Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking for advice on a new truck.

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 13,135 Times in 4,781 Posts
    Blog Entries

Looking for advice on a new truck.

Ok, as many of you know, I have been considering the purchase of a new truck. My old S-10 Blazer is getting pretty long in the tooth. My question is, do any of you own a new 2015 Chevy Colorado, or do you know anyone who does? I'm looking for some first hand, unbiased opinions of this truck. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

P.S. I'm looking at a 4X4, Z-71 extended cab model with a V6. $34,000

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 6,450 Times in 2,487 Posts
    Screw that buy a year or two older for less than 25K

3. The Following User Says Thank You to OSFG For This Useful Post:

Inor (04-12-2015)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 34,019 Times in 10,450 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Old SF Guy View Post
    Screw that buy a year or two older for less than 25K
    That is the best advice there is. I ALWAYS buy a 1-2 year old truck with low miles, in good shape and has some warranty left. I REFUSE to pay the prices they want for new now!

Little Miss Chatterbox
    Thanks
    Get a Toyota. (this coming from a Ford guy)
    Toyota is the only full size truck that does not have "known" problems that the companies ignore.
    Ford hasn't made a good auto transmission since the C4 and C6, Chrysler is having problems with their transmissions and engine management system and Chevy boasts about their power and economy but they can't make anything that holds up.
    If you get an "American" (they aren't made in America anymore) made brand at least get the manual transmission and the larger clutch that comes with the towing packages.
    ==============================
    live, work, love and be all you are meant to be.

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 6,450 Times in 2,487 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pauls View Post
    Get a Toyota. (this coming from a Ford guy)
    Toyota is the only full size truck that does not have "known" problems that the companies ignore.
    Ford hasn't made a good auto transmission since the C4 and C6, Chrysler is having problems with their transmissions and engine management system and Chevy boasts about their power and economy but they can't make anything that holds up.
    If you get an "American" (they aren't made in America anymore) made brand at least get the manual transmission and the larger clutch that comes with the towing packages.
    Let me add that the Toyota Tacoma's we used in the early days of Afganistan....they kicked ass.....awesome vehicles.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to OSFG For This Useful Post:

Arklatex (04-13-2015)

VIP Member!

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 14,259 Times in 5,904 Posts
    I have a 2007 Toyota Tundra that I bought after my neighbor's 3 year lease expired. It had low miles & I got it for well under $25k. Got it in 2010, not a problem with it. I did replace the tires...and that's it. Toyota's are good trucks, built here in the states. Ford & Chevy use Mexico & Canada for most parts. GM's have a bad reputation for electrical problems and I just saw a Ford F-150 in my friend's shop with the V-6 ecoboost engine, 45,000 miles and needs both turbos replaced. Good thing the guy had the extended warranty. A good idea to get the extended warranty if you buy a Ford or GM product. Don't know about the ram's. The 3/4 ton with the Cummins is supposed to be great, and it should be too...for over $50K.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to shootbrownelk For This Useful Post:

Arklatex (04-13-2015)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    My main vehicle is a 1996 Toyota Tacoma 4x4. It has 360K miles. The starter and the clutch finally gave out on it. I got after market parts put on to replace it and its going again. Toyota trucks are good trucks, I always wanted an american truck but nothing out there would last longer than 120k miles so for now I guess I will be stuck with Toyotas.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mhans For This Useful Post:

Arklatex (04-13-2015),shootbrownelk (04-13-2015)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 8,673 Times in 3,616 Posts
    02 Tacoma here. 225k on it. Very little work done to it other than PM. Just wear and tear like tires, brakes, sparkplugs, filters, etc. It's been a great truck and was built in Ohio. I am not sure about the newer ones though.

I also want a new one though. I'm working on my credit first. I disagree with Paul about the Fords. The new ones are great. Older ford's suck.

I know 2 guys with Colorados. No complaints so far other than the price they paid. I have heard they, along with most other new chevys, have electrical issues. But you're a electrician so...

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Arklatex For This Useful Post:

Sparkyprep (04-13-2015)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    I knew a guy with the five cylinder truck but I can't tell you much. I agree and wouldn't buy brand new unless its cheaper to buy new with rebates and such.
    What's the difference between a crackhead and a tweaker?
    The crackhead will steal your shit and bounce--the tweaker will steal your shit and then help you look for it.

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 13,135 Times in 4,781 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The new one is completely different from the old 5 cylinders. This has got the same V6 as a Camaro.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast