Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ice cream

Ice cream

Anyone here make ice cream? My youngest daughter lets us borrow her electric ice cream maker. So we are going to try it. Im using raw milk that still has all the cream in it. Will I need to follow the manufacturer recipe and still use whipping cream from the store?
    "The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath." W. C. Fields

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 34,237 Times in 10,488 Posts
    We make softserve from time to time. I would think making it from the cream of your raw milk would be great.

Let us know how it turns out. And then send some to us here in MN. This time of year it should be fine.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Inor For This Useful Post:

hawgrider (12-12-2015)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 3,702 Times in 1,442 Posts
    Great family time ......I still have a hand crank model. I assume pics to follow?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to A Watchman For This Useful Post:

hawgrider (12-12-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by Inor View Post
    We make softserve from time to time. I would think making it from the cream of your raw milk would be great.

Let us know how it turns out. And then send some to us here in MN. This time of year it should be fine.
    Thats kinda what I was thinking. I'll try it. We just switched raw milk suppliers. Old one now wants a year paid in advance at 8 bucks a gallon. New one is self serve. 10 year old operation. All sales on the honor system make change and leave yout money in the tray. They sell other home made goodies maple syrup and other goodies. Milk is only 5 bucks a gallon. Its located in KKK country so I know my women will be safe when they pick it up in Cohoctah Mi.
    "The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath." W. C. Fields

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hawgrider For This Useful Post:

Arklatex (12-13-2015),Inor (12-12-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by A Watchman View Post
    Great family time ......I still have a hand crank model. I assume pics to follow?
    I am the picture King Lol stand by for take off!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to hawgrider For This Useful Post:

A Watchman (12-13-2015)

Here are some pics of the new raw milk gig.
    Maple syrup

The old place delivered it in plastic jugs to a town nearby. This place rocks because its all self serve just like the old days when I lived on the south shore of the big lake in Wisconsin. The customer has to spray the vat nozzle down and clean it each time before you draw the raw milk. The spray you use is hydrogen peroxide.

Last edited by hawgrider; 12-12-2015 at 05:38 PM.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hawgrider For This Useful Post:

A Watchman (12-13-2015),Arklatex (12-13-2015),Inor (12-12-2015)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 34,237 Times in 10,488 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hawgrider View Post
    Thats kinda what I was thinking. I'll try it. We just switched raw milk suppliers. Old one now wants a year paid in advance at 8 bucks a gallon. New one is self serve. 10 year old operation. All sales on the honor system make change and leave yout money in the tray. They sell other home made goodies maple syrup and other goodies. Milk is only 5 bucks a gallon. Its located in KKK country so I know my women will be safe when they pick it up in Cohoctah Mi.
    Have you tried making cheese yet? I'll bet, with the fat content of raw milk, homemade cheese would be something special. We make it from store bought milk and it is damn good.

Quote Originally Posted by Inor View Post
    Have you tried making cheese yet? I'll bet, with the fat content of raw milk, homemade cheese would be something special. We make it from store bought milk and it is damn good.
    No darn it I havent yet its been on my short list since you told me about it. I have the links and have done some reading but sadly the short list got long. Hunting will be over Jan 1rst Its on my list with some jerky and sausage making and stuffing smoking ect. The home made cheese with a whisper of smoke with my new cold smoke tube would be delightfully delicious!

Here goes...

Doing the easy method recipe.

6 cups cream
    3 cups milk
    2 tablespoons lemon juice
    1 tablespoon vanilla extract.

Layer the ice and salt turn the juice on. Books say 20 to 40 minutes.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to hawgrider For This Useful Post:

Arklatex (12-13-2015)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 3,702 Times in 1,442 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hawgrider View Post
    Here are some pics of the new raw milk gig.
    Maple syrup

The old place delivered it in plastic jugs to a town nearby. This place rocks because its all self serve just like the old days when I lived on the south shore of the big lake in Wisconsin. The customer has to spray the vat nozzle down and clean it each time before you draw the raw milk. The spray you use is hydrogen peroxide.

Looks familiar.... I grew up on a dairy farm....150 cows twice a day, that milk straight from the tank was unbeatable.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to A Watchman For This Useful Post:

hawgrider (12-13-2015)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast