Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ark's homemade pickled okra

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 8,673 Times in 3,616 Posts

Ark's homemade pickled okra

This year I had extra okra from the garden. So I decided to try something I've never done before, making my own pickled okra. I have always loved the stuff anyway. Since I've never done this before with okra I consulted the Ball complete home preserving book. I do have experience making some bread and butter pickles that are so good you'll slap ya momma to get more, so I'm not new to pickling all together... I had enough okra left to do 4 quarts. So I tried different variations of the recipe. 1 quart following the actual recipe. 1 quart with extra dill seeds, 1 quart of spicy, and one quart with extra garlic.

Here is the basic procedure to get four quarts:

6 cups of water.
    6 cups White vinegar
    2/3 cup pickling/canning salt
    4 tsp dill seeds
    8 cloves garlic

Step 1: prep jars, canner and lids

Step 2: combine water, salt, vinegar and dill seeds in a big pot. Bring to a boil and stir to disolve salt.

Step 3: pack okra into hot jars with 2 cloves of garlic in each one. Ladle the hot liquid into the jars till you have 1/2 inch headspace. (One of those funnels specifically for canning really helps here) Stir em around to remove air bubbles and adjust headspace if necessary. Wipe rim and put the lids on finger tight.

Step 3: Put them in the canner and bring to a boil. Process for 15 minutes. Turn the heat off and let the canner depressurize. Remove jars, let them cool and store.

Here is my 4 quarts.

Attachment 1756

My variations were in one jar I added an extra pinch of dill seeds. In another I added 2 sliced and seeded Serano peppers. In another jar I added an extra clove of garlic.

They've been setting for 3 days now and I opened the dill jar to try em out. They are excellent! I'm kinda proud of myself that they turned out so good on my first try. We will gobble these up then I'm gonna try the hot ones next. I'll update the for a report.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Arklatex For This Useful Post:

hawgrider (10-14-2015)

Looks good Ark. What would you compare the Okra too? Ive don't think Ive ever had Okra.
    "The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath." W. C. Fields

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by hawgrider View Post
    Looks good Ark. What would you compare the Okra too? Ive don't think Ive ever had Okra.
    You've never had okra? Or you've never had pickled okra?

Quote Originally Posted by Arklatex View Post
    You've never had okra? Or you've never had pickled okra?
    Never had Okra. Had collard greens but no okra.
    "The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath." W. C. Fields

6. The Following User Says Thank You to hawgrider For This Useful Post:

Arklatex (10-14-2015)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by hawgrider View Post
    Never had Okra. Had collard greens but no okra.
    Wow that's surprising. I guess it's a southern thing? It's really good battered and fried as a side for fried fish or chicken. It's one of the main things in cajun gumbo. I'm not real sure what I could compare it to, it's kind of in a league of its own. Maybe someone else can help me out here? Some folks love it and some folks hate it. If you want I'll see if I can find some way to package a sample and send it to you if you'd like to try it.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Arklatex For This Useful Post:

hawgrider (10-14-2015)

Wow that's surprising. I guess it's a southern thing? It's really good battered and fried as a side for fried fish or chicken. It's one of the main things in cajun gumbo. I'm not real sure what I could compare it to, it's kind of in a league of its own. Maybe someone else can help me out here? Some folks love it and some folks hate it. If you want I'll see if I can find some way to package a sample and send it to you if you'd like to try it.
    Ive heard of it for sure but yes it must be a southern thing. Surprised my ole lady hasn't plated some of that up to try. She even make collared greens taste pretty good Which I didn't think was ever possible. Ill have to tell her to get some so I can try it.

Something new we just ran into new to us anyway is the diacon radish. The farm country I hunt the farmer has started panting them to Replenish the nutrients in the ground. They don't harvest them they just till them under and use it as ground cover to hold the soil after the planting season. We picked some last weekend and carved them up to put on a salad They are very good. Very mild compared to red radish.
    we are thinking of pickling some of these for fun.

here is what they look like-
    Last edited by hawgrider; 10-14-2015 at 11:13 AM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to hawgrider For This Useful Post:

Arklatex (10-14-2015)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Now there's something I've never considered. Pickled raddish... hmm, may have to give that one a try!

I have heard of Daikon raddish but never tried it. I have been growing a variety know as cherry bombs. They are good but a lil on the spicy/bitter side if you don't pull them up early.

Now there's something I've never considered. Pickled raddish... hmm, may have to give that one a try!

I have heard of Daikon raddish but never tried it. I have been growing a variety know as cherry bombs. They are good but a lil on the spicy/bitter side if you don't pull them up early.
    Yeah the cherry belle's radish are my favorites they're not too hot. These diacon are pretty new to me There are insanely mild almost too mild. Different for sure. My son inlaw found a recipe for pickled radish the other day I'm gonna let him be the guinea pig and try them

So back to the Okra do they crunch like a pickle?
    Last edited by hawgrider; 10-14-2015 at 11:26 AM.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to hawgrider For This Useful Post:

Arklatex (10-14-2015)

Site Addict

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    You bet they do. If they are done right. I love pickled okra. It is one of the few thing that when I open the jar I can't stop myself from eating it all. I just don't know if I could trust a man that doesn't like pickled okra.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to S.....P...... For This Useful Post:

Arklatex (10-14-2015),hawgrider (10-14-2015)

I Never Log Off!

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 4,573 Times in 2,015 Posts
    Hmmm, I love pickled okra, hot and spicy. As for a comparison, not real sure. Ark should just can us ALL one pint apiece.
    Maybe the closest thing is gardenia mix, which is usually cauliflower and other vegs pickled and preeseure canned.
    Damn man, now I want pickled okra.
    You will never be forgotten. RIP Corporal Bradley Coy (USMC)

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Deebo For This Useful Post:

Arklatex (10-14-2015)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast