Thread: Starting a garden

Enthusiast

Ranks Showcase

Thanks

Starting a garden

I know it's late in the year but we'd like to get one ready for next year. Since we have a few months free now, I'd like to start getting it ready before the cold arrives.
    We've never had a garden in our current home (I've never had one period), it's much to shady, but next to our neighbors is a large open green space that can't be built on. I've spoken with the neighbors, elderly spry holocaust survivors, and together we'd like to put in a edible garden. We've worked it out where my husband and I will get it ready and do all the hard labor, including planting. The neighbors will tend to it during the late spring thru mid summer when I'm the busiest, and we'll split what we get out of it.

There is enough space for a 40x40 large bed or two smaller 20x20 beds. There is about an acre to play with, but we don't want to get crazy on our first garden.

I don't know what to do to get one started. I know we have to get the sod out of the way but that's where my knowledge ends. What do I need to do?

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 2,685 Times in 1,171 Posts
    Blog Entries
    remove sod, till in something to loosen the soil cow poop works good, maybe add a cover crop. If you know what you are planting test the soil PH to make sure its right.
    Admin for the BEST gun site on the web! WELCOME TO THE OTP!

Enthusiast

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RWalls View Post
    remove sod, till in something to loosen the soil cow poop works good, maybe add a cover crop. If you know what you are planting test the soil PH to make sure its right.
    I'll have hubs grab some test strips. We don't know what we want to plant yet but I have a few buckets of various heirloom seeds that I received as a gift. Everything from celery to squash. We have a pretty big variety to choose from.
    What would a cover crop be?

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 8,673 Times in 3,616 Posts
    Is this a long term field? If so yall could plant some berries, fruit and nut trees and perennial herbs along the edges. Then use the middle to plant whatever else you decide on. You will need to either rent or buy a tiller to break up the ground. Another option is to find someone with a tractor to do it for you. We did this at my place and have blackberries, pecans, plums, black walnut and some herbs that requires very little work in exchange for great yields.

Enthusiast

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Arklatex View Post
    Is this a long term field? If so yall could plant some berries, fruit and nut trees and perennial herbs along the edges. Then use the middle to plant whatever else you decide on. You will need to either rent or buy a tiller to break up the ground. Another option is to find someone with a tractor to do it for you. We did this at my place and have blackberries, pecans, plums, black walnut and some herbs that requires very little work in exchange for great yields.
    Not long term. Well be here maybe another 7 years, tops. We have a place is Missouri we'll be retiring too. So this is until then.

Little Miss Chatterbox
    Thanks
    In the fall you can plant onions and garlic - they need the cold to work well. A cover crop is anything that keeps the soil moist and in place - get something that pulls up easily.
    ==============================
    live, work, love and be all you are meant to be.

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 2,685 Times in 1,171 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Cover crops help in suppressing weeds, soil diseases and pests. They protect soil from runoff and can help add organic matter to soil. Aids in breaking up hardpan and can also help fix nitrogen deficiency.
    Admin for the BEST gun site on the web! WELCOME TO THE OTP!

Found my way back to the barn. Baglady's Avatar

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 4,163 Times in 1,868 Posts
    Legumes are a beneficial cover crop because after you harvest your peas, or beans, you till the foilage of said Legumes into the soil. This enriches the soil. You will have to have a rototiller regardless if you get someone to till it up with a tractor.
    This time of year, after tilling the ground, you can rake leaves and add to your ground, and till those in too.
    Anyhow, while you could plant some cold weather crops, you want to get your soil ready for spring.
    Cow manure, as RWalls said is great too. Do not use chicken manure where you plant tomato's, this causes too much potassium...or is it nitrogen..can't remember...Also read up on what kind of fertilizers you will use for different crops. A 5-20-20 is best for Tomato's, while a 10-20-10 is best for potatoes.
    You'll probably want some sweet corn. We use triple 13 for that, and some crops like corn you will "side dress" with additional fertilizer later in it's growth.
    Being cremated...my last chance for a SMOKING HOT BODY!!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Baglady For This Useful Post:

Arklatex (07-25-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by Baglady View Post
    Legumes are a beneficial cover crop because after you harvest your peas, or beans, you till the foilage of said Legumes into the soil. This enriches the soil. You will have to have a rototiller regardless if you get someone to till it up with a tractor.
    This time of year, after tilling the ground, you can rake leaves and add to your ground, and till those in too.
    Anyhow, while you could plant some cold weather crops, you want to get your soil ready for spring.
    Cow manure, as RWalls said is great too. Do not use chicken manure where you plant tomato's, this causes too much potassium...or is it nitrogen..can't remember...Also read up on what kind of fertilizers you will use for different crops. A 5-20-20 is best for Tomato's, while a 10-20-10 is best for potatoes.
    You'll probably want some sweet corn. We use triple 13 for that, and some crops like corn you will "side dress" with additional fertilizer later in it's growth.
    Chickin poo is "Hot" its a good fertilizer but must be composted with other mulch first. Very high in nitrogen, potassium and phosphorus. It will burn your veggies if used by itself.
    "The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath." W. C. Fields

11. The Following User Says Thank You to hawgrider For This Useful Post:

Baglady (07-25-2015)