Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ruger AR 556

Don't get too close, I bite! RubberDuck's Avatar

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 11,105 Times in 4,188 Posts

Ruger AR 556

Went to the Michigan Police Supply here in Lansing today to help a friend chose his first handgun.
    While there the guy always guilts me into buying something. Last time it was the Ruger SR 1911
    I seem to have a soft spot for Ruger I have several.
    Ok to the point they have a stock of the Ruger AR556 for $550.
    I recently purchased a AK an never been on the AR craze but for that price why not toss one in the safe. One of my Favorite reviewers did a vid onbit.
    https://youtu.be/BdSz_UQLmlg

AR'S are a nasty rifle that shit all over itself. Im so over them. You crazy Duck! Lol
    "The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath." W. C. Fields

Don't get too close, I bite! RubberDuck's Avatar

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 11,105 Times in 4,188 Posts
    The only reason I would really want one would be if it ever came to tome to get the hell out an I take all my guns. That I do have at least one gun that will run 556/223.
    Thought is as great as the AK is sooner or later Ammo will be scarce on our soil to get when the 556/223 will not be as it is far more popular with out military an many citizens if the body hasn't been picked clean already might have a better chance pick that round up over the 7.62x39.
    Other reason no man can have to many guns to play with

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RubberDuck For This Useful Post:

hawgrider (12-05-2015),Inor (12-05-2015),Slippy (12-05-2015)

My Colt match target H bar left a bad taste in my mouth. Id rather have a M1 Garrand.
    "The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath." W. C. Fields

VIP Member!

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 14,267 Times in 5,906 Posts
    I think that the AR's, being as cheap as they are and the market flooded with them, they may be a good investment. If the Demotards get the Gun Ban rolling there may be another run on Black rifles and the ammo they require. Remember what happened after Sandy Hook guys!

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to shootbrownelk For This Useful Post:

BucketBack (05-08-2018),hawgrider (12-05-2015),Inor (12-05-2015)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 2,877 Times in 1,350 Posts
    I looked at a Ruger AR 556.qc looks pretty good actually.lgs let me open it up,good fit and finish.not a bad price,the one I looked at was $499.at the time.their warranty is a no brainer either,they do take good care of their customers.I know some peeps like to build/assemble but at that $$ and the warranty,just buy it.thinking about one for the wife.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to MI.oldguy For This Useful Post:

BucketBack (05-08-2018)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 34,020 Times in 10,450 Posts
    I looked at a Ruger 5.56 a while ago. I do not recall the model, but it was a SWEET gun! It weighed about 6 pounds, gas piston operated and was a great shooter. The problem with it was $$$. They wanted about $2000 for it. But that was at the height of the Obama gun scare, so I am sure that price would no longer hold. I am thinking I need to pick up at least one more next summer and the Ruger will definitely be one that I look at again.

Don't get too close, I bite! DerBiermeister's Avatar

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 6,617 Times in 2,513 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Inor View Post
    I looked at a Ruger 5.56 a while ago. I do not recall the model, but it was a SWEET gun! It weighed about 6 pounds, gas piston operated and was a great shooter. The problem with it was $$$. They wanted about $2000 for it. But that was at the height of the Obama gun scare, so I am sure that price would no longer hold. I am thinking I need to pick up at least one more next summer and the Ruger will definitely be one that I look at again.
    Inor
    That would be the rifle I have -- Ruger's SR-556. It came on the market around 2009. While it MSRP for $2100+, I got mine for $1200 at a gun show a few years back.

From every review I've ever seen, it is one of the top rated gas-pistons. It is a little heavy because of the long Troy rail, and thick barrel, so when it is fitted out, it easily gets up over 10lbs. I have fitted mine out to meet my needs, or more appropriate, what I think my needs may be some day. This of course is NOT what others would necessarily want. For instance, guys like OSFG, want standard, no frills guns, so that they can pick them up at random on the battlefield. Well, I am too old to be going out on a battlefield. I have one shot at making a rifle superb -- and that is what I have done. Spent some money, but who's counting. LOL

As they fixed a problem with bolt carrier tilt about 4 years ago, the rifle is now flawless -- with one exception. No one cares for the OEM trigger, me included. But I have put that one behind me with this year's Christmas present -- a Geiselle. OMG, you just wouldn't believe how sweet it is. Makes me drool to go out and actually shoot some Zombies.

I am going to do a post on my gun in a day or so showing a whole bunch of pics that focus on each part that I have customized. It was a work-in-progress for several years.
    Last edited by DerBiermeister; 01-19-2016 at 10:14 AM.
    “Keep your scope up and we’ll shoot that SOB down the throat” -- Dudley "Mush" Morton, USS Wahoo
    "Hit hard, hit fast, hit often" -- Adm William "Bull" Halsey

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DerBiermeister For This Useful Post:

Inor (01-19-2016),Sparkyprep (01-19-2016)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 33,024 Times in 14,691 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MI.oldguy View Post
    I looked at a Ruger AR 556.qc looks pretty good actually.lgs let me open it up,good fit and finish.not a bad price,the one I looked at was $499.at the time.their warranty is a no brainer either,they do take good care of their customers.I know some peeps like to build/assemble but at that $$ and the warranty,just buy it.thinking about one for the wife.
    Buy it, shoot it, take it apart and rebuild it. Repeat as needed

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 33,024 Times in 14,691 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DerBiermeister View Post
    Inor
    That would be the rifle I have -- Ruger's SR-556. It came on the market around 2009. While it MSRP for $2100+, I got mine for $1200 at a gun show a few years back.

From every review I've ever seen, it is one of the top rated gas-pistons. It is a little heavy because of the long Troy rail, and thick barrel, so when it is fitted out, it easily gets up over 10lbs. I have fitted mine out to meet my needs, or more appropriate, what I think my needs may be some day. This of course is NOT what others would necessarily want. For instance, guys like OSFG, want standard, no frills guns, so that they can pick them up at random on the battlefield. Well, I am too old to be going out on a battlefield. I have one shot at making a rifle superb -- and that is what I have done. Spent some money, but who's counting. LOL

As they fixed a problem with bolt carrier tilt about 4 years ago, the rifle is now flawless -- with one exception. No one cares for the OEM trigger, me included. But I have put that one behind me with this year's Christmas present -- a Geiselle. OMG, you just wouldn't believe how sweet it is. Makes me drool to go out and actually shoot some Zombies.

I am going to do a post on my gun in a day or so showing a whole bunch of pics that focus on each part that I have customized. It was a work-in-progress for several years.
    I have ALG triggers in my AR's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast