Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Thread: Every Man Should Carry a Pocket Knife

Quote Originally Posted by Arklatex View Post
    Pretty sure I found it. 1888 mk 1 pattern British bayonet

https://www.google.com/search?q=1888...iw=360&bih=560

Nice catch sure looks like it. Thanks Ark it gives me a good place to start.
    Last edited by hawgrider; 08-01-2016 at 07:05 AM.
    "The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath." W. C. Fields

2. The Following User Says Thank You to hawgrider For This Useful Post:

RubberDuck (09-23-2016)

Review: Great Eastern Cutlery Small Jack #25

In the 80s and early 90s a veritable legion of American cutlery companies died out. They were making traditional patterns when Spyderco and Benchmade and KAI USA were booming. Their two handed knives with the same old same old steels weren’t selling well. Sure, Case, with its perpetual fan base, and Queen were surviving, but many companies died or more accurately were zombified remains of what they once were. Schrade, United Cutlery, and many others, facing extinction, sold their intellectual property and their name to an overseas company and shut down their American plants. These knives, into the future, would be made overseas.

This wiped a lot of the old guard, centered around upstate New York and Pennsylvania, specificially Titusville. There were a lot of companies gone,
    http://www.alloutdoor.com/2016/09/22...small-jack-25/
    "The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath." W. C. Fields

4. The Following User Says Thank You to hawgrider For This Useful Post:

RubberDuck (09-23-2016)

Don't get too close, I bite! DerBiermeister's Avatar

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 6,617 Times in 2,513 Posts

Unusual uses for a pocket knife

Yesterday, we had an early dinner at a Chinese restaurant. My wife couldn't open her fortune cookie. She gave it to me. I couldn't get the damn thing opened either. Out came the pocket knife ........... ain't life great?
    “Keep your scope up and we’ll shoot that SOB down the throat” -- Dudley "Mush" Morton, USS Wahoo
    "Hit hard, hit fast, hit often" -- Adm William "Bull" Halsey

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DerBiermeister For This Useful Post:

hawgrider (09-23-2016),RubberDuck (09-23-2016),Sparkyprep (10-05-2016)

I'm obsessed with small pocket knives lately. Probably because it takes me back to my youth.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hawgrider For This Useful Post:

Arklatex (10-05-2016),DerBiermeister (09-23-2016),RubberDuck (09-23-2016)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by hawgrider View Post
    I'm obsessed with small pocket knives lately. Probably because it takes me back to my youth.
    I used to be a master at Mumbly Peg.

If you say the same .......... then we should have a shootout!

But first, I'd have to go get me a good Mumbly Peg knife. They have to be almost made for it, in balance, etc.

Speaking of which -- this is an art I need to teach my 11 yr old grandson. My DIL will ban me from the house for sure.
    Last edited by DerBiermeister; 09-23-2016 at 10:36 AM.
    “Keep your scope up and we’ll shoot that SOB down the throat” -- Dudley "Mush" Morton, USS Wahoo

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DerBiermeister For This Useful Post:

hawgrider (09-23-2016),RubberDuck (09-23-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by DerBiermeister View Post
    I used to be a master at Mumbly Peg.

If you say the same .......... then we should have a shootout!

But first, I'd have to go get me a good Mumbly Peg knife. They have to be almost made for it, in balance, etc.

Speaking of which -- this is an art I need to teach my 11 yr old grandson. My DIL will ban me from the house for sure.
    Yes we played as kids and young adults. Im sure they would call protective services on a parent for teaching there kids that game today though...

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hawgrider For This Useful Post:

DerBiermeister (09-23-2016),RubberDuck (09-23-2016)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Two things I vividly remember ----------- always looking for the perfect patch of soil

and always arguing over the rules

LOL

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DerBiermeister For This Useful Post:

hawgrider (09-23-2016),RubberDuck (09-23-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by DerBiermeister View Post
    Two things I vividly remember ----------- always looking for the perfect patch of soil

and always arguing over the rules

LOL

16. The Following User Says Thank You to hawgrider For This Useful Post:

RubberDuck (09-23-2016)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 8,673 Times in 3,616 Posts
    Got 2 new folders for the collection.

Victorinox Farmer and the Opinel #8 stainless

I wanted the Farmer for a long time as an addition to my bushcraft kit. Should be a real winner in that category. Made in Switzerland.

I've heard lots of good stuff about Opinel. The design is from the late 1800's and it locks open/closed with a twist of the collar. Scary sharp outta the box. Nice wooden handle. And inexpensive. The stainless is $15 on amazon. They make a carbon steel version for $13. Made in Inor's favorite country: France. Very impressed.

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Arklatex For This Useful Post:

hawgrider (10-05-2016),Inor (10-05-2016),RubberDuck (10-05-2016)

Nice Ark I like them both!

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hawgrider For This Useful Post:

Arklatex (10-05-2016),RubberDuck (10-06-2016)

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast