them for the NAA.

9N

Attachment 24356

TO-20

Attachment 24357
    Agreed, my bad. Also noticed the hinged hood on a NA / Jubilee goes the whole length, not just the first third...
    Politicians can kiss my ass!!!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to T-Man 1066 For This Useful Post:

Mad Trapper (08-14-2023)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 13,297 Times in 4,820 Posts
    Blog Entries
    My place is 1/2 forested and I have a portable sawmill. When I saw your new beauty I thought that would be the cat's ass to have here with a grapple and a snow plow.

My grandfather did it the hard way too. Actual picture of him and the 4-hoof drive tractor!

Attachment 24358
    When men were men. Lots of respect.
    Friends don't let friends shoot Glocks.

Proud Deplorable

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sparkyprep For This Useful Post:

Mad Trapper (08-14-2023),Michael_Js (08-14-2023)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 17,632 Times in 5,229 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by T-Man 1066 View Post
    Agreed, my bad. Also noticed the hinged hood on a NA / Jubilee goes the whole length, not just the first third...
    People get the Ns mixed up all the time. A 9N is close to identical to 2N, the 8N a little different and they changed some things on those last few years.

Then there are the Franken Ns, that have mix and match parts........

People get the Ns mixed up all the time. A 9N is close to identical to 2N, the 8N a little different and they changed some things on those last few years.

Then there are the Franken Ns, that have mix and match parts........
    I have always been a Farmall guy, and still have a '50 "C", the Ford is a more useful tractor, except the C can turn on a end row tighter, narrow front and all. Plus 31 HP vs 18 HP helps as well. I did have a retrofit 3 point on my C, didn't have the power to run a 5' bush hog in deep grass like the Jubilee did.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to T-Man 1066 For This Useful Post:

Mad Trapper (08-14-2023)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    I have always been a Farmall guy, and still have a '50 "C", the Ford is a more useful tractor, except the C can turn on a end row tighter, narrow front and all. Plus 31 HP vs 18 HP helps as well. I did have a retrofit 3 point on my C, didn't have the power to run a 5' bush hog in deep grass like the Jubilee did.
    Years back I rented from a guy who had a narrow front H. I used to work on it for him for $$$ off on rent. It's still running as far as I know.

Last summer a long running country agricultural fair had antique tractor show. Was a lot of restored Internationals there.

I'll leave it there as already hijacked Sparky's thread

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1 tractors.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	20.1 KB 
ID:	24372

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mad Trapper For This Useful Post:

Big Ken (08-15-2023),Michael_Js (08-14-2023)

Years back I rented from a guy who had a narrow front H. I used to work on it for him for $$$ off on rent. It's still running as far as I know.

Last summer a long running country agricultural fair had antique tractor show. Was a lot of restored Internationals there.

I'll leave it there as already hijacked Sparky's thread

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1 tractors.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	20.1 KB 
ID:	24372
    Yep, guilty on the hijack, sorry Sparky!

While I am on the subject, Farmall, B, C, H, 560, 706 gas, 1066, Ford Jubilee, 861 Powermaster, Gleaner K, Gleaner R60, JD 420C trackloader, Hydramac 1850 Skiddy, and probably 18-20 Cub Cadets, all sorts.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to T-Man 1066 For This Useful Post:

Big Ken (08-15-2023)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 13,297 Times in 4,820 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Yep, guilty on the hijack, sorry Sparky!

While I am on the subject, Farmall, B, C, H, 560, 706 gas, 1066, Ford Jubilee, 861 Powermaster, Gleaner K, Gleaner R60, JD 420C trackloader, Hydramac 1850 Skiddy, and probably 18-20 Cub Cadets, all sorts.
    No worries. Thread hijacking is encouraged here. I love the old tractor pics. Plus, it keeps things interesting.
    Friends don't let friends shoot Glocks.

Proud Deplorable

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sparkyprep For This Useful Post:

Big Ken (08-15-2023),Mad Trapper (08-15-2023),Michael_Js (08-15-2023),T-Man 1066 (08-15-2023)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 7,610 Times in 2,278 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparkyprep View Post
    No worries. Thread hijacking is encouraged here. I love the old tractor pics. Plus, it keeps things interesting.
    I think I started it, I'll never have a nice one like yous but those oldies are always a possibility.
    dramey82

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Big Ken For This Useful Post:

Mad Trapper (08-15-2023),Michael_Js (08-15-2023)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Ken View Post
    I think I started it, I'll never have a nice one like yous but those oldies are always a possibility.
    Keep on looking. There's lots out there in decent condition that go cheap, sometimes with implements. I like Ford Ns/NAA and Fergusons. Very easy to work on, but have limitations compared to newer tractors. Can still find good runners for $1000-3000.

I got my 9N in the 1980s with : tire chains, back blade, 2-bottom plow, scoopbucket, spring harrow, had good tires all around. Owner was selling because it was fouling plugs and he thought motor needed a rebuild. Got all of it for $1200

It had been a bit neglected on maintenance. Oil bath air filter had 2" of water at the bottom, raising oil so it got sucked in the carb. I caught up on all the neglect and it ran fine. Motor still runs fine, by the time oil is down a quart it's time to change it.

I have replaced a lot of the 80 year old stuff, genny/starter rebuilt, exhaust manifold, rebuilt carb, replaced wiring and fixed lights,..... only had to go into the distributor once so far coil went bad so I took it all apart and replaced what was needed with quality parts, not Chi-Com shit. I was surprised when I looked at the points, they were OEM Ford with Ford logo, no wonder they lasted so long. It's still a 6V positive ground system. If you get an old one always better to R + R original parts than buy new junk.

New project is the Ferguson TO-20. It had been sitting and I'm in process of getting it going soon. Got from neighbors father who had rebuilt it years back combing a good TO-30 engine into a good TO-20 chassis. From looks pretty good condition, paid $500.

Fuel system was gunked from sitting with E10 in it, and some mud wasps got inside the distributor. I've R +R ed the distributor and static timed it, the carb/gas tank has been cleaned and put a new sediment bowl/fuel line on it. I have to finish putting the carb together and install to get it going.

I'll post a new thread with pics on that when it's running.

Keep on looking. There's lots out there in decent condition that go cheap, sometimes with implements. I like Ford Ns/NAA and Fergusons. Very easy to work on, but have limitations compared to newer tractors. Can still find good runners for $1000-3000.

I got my 9N in the 1980s with : tire chains, back blade, 2-bottom plow, scoopbucket, spring harrow, had good tires all around. Owner was selling because it was fouling plugs and he thought motor needed a rebuild. Got all of it for $1200

It had been a bit neglected on maintenance. Oil bath air filter had 2" of water at the bottom, raising oil so it got sucked in the carb. I caught up on all the neglect and it ran fine. Motor still runs fine, by the time oil is down a quart it's time to change it.

I have replaced a lot of the 80 year old stuff, genny/starter rebuilt, exhaust manifold, rebuilt carb, replaced wiring and fixed lights,..... only had to go into the distributor once so far coil went bad so I took it all apart and replaced what was needed with quality parts, not Chi-Com shit. I was surprised when I looked at the points, they were OEM Ford with Ford logo, no wonder they lasted so long. It's still a 6V positive ground system. If you get an old one always better to R + R original parts than buy new junk.

New project is the Ferguson TO-20. It had been sitting and I'm in process of getting it going soon. Got from neighbors father who had rebuilt it years back combing a good TO-30 engine into a good TO-20 chassis. From looks pretty good condition, paid $500.

Fuel system was gunked from sitting with E10 in it, and some mud wasps got inside the distributor. I've R +R ed the distributor and static timed it, the carb/gas tank has been cleaned and put a new sediment bowl/fuel line on it. I have to finish putting the carb together and install to get it going.

I'll post a new thread with pics on that when it's running.
    Alot of times the top bushing in the distributor wallers out. There is a Gitz-style oil cup on the side, but sometimes they get broke off, or neglected for sure. No lube, no last...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast